De-chrome or not??? half done with comparison pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I actually prefer the de-chrome, gives the car a slightly fresher look. I would leave the lights though and I would keep the badges and star in chrome too.

I'm actually thinking of de-chroming my car next week, but mine won't be reversible as I'm getting the trim painted in body colour (silver in my case). I generally think most MB's have too much applied chrome which makes them look a bit dated.

Yes, I agree entirely. Mind you they are old men's cars ;) :D

I just did the same on my C55 Estate using Black Vinyl Tape from e-bay. Not to happy with the corners as I got some wrinkles (and on the car). Did you use heat?

I just did the same on my C55 Estate using Black Vinyl Tape from e-bay. Not to happy with the corners as I got some wrinkles (and on the car). Did you use heat?

No but that's the great thing about electrical tape as long as your not using the cheap crap its very stretchy and easily moulds to the shape.

Must admit I like the new colour of the rear lights. Just hope you don't fall foul of the MoT

I see you also do your own ironing...

De-chromed looks good and you almost have to smoke the rear lenses on a blacked out car. Lovely car sir!

No but that's the great thing about electrical tape as long as your not using the cheap crap its very stretchy and easily moulds to the shape.

That'll be amalgamation tape then rather than insulation will it not?

What a great idea, I was thinking about dechroming mine, but didnt want to go down the route of painting, I was looking into plasti-dip but leccy tape id a great idea :thumb:

Do it, it's a no brainier! I had mine done from a professional wrapping company, transforms the car. :D
7340dbf09cda5c70204ac456def11d55.jpg

have you got a before pic?

cheers

Looks awesome blacked out. I also do the rear lights this way works very well

Blacked out looks awesome as well as the black light
Flat badge on the bonnet black grills and wheels and yellow or orange painted brake callipers

DeChromed

Attachments

• image-3105933471.jpg
    image-3105933471.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2180128698.jpg
    image-2180128698.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2033307714.jpg
    image-2033307714.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image-4085639585.jpg
    image-4085639585.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 75
Last night I decided to have ago at de chroming my black cl55 and I managed half before it was to dark to finish.

what's peoples thoughts?

Another thing the (not to everyone's taste) rear lights are currently out as I'm tinting them out in the spray booth at work today just the red parts not the clear, I'll have them fitted back in later and I'm also giving the brembo calipers a lick of paint to neaten them up tonight too.

It took a while for me to decide which one I liked best as it's a really good looking car either way, but fwiw, this old man's vote goes for the blacked out look. Would really like to see the back lights now, along with a lot of other CL55 fans no doubt !

Looks good de-chromed but I would had changed rear lights for 4 white strip ones and not sprayed them , the 4 white strip lights look so mean

Aren't there possible legal ramifications in tinting rear lights?

I could see that the fitment of tinted or illegal tail lights could form a strong defense from someone should they ever happen to rear end you.

I prefer the chrome, after all that's how they come. Chrome has always been a big thing on cars and bikes, in my opinion of course.

Blacked out looks good, but I would've left the rear lenses red and painted callipers red and fitted a one slat front grille.

Looking good though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom