De-coding window markings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremy156

Car
1995 E320 Coupe
Hi,

Does anyone know of a place to look up the markings on car windscreens and other window glass?

My car is fitted with PPG Solextra which I believe was standard on the 1998 Avantgarge model (any please correct me?) and my windscreen was replaced yesterday by RAC Auto Windscreens with an aftermarket screen made by Splintex.

I am concerned to know whether this is a match for the Solextra glass that was removed:

The markings that obviously differ are:

New windscreen: AS1 - DOT24
Other windows: AS2 - DOT18

So, I can assume maybe they describe that it's a windscreen and not a size or rear window - but do any of the numbers or markings on the glass indicate whether it's heat-resistant or not? Or is it just the branding that will tell?

All the markings on the new windscreen are (and I wish I'd noted the old one):

Made by Splintex
AS1 M145 DOT24
(E6) 43R-007986

Perhaps someone in the windscreen business could point me towards a description or decoder for these markings please?

Many thanks,
Jeremy

Triple-x glass had a system to indicate when it was made.
I remember when my Dad bought a Mk2 Granada, the marking on the driver's door window was different to the others. Probably broken into at some time. The s/h car salesman couldn't understand how I knew the glass had been replaced.
Can't find anything similar on Solextra or Splintex.

Last edited:
Problem solved as it happens... the rain sensor turned out to be faulty since the replacement of the windscreen, so RAC Auto Windscreens have agreed to replace it - this time with a proper MB glass. (Switch to the first setting and instead of one sweep and stopping to wait for water, it just kept sweeping. They fiddled around and got it working, reversed it out of the garage and it stopped. Very dodgy - hence they agreed a new screen.)

Anyway, back to the glass markings, most curious is actually the "E" numbers.... the old screen was E11, the cheap screen is E6 and the side and rear glass is all E2. I'd love to know what they refer to.

That's why I have broken screens changed by a Merc dealer.

jeremy156 said:
Anyway, back to the glass markings, most curious is actually the "E" numbers.... the old screen was E11, the cheap screen is E6 and the side and rear glass is all E2. I'd love to know what they refer to.

Just found out, it's the country of manufacture.
http://www.psni.police.uk/11-05_psni_policy_procedure_and_guidance.pdf
Scoll down to page 3 and 4.

Speedo odometer change to KM

deleted

Last edited:
The little single number at the bottom is the year the glass was made isnt it?

Lifted from another forum.....

QUOTE:
When I took out my insurance policy I made sure I could get Audi parts for my car, that includes the windscreen.

QUOTE:
Yeah but Audi don't make the part....

QUOTE:
Always love it when 5 series customers call and ask for OE. As usual, I'll explain that BMW don't make glass, hence I'll offer to wait whilst they walk out to the car to see who makes the glass, as of course they won't have a clue. Splintex are OE supplier on the E60.

'Splintex glass is made in South Africa Sir.'

Last edited:
phlat, phlat phlat, from A170CDi

2001 W168 A170CDi,
Can't help feeling I'm loosing the will to live.
mad.gif

Drove to the supermarket, fine. switched off and went in for 5 minuets, came out and started Ok but there is now this noise like it is blowing from the exhaust or an injector seal has gone, as the bloody thing is covered in plastic I can't see what it is so before I ruin my Sunday getting covered in dirt again does anyone know what it might be. the car stars and drives fine, probably as well as it has ever been but that noise is wrong, seems to be coming from front right side but inboard of the MAF area.???

The number after few dots "...6" state the last digit of the year it was made so this would be 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom