Dealer advice - holding onto stock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Hi there

Looking for a little dealer insight if anyone is around this morning

A main dealer (non Mercedes) has had a 4 year old £10k car on his forecourt for nearly 6 months now.

He has dropped it to a little under £9k a month ago

At what stage is he likely to give up on this and move it off (auction etc?)

I am thinking about a cheeky offer at £8k which is still above what they would get at auction I forecast – but wanted to try and get as much info behind me if we sit down and talk about the pennies

It is already now £600 below what 2 of the ‘guides’ are suggesting it should be retailed for.

Don’t want to get into a debate about the car but am very interested in business model of a main dealer – and how long people believe or know they can hold onto stock in today’s market.

Any and all replies appreciated

Thanks

Fabes

Not an expert on dealers but I would make the assumption that cash in the bank is earning very little interest, so cash tied up in stock not such a burden if the dealer is solvent.

However they will take a hit on depreciation (could they write that off in their accounst anyway)

Make the cheeky offer - what have you to loose ??

It will probably go to auction very soon where it will fetch around glass's trade price.

If they sell it to you they will want a few hundred more than glass's as they have to provide warranty, prep it etc etc.

Depends on how the stock is funded. We end up with cars that sometimes sit around for longer than they should and we never send them to auction.

Depends on the dealer. I have come across them where the cars just sit for well over a year.

A certain CL500 that is back on AT again is now coming up to sale for 3 years!

Thanks for the replies

Jay's steer is what I was looking for (and with the PM) as elswehere a call has established that 6 months is the decison point wth this main dealers network. This also isn't a mass market car and they may feel the capital is better itied up on one they can churn quicker as they approach half year

Tempted......

But no......

the 5 plus months it has been there hasn't helped the interior

Yes a clean etc would help, but there are a few tears in the leather I didn't remember and a few nicks on the dash etc so I remain "en Merc"

Thanks though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom