Dead battery in de-locked boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG J

Car
C180 Classic
Hi all,

Got bit of a problem i don't use my C class much got my company car so it just sit's in the drive, i do start it every couple of weeks let it tick over. But got back from holiday went to start her but battery if completely dead, not a problem i'll get a new battery but the boot lid has been de-locked how do i get in there :confused: :confused:

Spent ages in the engine bay looking for the power cable's without adding power to the starter motor wire is there any other way :confused:

Many thanks

behind the washer, in front of the ECU on the passenger side, there is a little box marked X. that is your positive.
any point on the car body is your negative

Why make it so complicated ?

Remove the rear bench seat and then what your aiming to do is pull out the bottom of the backrest of the rear seat and stretch up and pull the release lever to drop the rear seat down

If his w202 is like mine, then theres a firewall behind the rear seat, and zero access to the boot. Also, I think hooking up a feed to a positive terminal is a tad easier than taking the seats apart...

Im stupid :eek:

i did not read it properly - i jumped the gun a bit there!!!:crazy:

I assumed they never had driver jump points in the front of 202 and 210 because they are not clearly coloured red like the 203 and 211.
I would normally use a manual key but some times now i think of it i have had to use the jump points as the lock in the boots of the 202 and 210 seizes because they are never used and have a tendancy to dry out.
So lube up them boot locks if your battery fails

Im so sorry ignore me i dont know what im talking about

LOL

I only learned about the jump points recently myself, and I have seen TWO roadside techs ignore it due to the black wires aswell.

It's a shame theres no kind of access flap in the firewall, would save endless hours of problems for so many people...

I assumed they never had driver jump points in the front of 202 and 210 because they are not clearly coloured red like the 203 and 211.
I would normally use a manual key but some times now i think of it i have had to use the jump points as the lock in the boots of the 202 and 210 seizes because they are never used and have a tendancy to dry out.
So lube up them boot locks if your battery fails

At car service they should lubricate the locks, in my opinion they do it even too extensively.

I did find the jump point from the engine bay on my W210 but I have not been able to locate any from my W211. I thought it was because the battery is accessible from the trunk unlike on the W210. I'd be interested about photos showing those jump points (or is it different for different cars, my experience is from 211.026 cars).

The W221 does have jump points at the front for both batteries, the ones for the rear battery are mainly for a charger as the front battery is used for starting.

Would any one be able to explain the arraignment on my car, I assume that 1 is live because of the red mark, however there is no voltage at 1 when I put a test bulb to it regardless of whether the ignition is on or off, also any idea what 2 and 3 are for?
Don’t have a problem, just curious.

Dec
JumpLeads.jpg

I had exactly the same problem last week - when mithered by one of the kids and left lights on.

It was dark and couldn't see anything in this back street I'd parked in - I just put my +ive lead on these two nuts[2 and 3] and had to use the engine block to get a good earth - started first time once I'd got it all connected correctly.

The OP doesn't have a boot lock , it's been de-locked for that ' smooth , but hard to get into if your battery goes dead ' look .... ;)

I had exactly the same problem last week - when mithered by one of the kids and left lights on.

It was dark and couldn't see anything in this back street I'd parked in - I just put my +ive lead on these two nuts[2 and 3] and had to use the engine block to get a good earth - started first time once I'd got it all connected correctly.

Thanks Sean, that clarifies it for me. It is nuts 2 and 3, I didn’t get a light the first time I tried because I was using a bad earth.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom