De Badged.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
High-Lo said:
Should be self adhesive. Just pull em off or use a hairdryer on it just before.

Haven't had hair since 1985, so no idea how to operate one of them!!

jdrrco said:
Haven't had hair since 1985, so no idea how to operate one of them!!

In that case do what the locals tend to do.

A blooming great big screwdriver.

Simply gouge behind the badge and twist. You might then have to pull at the badge, but it will come off.

John

glojo said:
In that case do what the locals tend to do.

A blooming great big screwdriver.

Simply gouge behind the badge and twist. You might then have to pull at the badge, but it will come off.

John

Wow! Thanks guys, the hairdryer & dental floss trick worked perfectly. Less than 5 minutes and the "Elegance"s were history! A quick rub down with White Spirit cleared away the glue and you'd never know they were ever there. Previous debadging carried out by me (Golf & Outback) has taken ages, so this was a great technique to discover. Thanks again.

I too have been toying with the idea of debadging my car
And even edited a pic to see what it would look like and still aint sure
Either nice and clean
Or showing of that mines A C230 KOMPRESSOR (which i am proud of)

Attachments

• mbclubpic.JPG
    mbclubpic.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 37
  • mbclubpic2.JPG
    mbclubpic2.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 35
benny said:
I too have been toying with the idea of debadging my car
And even edited a pic to see what it would look like and still aint sure
Either nice and clean
Or showing of that mines A C230 KOMPRESSOR (which i am proud of)

Nice car Benny. I would leave it badged. The only thing is there are usually bigger gaps between the lettering on the C230 but yours look a bit bunched together.

The usual spacing is like the car below (borrowed from eBay)

cc_1_b.JPG

I think you should definitely leave it badged and be proud :bannana:

Present:
Debadged '94 E320C AMG-BlueBlack
Debadged '98 SL280-Zircon Green
Badged '01 S320 CDI-Silver
Badged '00 CLK230K Cabriolet-Quartz Blue
Past:
Badged '83 230E-White
Badged '88 190E-Blue
Debadged '88 230E-Black
Badged '89 300E-BlueBlack
Badged '95 E320 Ele-Silver
Badged '97 C180 Ele-BlueBlack
Badged '97 C180 Sport-Alexandrite
Debadged '97 CLK200 Ele-Tourmaline
Debadged '98 E280 Avant-Amazon
Debadged '99 E240 Ele-Aquamarine
Badged '99 CLK230K Ele-Silver
Badged '99 CLK320 Ele-GreenBlack

Wear your badge with pride - I do - on the boot and number plate.

However, if I owned the recently featured W124 twin technics turbo, I'd be tempted to remove the 'turbo' badge to complete the 'q' car look.

Rgds

Les

thought my badges looked odd and a bit wobbly, am just gonna have to BADGE it with a brand new set, along with new locks, shiny pedals that everone seems to have, cupholder and front mud flaps and also get the boot resprayed (what a surprise, rust around lock) the boys at mercedes are gonna love me.

the badged /debadged thread with a twist

Hello there,I have a metallic green-black c200 which until today was badged,:) however I let the mod bug hit me and today took the badge off but shock horror it has left a lot of the glue on the paintwork,which has gone rock hard and actually feels like part of the paintwork.
So I am now desperate for any advice on how to remove the unsightly lumps and marks from it. :(

I did it the way I have seen posted many times heat it up ,used dental floss then hot water etc.
I have since tried tar remover from halfords but to no avail.
H E L P PLEASE ;)

oh by the way I think it does look better on a black merc debadged , as long as its done properly lol!!
bruce

This thread has done the rounds on the BMW forums as well and as previous posters have commented, if you have a chicken chaser engine you tend get out the dental floss and hair dryer and tell everyone "it is much easier to clean without the badge on" If however it is a thirsty six pot and you have lost 30% of the cars value in the first year in depreciation you tend to leave the badge on as some sort of anti-green "who cares, it's only money" trophy/symbol.

As both mine are thirsty 6 pots they both proudly wear their anti-green badges with pride!

Bruceseaton- have you tried reheating the remaining goo? Otherwise try soaking it with WD40 and try and scrape it off with something like a credit card. It will come off eventually.

bruceseaton said:
took the badge off but shock horror it has left a lot of the glue on the paintwork,which has gone rock hard and actually feels like part of the paintwork.
So I am now desperate for any advice on how to remove the unsightly lumps and marks from it. :(

Alternatively, visit a "friendly" bodyshop and ask them politely to remove the glue/gunk and they should do if for nothing. They will use a polishing/buffing machine and afterwards apply polish to the affected area to get rid of any possible swirl marks from the buffing machine and apply wax...;)

SLK55 AMG. De-badged.

looks cleaner without, IMHO. and i like minimilist. less is more etc.

and its easier to clean, polish etc.

Dont go much for the idea of needing badges to show off. people either know what it is or they dont!

C180k - debadged about two weeks back, not because I care about engine size because at the end of the day, its kind of obvious when you

1. see microscopic brake discs
2. hear a supercharger
3. hear a 4 cylinder engine
and 4. an engine that has to scream its absolute **** off to get above 5 mph :)

so my reason behind it is as previously mentioned, I believe it looks neater and also accentuates the rear spoiler (albeit you cannot even see it in the picture) but most of all... its easy to clean :p

sigmerc2.jpg

230ce debadged ... cos i prefer the clean lines, not worried about cleaning being easier as i like to clean my car ....

There will always be the people out there who will refuse to believe you that you debadged the car beacuse you like the look as opposed to wanting to pretend its something it isnt , but who cares , let them think what they want .... doesn't bother me ....

As Tilly said, if you know what youy are looking for , the differences are obvious ....

I like to cruise now :cool: , grew out of driving like an idiot with my last car ...

bruceseaton said:
Hello there,I have a metallic green-black c200 which until today was badged,:) however I let the mod bug hit me and today took the badge off but shock horror it has left a lot of the glue on the paintwork,which has gone rock hard and actually feels like part of the paintwork.

I did it the way I have seen posted many times heat it up ,used dental floss then hot water etc.
I have since tried tar remover from halfords but to no avail.
H E L P PLEASE ;)

oh by the way I think it does look better on a black merc debadged , as long as its done properly lol!!
bruce

Have you tried White Spirit?

lol I followed an identical car to mine yesterday bar the badges and it made me chuckle and think of this topic. It looked sooooooo wrong, it was half badged... The C"insert small engine size here"k was removed but they had left the KOMPRESSOR badging on the right hand side and it looked really ugly :(

If they're removing one badge but not the other it leads you to think its because they're embarassed about the engine size but at the same time... leaving the kompressor badge on will let anyone know that its only a 1.8 anyway so it defeats the point in doing it! Talk about strange...

I followed a de-badged Porsche Boxster last summer, perhaps the lady driver tells her mates it's a 911 cab. ?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom