Deactivating Mercedes Me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dm2583

Car
2015 w212 E63 Bi-Turbo
Hi guys

So I have a W205 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus vehicle which I acquired through a friend who is a Mercedes employee and gets a car allocation which she can pass on to friends and family.

The car I have is registered under her name and for some strange reason, she has decided to tap into my car via the Mercedes Me app and proceeds to message me from time to time telling me where I've been and my economy etc etc. I find this rather disturbing and was wondering if theres a way I can disable the connection to Mercedes Me from the car?

Thanks in advance

Why is it still registered to her if you acquired it from her? It should be in your name, and then you can have Mercedes Me and she won't have access?

Or you could ask her for her Mercedes Me logon credentials and see if you can change the settings online?

Or try contacting the Mercedes Me helpline:

00800 9 777 7777
[email protected]-benz.com

They are very helpful.

Although, if the car is not registered to you on the Mercedes Me website, the first thing would be to find out how it can be transferred to you, because it is unlikely that you will be able to make changes to any settings on what is showing on the Mercedes Benz system as someone else's car.

But short of physically disconnecting the KOM Module, I don't see what you can do on the car to stop it from communicating with Mercedes Benz.

Great example of spying nightmare of modern times. Whoever is registered keeper and creates account on website, can spy on the driver ...

How about creating your account and pairing the car with it? Not sure if it's going to stop showing information on the friend's account.

That's from Mercedes Me Portal:
"Thanks to registration your details will be recorded in your own personal account. You can pair your vehicle with your account and see the services available for your vehicle. In the Mercedes me Portal you can change your details, your email address and your password at any time."

These websites have huge loop holes. I once added to MyService car I was looking to buy, wanted to check service history of it. Soon enough I got reminder of next service addressed to previous owner.

Also managed to add someone's else car in myAudi by mistake. Dealer gave me wrong VIN number and could see all information related to it.

Last edited:
According to the Mercedes Me FAQS:
I have bought a Mercedes connect me vehicle in a private sale. What do I do now?
Please contact your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer. Our colleagues at the Retailer will be able to link the vehicle with your Mercedes me portal account and allow use of the Mercedes connect me services for you. For verification purposes, you will need to visit the Retailer in person. If you so wish, you can accept the terms of use for the various services in advance.

Why is it still registered to her if you acquired it from her? It should be in your name, and then you can have Mercedes Me and she won't have access?

Its registered to her because she's allowed 3 vehicles a year on her scheme which she can pass on to friends and family but as she's the employee, must be the registered keeper for the duration.

Great example of spying nightmare of modern times. Whoever is registered keeper and creates account on website, can spy on the driver ...

How about creating your account and pairing the car with it? Not sure if it's going to stop showing information on the friend's account.

That's from Mercedes Me Portal:
"Thanks to registration your details will be recorded in your own personal account. You can pair your vehicle with your account and see the services available for your vehicle. In the Mercedes me Portal you can change your details, your email address and your password at any time."

These websites have huge loop holes. I once added to MyService car I was looking to buy, wanted to check service history of it. Soon enough I got reminder of next service addressed to previous owner.

Also managed to add someone's else car in myAudi by mistake. Dealer gave me wrong VIN number and could see all information related to it.

Originally I did create my own account and i was partially able to use it but for things like remote locking/unlock, i couldn't use it as it required me going into a dealership with proof of ownership (which I don't have for reasons mentioned above). Since then she has registered with her details which has since disconnected my car from my account.

Can you re-register it to your account back, even if you don't have all functions? Unless she's in sales and can takeover the car and put it back into her account. Anyway, it's really strange behaviour. If she wants to check on her car to make sure it's alright, she doesn't have to tell you that's she's spying on you. Or she can just trust you. I think, I would return the car back to someone who's spying on me like this.

On another matter, if you don't register your car on website, is manufacturer still spying on you?

dm2583 I'm just curious - how do you sell the car if it's registered to her? Does she sell it and give you the money or do you have her written permission to sell it etc?

Or did i miss something and you just use the car with no financial input?

dm2583 I'm just curious - how do you sell the car if it's registered to her? Does she sell it and give you the money or do you have her written permission to sell it etc?

Or did i miss something and you just use the car with no financial input?

Mercedes staff of a certain seniority get cars which they can give to friends and family for 12 months. So i have this car for 12 months and pay her a ridiculously low monthly fee for the privilege. After 12 months it goes back and you get another one. So its basically 12 month leases at highly subsidised rates and with no deposit.

Can you re-register it to your account back, even if you don't have all functions? Unless she's in sales and can takeover the car and put it back into her account. Anyway, it's really strange behaviour. If she wants to check on her car to make sure it's alright, she doesn't have to tell you that's she's spying on you. Or she can just trust you. I think, I would return the car back to someone who's spying on me like this.

On another matter, if you don't register your car on website, is manufacturer still spying on you?

I tried. It wouldn't let me

Mercedes staff of a certain seniority get cars which they can give to friends and family for 12 months. So i have this car for 12 months and pay her a ridiculously low monthly fee for the privilege. After 12 months it goes back and you get another one. So its basically 12 month leases at highly subsidised rates and with no deposit.

Well put up with it....

Might be first world problem, but it's still privacy issue. The same tool can be used by jealous husband/wife/gf/bf to check on other half. And you don't have to install any spying software on a phone ...

One reason I never activated Mercedes Me.... :)

Sounds legit. ;)

It's not a privacy issue. It's her car!

Yep, this.

She's the registered keeper so can do what she wants. I was just asking whether there was something I could disable within the car to stop the connection between car and App.

It's not a privacy issue. It's her car!

Wow this sounds like a conspiracy theory.

It is still a privacy issue. The registered keeper is not by law the owner of car. And even if they were, you can bet that all data will also be duplicated/stored on a big database somewhere at Mercedes/GCHQ/NSA etc.

This makes me never want to buy a new car ever again. Whilst you may be able turn it off from the 'settings' to make yourself feel like it's switched off, I imagine it will be virtually impossible to deactivate the hardware itself which will almost certainly continue to operate through 'back door' program development. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were also tapping into our microphones. All you cocaine sniffing MP's/judges/doctors better be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom