Dead thinkpad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tlzeebub

Car
2003 S320CDi, Ducati916
I've inherited an IBM thinkpad R31 which is completely dead, the plug that goes into it has 16.73 volts feed, but the unit is absolutely dead, does anyone have any ideas as to what can be wrong with it and would it be cost effective to try and repair it anyway? tia Chris

If the charging light doesnt come on and you're sure its getting power, it could be a dead bios battery. Not sure where they are in the thinkpads but they are normally easy to replace.

M/board fried possibly. Can you check inside to see if there's voltage getting to the components? While you're inside see if any of the m/board transistors have expanded outwards - a sure sign that it's overheated.

If the charging light doesnt come on and you're sure its getting power, it could be a dead bios battery. Not sure where they are in the thinkpads but they are normally easy to replace.
The charging light doesn't some on so i'll have a look for the bios battery, thanks very much for your suggestion.

M/board fried possibly. Can you check inside to see if there's voltage getting to the components? While you're inside see if any of the m/board transistors have expanded outwards - a sure sign that it's overheated.

I did try to have a look inside but after undoing every screw i could find i still couldnt get it apart all that happened was the keyboard came off, thanks for your help.

In my past experience all the BIOS battery does is remember your CMOS settings when you power off. If it's dead then the pc should still fire up, it will just be unable to remember any CMOS settings changes you make.

Could be wrong tho'

In my past experience all the BIOS battery does is remember your CMOS settings when you power off. If it's dead then the pc should still fire up, it will just be unable to remember any CMOS settings changes you make.

Could be wrong tho'

That is certainly what I remember too.

Could be wrong tho'

That even makes sense to me, think i'll cancel my search for that battery

Its dead Jim.

There's some various IBM products disassembly instructions here

Thanks for the link unfortunately i cant find the right disassembly instructions for my one, think i might have to get a bit more forcefull with it.

Try reseating the memory modules. Worked for me on my T30 - although that does have a known problem with its memory slots, which probably doesn't apply to the R31.

common problem with laptops is the power socket damaged if it is, that can be fixed with not too much problem

Could be wrong tho'

My alienware wouldn't do a thing when its bios battery died, mind you...that was the least of my problems with that machine

I've actually got it apart now and i've found that where the screen plugs into the board the connector is burnt and crumbled in one of the corners, so i reckon it's going in the bin now.
My mate (LOL) who donated it to me has asked me if i can get his photos off the hard drive for him, I've removed the hard drive can anybody give me some help as to how i connect it to another pc to retrieve the files from it, thanks Chris

Buy a 2.5" usb hdd caddy (about £10), plug in the drive and drag and drop the files.

Buy a 2.5" usb hdd caddy (about £10), plug in the drive and drag and drop the files.

Thanks Sp!ke, went to maplins bought an ide-2.5 lead and got the files off the HDD, job done and laptop in the bin:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom