Dead SLK in Holland..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
So, we've been on a bit of a mini-tour of Europe these past few days and yesterday we were in the Netherlands, s'Hertogenbosch for fans of specifics. Having been to the Noord-Brabant museum to see some Van Goghs at SWMBO's insistence (don't bother; they're rubbish), we set off heading for our planned nightly stop in Den Haag.

We drive through town, hit the A2 northbound and I accelerate to a gentle 65 mph ish, as we're in no hurry and just having filled up at €1.67 a litre I'm minded not to burn off the fuel too quickly.

As we settle in for the drive suddenly "ESP inoperative" comes up on the dash. Sh!t thinks I, that doesn't sound good. About 5 seconds later the engine light comes on. Double sh!t. While I'm considering my next move, a couple of seconds later the engine cuts out completely and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. Houston, we have a problem.

The car continues to roll, and fortunately there's a slip road coming up ahead, so I bang on the indicator and hope for the best. It's a local road and I'm the only car heading for it, but the turn is 180 degrees and it's sharp, as I realise when I arrive at the junction and discover that of course, I've now got no power steering. I haul on the wheel, make it round (discovering in the mean time there's no power assistance on the brakes either, it's like pressing down on a pavement slab) and bring the car to a stop on the side of the slip road about 200m from the T junction at the bottom. Breathe a sigh of relief and put on hazards.

First things first, jump out of car and get warning triangle out of boot and deploy ~100m back so hopefully we don't get shunted from behind. Then get hi-viz jackets out for Mrs Gaz and myself (I did do some preparation before setting off) and stand away from the car while I try to think what to do next. Not a member of the AA/RAC and don't have breakdown cover - why would I, the car's never gone wrong in the 8 years I've owned it?

So I pull out the phone and look to see if there's a Mercedes dealership in town, and as luck would have it, there is - some 4 miles from where I'm currently stranded. I dial them up (thank you, Dutch people, for all speaking wonderful English) and ask if they can send a truck to pick us up. They recommend I call the Mercedes assistance number, which I do, and after confirming a few details about the car, they say they'll get us recovered and will call back to say when the truck will be there.

We hang around for 30 minutes or so, which actually isn't too much of a hardship as it's a beautiful sunny day and we're basically sat in a field full of flowers. Would have been nicer if we'd had a picnic handy, but them's the breaks. Then suddenly a guy in a bright yellow pickup truck with chevrons etc. pulls over and shoves on his roof lights. I go over and ask if he's come to recover us, but no, it turns out he's from the highways agency. He's seen the car and called for a recovery truck to move us to safety, which we won't get charged for, but they'll only move us to the filling station down the road and the proper recovery service can take it from there.

A guy with a flatbed turns up, we stick the car on and I ask how much for him to take us to the Mercedes garage rather than just leaving us down the road. Not far, he says, I'll take you there, no problem. Anyway, while we're in the truck Mercedes recovery ring back and say their truck is on its way. I told them we were sorted and to cancel it. Give the highways agency driver a bung for his trouble, and he goes away a happy camper.

So, we've arrived at the dealer with a non-functioning SLK and they're closing in an hour. I'm sure they had plenty of other things to be doing, but they get a mechanic on it straight away and come back after about 20 minutes with a report that the crank position sensor is FUBARed. This seems plausible, as it happened to my old C43 with similar symptoms, although that did it about a mile from my house, not 400 miles and 3 countries away. Unfortunately, they don't have the part in stock and tomorrow (Thursday) is a bank holiday so they won't be able to fix it until Friday at the earliest.

I agree to the cost of repair so they go off and order the sensor, and then tell me they can offer me a car so we can continue our journey. How much will that be, I ask? Oh, it's free of charge, your car has full MBSH so it's all covered. Now that's what I call service. OK, it's a Smart forfour but it's wheels and it means we haven't wasted 2 days of our holiday. I'll have also spent a fraction less on petrol so I'll offset it against the cost of the repair :)

All in all, I think Mercedes' response and service has been exemplary, and it'll make me think next time I bitch about a service bill. It's been a bit of a bump in the road on this holiday but it could have been so much worse. Just hope the problem really is sorted, will have my fingers crossed all the way back home on Saturday..

Cheers,

Gaz

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse! I do tend to take out temporary breakdown cover for European trips as it doesn't add significantly to the cost of a week or two away (e.g. £6 or £7 a day via the RAC). Hope you get the car back tomorrow :)

Sounds like you had the luck on your side there considering the situation! Glad to hear it's all been sorted and you can still enjoy the holiday!

It'll be nice to get back on the 55 after a smart car!

Glad to see it will get sorted out and thank you for sharing as I was always worrying what if...

Is it just me that thinks it's a bit rash, to say the least, to go off touring around Europe thinking you had no breakdown cover?!

Can't believe you only stumbled across Mobilo by chance too - it's the main reason for sticking with dealer servicing once the car is out of warranty.

Gaz. You got lucky this time. You broke down in a tolerant country where everyone speaks English and are free of 'Attitude', things might not have gone so well in some other European countries I could mention.

Take out breakdown cover next time.

Glad it turned out well for you. Perhaps they could teach MB over here a thing or two on customer service ;)

Well you are a braver man than me,I have never gone abroad without breakdown cover,looks like it worked out well for you.

In 2004 we took the 107 to Italy. Half an hour after entering Germany and just as we pulled up at our first hotel the thing threw one of its rear axle UJ bearings.
Next day was a Sunday but we were advised that a dealership in Friborg about 30miles south would be open. We crawled there only to find a skeleton staff on duty, however, they fixed us up with a hotel and next day first thing had the car on an outside hoist and one of their old-timer engineers looking it over. Yes they could get a new shaft that day if we were willing to pay the taxi fare from Stuttgart :eek: or wait till Tues for a normal delivery. They fixed us up again with another even nicer hotel and phoned tues morning to say the part had arrived and was being fitted. Only one day behind schedule that could have turned really nasty if Mercedes hadn't been so helpful. OK, it costs over €800 but saved our holiday.

Aha tell the silly englisher that his car won't be fixed as tomorrow is holiday here, give him a silly little tin box to crawl around in while we have fun in his car on our day off, after we can smoke some pot and go see some nice ladies.:cool::D

Glad you're sorted:devil::devil:

Well having picked up the car on Friday (not only fixed but cleaned inside and out) we made it back home with no further incident, so good news on that front.

For the people who commented about breakdown cover, I guess it all boils down to how risk averse you are - personally, I'm prepared to self insure to a greater degree than most. I'll cover anything that's legally necessary, and always have medical cover when I travel (repatriation can be very expensive) but that's about it. The last time I did a European tour was in a 17 year old Fiat which no breakdown company would touch with a barge pole, we did 2800 miles in 12 days and the car ran like a swiss watch, because I'd always looked after it. I guess it's true of the SLK too, this time we had a problem but it's not something that could have been anticipated, it could have happened half a mile from home and it's not a service item so :dk:

Anyway, all appears good with the SLK, my wallet is €250 lighter but what the hell, it could have been worse. Safe to say, however, a Forfour is not on my shopping list any time soon..

Cheers,

Gaz

Well I understand people will self insure,but the cost is very small to get breakdown cover ,if you open a Nationwide Flexi account you get free medical insurance free mobile phone cover for the whole family and breakdown cover for £10 a month,those three along are worth more than £120,but if you want to risk it fine,it worked fairly well for you.

Mobilo is good - if the event concerned is covered, basically "technical breakdown" which is exactly what happened to the OP. Outside of that, coverage starts to get very iffy on older cars.

I use my car for long work trips and don't rely on Mobilo even in the UK now, I have AA cover as well.

Why do you have both?

What does AA provide that Mobilio doesn't?

Why do you have both?

What does AA provide that Mobilio doesn't?

I think he means physical issues such as a tyre blowout, accident etc?

Two years ago my little girl dropped my only car key in a swimming pool near Bordeaux. And when the AA fellah came out to look at that he spotted that the crank pulley was throwing a wobbly.

Luckily I had AA cover - but not for full cost of the repair.

I've paid for full cover this year and will be taking two keys. Cue nothing going wrong........

Seriously, though, the AA cover was worth it just for the recovery part which would have cost me loads (the garage was about 40 miles away). Plus they paid for the two long taxis rides too.

I think he means physical issues such as a tyre blowout, accident etc?

It's always been very vague what Mobilo covers once the car is a few years old. At one time there were at least three versions running. I've seen it suggested that a single tyre failure is covered, but not multiple tyres.

Certainly "technical breakdown" is covered by Mobilo, and so is accident recovery (everyone is keen to get their hands on your car after an accident).

The other thing is that Mobilo will take the car to the nearest MB dealer. To that end I also maintain a dealer level cover warranty with WarrantyDirect. However due to the car's age the cover is very limited now so for anything not covered, or, for example, if I was on my way home, I'd rather the car was taken home to the indie I've struck up a relationship with.

For most people, what I do is over the top. But I'm running the car with a company car allowance and most of my work related trips take me a couple of hundred miles away so if something goes wrong I've got a couple of choices to find the least hassle way of getting it sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom