Daylight Running Lights W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
Any ideas as to how to convert to have these ? - I ASSUME that they were OEM in some parts of the world, and guess it might just be a new switch ?

Koolvin did this mod tp his W202 and I believe theres a how to guide as well on a different site mentioned on here before. Try the favourites section.

All you need is a relay and dropper resister so that when the sidelights are on and the engine is running, the dipped beam receives a reduced power.

An alternate solution would be to fit a strip of superbright white LED similar to Audi DRL's.

An alternate solution would be to fit a strip of superbright white LED similar to Audi DRL's.

Make sure you pick up a Burberry cap while you are at it .... ;)

Am I not right in saying that DRLs are usually sidelights? A relay with wiring to the front and rear sidelight bulbs when the engine is running would cover that requirement.

I wonder what the OEM solution is? New cars it will be software...

DRL are usually dim dipped headlights, not sidelights.

If they are wanted passively then a relay from the ignition switch and dropper resistor will suffice.

Can you not just put your dipped beams on???
In some countries it is a legal requirement to have DRL. It's not that you might forget or something as they must turn on automatically without driver intervention.

Running around with your headlamps on all day has the small side-effect of burning out your bulbs earlier and effecting your mpg when compared to only using lamps when it's dark. This is why there is some creativity on the part of owners, manufacturers and the aftermarket suppliers.

In some countries it is a legal requirement to have DRL. It's not that you might forget or something as they must turn on automatically without driver intervention.

Running around with your headlamps on all day has the small side-effect of burning out your bulbs earlier and effecting your mpg when compared to only using lamps when it's dark. This is why there is some creativity on the part of owners, manufacturers and the aftermarket suppliers.

How much sooner do the bulbs burn out? How much extra fuel does it use?

On a lot of Mercs you can set headlights to constant so not needing to worry about forgetting..

How much sooner do the bulbs burn out? How much extra fuel does it use?
Well if you normally use your headlamps 50% of the time you are driving but with DRL they're on 100% of the time I would imagine they'd last half as long.

As for fuel economy all electrical devices put strain on the alternator which in turn puts strain on the engine. Ok we're not talking about a lot of fuel but you will definitely lose some mpg, however negligable it may be.

In some countries it's a legal requirement to have the headlamps on if you use your windscreen wipers, I'm not joking. There are factory options and aftermarket kits available to ensure this happens so you don't get busted for it by the feds.

It's more because I might have a requirement to go to Denmark soon, and would be driving.... I know I can just turn them on everytime, but It's the warning buzzer, as they stay on after the engine has been turned off that I want to get rid of.... They are OEM in Denmark, and I think the some states in the USA, so there should be an easy option........

It's more because I might have a requirement to go to Denmark soon, and would be driving.... I know I can just turn them on everytime, but It's the warning buzzer, as they stay on after the engine has been turned off that I want to get rid of.... They are OEM in Denmark, and I think the some states in the USA, so there should be an easy option........
You know what you should do?

Fit some autolights and either set the sensitivity to maximum/minimum whichever way it works or hide the sensor in the glovebox/boot/put tape over it etc :)

It's more because I might have a requirement to go to Denmark soon, and would be driving....

Is it a legal requirement for cars to display DRL when driving, especially visitor vehicles.?
It didn't used to be but maybe thay have changed the law since I was there.

Running with lights on uses approximately 3% fuel economy.iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom