Dead instrument cluster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jotter22

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
Some help needed please,

Last night i went out to start the car (2004 clk320 cabriolet) all seemed fine unlocked on the fob started the car no drama auto lights on with start up went to open gates on the drive came back to find instrument panel dead no rev counter no dash lights at all and head lights seem to be on regardless of switch position? radio seems to work fine any ideas at all would be a great help thank's guys. :(

Tony.

I know you have a merc but a few years ago with a company Vectra I had the same thing blank dash no indicators,I took it to the vauxhall stealers they took it into their workshop was told it would need a new dash but they could effect a temporary repair,40 mins later car returned everything working,later met a experienced Vauxhall technician he said forget the dash they sometimes do that, all the garage did was do a reset,by removing the leads of the battery for 20 mins,this might help you but run it past some guys on here before you try it as I have very little knowledge of Mercedes.

I know you have a merc but a few years ago with a company Vectra I had the same thing blank dash no indicators,I took it to the vauxhall stealers they took it into their workshop was told it would need a new dash but they could effect a temporary repair,40 mins later car returned everything working,later met a experienced Vauxhall technician he said forget the dash they sometimes do that, all the garage did was do a reset,by removing the leads of the battery for 20 mins,this might help you but run it past some guys on here before you try it as I have very little knowledge of Mercedes.

Thank's guys i think i will wait for Terry and ollie to have some input and get someone to list the reset routine...thank's again just hope its not a new dash!:doh:

Tony.

1st thing to do would be to disconnect the battery for a while then reconnect it.
Do this from the negative terminal.
You'll have to lock to lock the steering to get rid of the ESP light. Then reset the windows
After this its just checking 12v and can voltage at the cluster
Try the battery first

Just to add the headlamps will stay on constant when the cluster goes down

Bit of an update...Went out this morning to follow Terry's guidelines and the car is back to normal with everything working as it should:dk:
Now does this mean it was just one of those mechanical/electrical gremlins or am i sitting on a time-bomb!

Tony.

same problem but on e320 w211

This has happened to my beloved car:wallbash: I will sleep well now knowing that I have managed to search and find a thread that seems to have an answer:thumb: . I shall have to find out what advice terry gave you , or have I missed something. Goodnight merc men. Eugekav.

Last edited:
Due to the wonders and magic of computers and associated "electrickery" the most common starting point for solving quirky problems is a simple turn it off and back on again. It works on lots of things including aircraft and Stephen Hawking.

what to do cluster failure

Its all about confidence :dk: and getting the right info so things don't get worse .So with good information confidence can build . Like my replies and my typing by taking things slow and steady things don't get overlooked so the post previous .What about the lock to lock and the doors and lets not forget the little battery does that need to be connected or not to re boot the cluster. I am panicking quietly because when this happened I saw pounds evaporating. I slept that nite like ****e thinking that I would be scratching round breaker yards. Thanks for taking the time to read this . Good Luck Eugekav.:thumb:.

Wayne Gates post.

Thanks for the post about the lights I am so impressed with this feature. At first I was not sure if it was part of the problem. I am still not sure of the information about the CAN and things to check. As the saying goes" its all a learning curve " :wallbash: :crazy::D.

Help to disable esp

Hi, W G posted earlier in this thread and the info about reseting windows and holding the window up for five seconds and down for five seconds and repeating for all four makes sense to set the length of travel of the window. The bit that I can not understand is turning steering lock to lock to disengage the esp .Do I do this with engine running then switch off and remove main battery earth strap for twenty minutes. I am going to try to post some photos :eek: this afternoon. I have done this before but so long ago , trial and error and a bit of muddling through will turn a technophobe into an expert :rock: Many thanks to all for providing this resource :D Good Luck Eugekav.

The bit that I can not understand is turning steering lock to lock to disengage the esp .Do I do this with engine running then switch off and remove main battery earth strap for twenty minutes. I am going to try to post some photos :eek: this afternoon.

No need for any of that. Just go for a short drive and the ESP light will go out.

If you don't want to drive, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock about 3 times. Battery earth strap disconnection not necessary either.

instrument cluster down.

Hi ,Thanks for your interest the reason I want to disengage esp is to remove main battery strap safely for twenty mins .This hopefully will reset the instrument cluster:thumb: and I will be able to carry on driving not sure if driving is ok seen a few different opinions in different threads so erring on the side of caution. If you have time read post No.#5 and No.#6 from WAYNE GATES in this thread .

Wayne Gates

1st thing to do would be to disconnect the battery for a while then reconnect it.
Do this from the negative terminal.
You'll have to lock to lock the steering to get rid of the ESP light. Then reset the windows
After this its just checking 12v and can voltage at the cluster
Try the battery first

Here we go looks like I've found the force. Quoting references a doddle when you know how :cool: Good Luck Eugekav.

^ OK just read Post #5&6 again.
You don't need to disengage ESP before disconnecting the battery. It will do it anyway, hence the reset.
Just take off the (-)negative lead and put to one side, then disconnect the (+) positive.
Leave for 20 mins then reconnect (+)positive first and (-) negative last, reset windows and esp. Hope this works to fix your cluster problem

Thanks AMGeed.

I am just going to try to take and post some photo now and thanks for the advise as I said I am going slowly and building confidence in computer skills and sorting out motor touch wood .Eugekav

I had the same thing on my '54 E55k. Dash was dead, though in the dark you could see the speedo dial was glowing very faintly grey/blue. I forgot to move the steering wheel down beforehand to get clearance to remove the cluster, so had to reconnect the battery, and when I did so - Bingo! Everything back to normal. That was about 2000 miles ago, and it hasn't happened again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom