De Badged.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair comment as I wasn't clear. However, I'm not saying that a badge tells me whether or not it's safe to overtake. No one factor will determine whether or not it's safe to overtake. I just believe that the more information that I have, the better I can judge a situation. In my opinion there are two specific circumstances where it is very useful to know what the car in front is (and this isn't meant to be an exhaustive list!):

1 - at traffic lights, where two lanes merge to one. I'm not suggesting that I want to burn every other car at traffic lights, but it is useful to know the 0-30 time of the car next to you. If it's a very slow car, I can probably move ahead of the other car at a fairly casual pace. If we're evenly matched for speed, I'll see how the other car launches to see whether or not they are in a rush to get somewhere before deciding whether to go ahead or let the other car go first.

2 - when other drivers get competitive. I don't know why but some drivers are very happy to drive slowly until another car tries to overtake. When overtaking, I like to think ahead about what I will do if the car in front floors the gas when they see me overtaking, i.e. whether or not I should duck back behind them.

Last edited:
pammy said:
err - but the badges tell you nothing about the driving competency or style of the driver - if you need badges to tell you whether it's safe to overtake or not - scary :crazy:

;) I was to polite to say anything.

I think basically if you catch a car up then the chances are you are travelling faster than they are.

Traffic Lights.
Ignore the driver, ignore the size of engine\performance, pull away IF..... it is safe to do so (green traffic light). If a car tries to out drag you fine, they win, you loose, they have burnt oodles of petrol, put unnecessary wear and tear on there drive train, you can laugh because you know you are driving a mean, lean flying machine.. Then the other driver will write a message on their forum saying how they out dragged the hottest meanest Mercedes-Benz, but you know the truth.

In reality a 1ltr car will quite easily get you disqualified from driving.

Happy motoring,
John the kill joy

1992 500E, de-badged.
Actually just bought a 500E monogram for the boot but now wondering if anyone has a W124 with badge that they could measure up position wise for me??

Paul64 said:
1992 500E, de-badged.
Actually just bought a 500E monogram for the boot but now wondering if anyone has a W124 with badge that they could measure up position wise for me??

I'm not a fan of badges on the boot lid BUT usually new badges bought from Stealers for the current range of MBs are supposed to come with a template for this purpose. On early W126s the badging came as a whole "piece" with pins to slot into the bootlid that already had the drilled pins... ;)

Contact MB customer Services and they may email you an exract scale diagram of the bootlid with the tchncial info related to the badge.

250D - Debadged. It was like that when I got it but I'd have probably removed them anyway as I don't like the clutter. The icons are fine, like the star (or VW's symbol), but I don't need to see jumbles of numbers and letters regardless of what they say.

180K. Partly debadged. Only the "kompressor" badge remains on the right. That's how I bought it... :)

Andy

My car is a Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5-15
Came debadged from the factory! :)

E320 CDI Estate - de-badged by previous owner. Looks much smarter imho.

With the AMG quad exhaust and AMG rear bumper, those unfamiliar with the marque will be none the wiser and those who are familiar will be left wondering.

I picked up my car from the garage after some warranty work and it was parked slap bang next another E320 CDI Estate in the same colour, badged and in totally standard guise. My car knocked spots off the other one in the looks stakes...even if I say so myself :)

I saw C43 badged C180, when i came along side i gave him the thumbs up, he had a big smile on his face.

C43AMG said:
I saw C43 badged C180, when i came along side i gave him the thumbs up, he had a big smile on his face.

Or was it a 180 dressed like a 43??

C43 AMG - Proud to be badged :D

C43AMG said:

I had thoughts about that :devil: :devil:

Dieselman said:
Or was it a 180 dressed like a 43??

No it was the real Macoy.

W203 Debadged
Easier to wax:bannana:

nigel cross said:
W203 Debadged
Easier to wax:bannana:

Very true .

My Car CV 1988 to date:

Company cars:

1988 Vauxhall Astra 1.3L - debadged
1989 Astra SRi - debadged
1991 Cavalier 1.6L - debadged
1994 Peugeot 306 Dturbo - debadged
1997 Citroen Xantia SX TD - debadged
1998 Golf SE TD - debadged

Then left company to work for myself, so

2000 Volvo V40 2.0T SE - debadged
2001 Alfa 156 Sportwagon Selespeed - debadged
2002 C200K - debadged
2003 CLK270CDI - debadged
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 RN - debadged
2006 E270CDi - debadged (pick it tomorrow... in the snow?!)

In the meanwhile I have also run a 1976 Stag for weekends etc. A car that had no rear badges at all and no model differentiation, yet still most people remember just by it's model name alone.

Eagle-eyed readers may have spotted a theme here.

My reason for debadging is simply aesthetic. I really don't care whether other people know what model my car is or what they think of my choice. If I did, there'd still always be someone else on the road with something that's bigger, faster, flashier, newer, more expensive etc.

The bootlid just invariably looks so much smarter with a single badge in the middle (or in the Volvo's case, none at all). When was the last time you saw a car designer present the new concept car at a motorshow with little silver plastic letters stuck on the back with Bostick?

So I will carry on getting the dealers to remove the badges before my cars arrive, no matter where in the food-chain they may be perceived to be, yea even until it comes to pass that I finally splash out on that Veyron I've been saving up for...

P.S. Anyone know how to get rid of the awful "Elegance" labels on the side?

jdrrco said:

Should be self adhesive. Just pull em off or use a hairdryer on it just before.

jdrrco said:

;) Buy an Avantgarde!

Sorry about that. If it isa seperate badge then as has been suggested. Hair dryer (contact any SLK owner) and floss. If there is any residue then it will easily come off.

Good luck,
John

glojo said:
Hair dryer (contact any SLK owner)

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom