De-chroming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyS

Car
CLK 320 Elegance '99
Hi all,

I have a w208 320 Elegance which I have debadged, put bigger wheels on and fitted with a big star grill.

I saw a pic from another member here who's car didn't have the chrome strip around the windows etc.

To see what it looks like on mine I have put black pinstripe over the chrome and from a distance I do prefer the look but from up close it's not an acceptable level of quality.

Would be interested to know any tips for dechroming.. can the strip be taken off? Or can I rub the chrome down to get a key and then paint with a satin black or something - I was thinking using a fine art brush.. Or.. does it need to be masked up and sprayed or is there another option.
(apart from the obvious leaving well alone!)

Cheers
Andy

Mate ....

Take the big star of horror off ..... they look ( without exception ) dreadful ...

Tips for dechroming:

Dechrome the big star.

To do this, you will need to remove it from the car and put it in the dustbin.

PJ

:D :D :D

You buggers!

I thought to myself shall I put in some sort of disclaimer about the star or just leave it and hope no one comments..

Well I like it anyway - always have done, when I first started looking at CLK's with a view to buying one i always felt the front grill and bonnet star made it slightly 'old mannish'. This is just my opinion obviously and no offense intended to anyone (most of you by the looks of it..) that thinks any different. :)

Now.. has anyone got any tips on dechroming the window surrounding chrome??

I got quite excited when I saw all those replies, only to find myself being berated for my big star shenanigans!! :devil:

Thanks Ollie,

Any idea what paint? And could I get away with using a fine brush or should it be sprayed?

Cheers
Andy

Rally Turtles is a Sport model , it also has colour coded door handles.

You could find the VIN of a car with your paint colour and in Sport spec and order the strips in from Merc ( do they come pre painted ? )...

Just rub down the strips to get a 'key' for the paint to stick to, and spray them.

Ignore the people taking pops at your big star grill, it's your car after all!

Mind you, they have a point, those grills are hideous...

:D

You could find the VIN of a car with your paint colour and in Sport spec and order the strips in from Merc ( do they come pre painted ? )...
They are not painted at all IIRC, your choices are chrome or black plastic.

Hi all,

I have a w208 320 Elegance which I have debadged, put bigger wheels on and fitted with a big star grill.

I saw a pic from another member here who's car didn't have the chrome strip around the windows etc.

To see what it looks like on mine I have put black pinstripe over the chrome and from a distance I do prefer the look but from up close it's not an acceptable level of quality.

Would be interested to know any tips for dechroming.. can the strip be taken off? Or can I rub the chrome down to get a key and then paint with a satin black or something - I was thinking using a fine art brush.. Or.. does it need to be masked up and sprayed or is there another option.
(apart from the obvious leaving well alone!)

Cheers
Andy

Andy, heres a picture of my car de-chromed. Luckily i didn't have the chrome strip on windows (Sport Edition). As others have said if you are intent on doing this might be an idea to buy second set if you intend to return your car back to standard in the future. Other than that best to rub down with wet 'n' dry mask up prime and spray with satin black will give a much better finish.

As to the big star grille i got rid of mine, but at the end of the day its down to personal choice. Good luck.

Has anyone had any experience of taking off the chrome strip and putting one on? It occurs to me that if I am buying another one I could paint the one that isn't on the car and then put it on??

I'm sure its possible to remove just the strip but maybe more effort than its worth. Why not ring a breaker like Mercman southhampton and get a "Classic" set without the chrome strip at all?

Is a 'classic' set something i could get for a w208? Obviously I still have to remove the chrome still and then put on the 'classic' set?

I know w209s came only in avantgarde and elegance but I'm sure I've seen W208s without chrome- maybe they are avantgarde trims?? I'm sure an owner will be along soon to clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom