dealer broke bleed nipple during service (E63 W212)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When did Mercedes think it was a good idea to make calipers with none replacable bleed niples ? anuone ?

As mentioned previously :

The nipples should have been released 24 months ago when the fluid was replaced within their service schedule , there is no way it would have seized within a two year period. FWIW it sounds like the fluid wasn`t replaced so I would put that across to the dealer and see what they have to say about it.

K

And glow plugs?

What if an MB dealer or indy breaks a glow plug taking it out?

Who pays to remedy that?
They do. They accept the risk as any business does. There is an old mechanic in my area who all of the local trades have been taking their transit vans to for decades for all sorts of work , engine out/brakes, MOT, all sorts. As time has moved on he has not, he has remained old school and now turns down loads of Transit jobs simply because he does not have the skills or technology to service the new stuff. He will retire soon and would rather not take on jobs that he can not do and be sued for any damage/loss of earnings.
If you can not do the job or you know there is a risk of damage/failure you must make the customer aware (preferably in writing txt/email) before you start the job.

When did Mercedes think it was a good idea to make calipers with none replacable bleed niples ? anuone ?
They are replaceable, just MB can’t get it out now it’s snapped off.

I don't understand how a bleed nipple is part of a caliper.
Ahh, but it is part of the caliper when you want to justify charging the customer £673 for a new caliper after you've sheared the bleed nipple off, instead of getting a competent machine shop to remove the remains for substantially less money and supplying a new bleed nipple for a couple of pounds.

Ahh, but it is part of the caliper when you want to justify charging the customer £673 for a new caliper after you've sheared the bleed nipple off, instead of getting a competent machine shop to remove the remains for substantially less money and supplying a new bleed nipple for a couple of pounds.

a $3 easy out would probably do the job.

a $3 easy out would probably do the job.

Yep, usually easy job given that there is already a hole in it!

New nipples cost buttons. I've never broken one myself, but have had to deal with a few. Either sheared or tighted so much, they don't seal anymore.

What happened in the end?????????????????//

The complaint is still with the ombudsman, waiting to hear back from them.

i'll update when I know more

Had a loose one on my E55. Someone heavy handed was on it before and completely stripped the thread. It was a caliper our job but there are bigger nipples available on eBay M12x1.0 vs M10) for literally a fiver. Drill, tap and it’s no different to the original one. Saves getting new calipers when you’re the one to pay for them.

Had a loose one on my E55. Someone heavy handed was on it before and completely stripped the thread. It was a caliper our job but there are bigger nipples available on eBay M12x1.0 vs M10) for literally a fiver. Drill, tap and it’s no different to the original one. Saves getting new calipers when you’re the one to pay for them.

How is that done without damaging the taper seat the nipple has to seal against?

What are you doing for a car in the meantime?

At a push, to keep a car running, the caliper can be bled at the pipe if the caliper is removed and oriented such that the pipe entry is at the highest point. A bodge, but keeps you moving (and stopping).

At a push, to keep a car running, the caliper can be bled at the pipe if the caliper is removed and oriented such that the pipe entry is at the highest point. A bodge, but keeps you moving (and stopping).

In this instance it may be that the nipple has never been out so may not need bleeding anyway.
Pretty sure the OP wont want to be driving around in it like this though.

I still find it astounding the Dealer would not rectify this, I'd be camped in their reception till I got the correct result.

What are you doing for a car in the meantime?

Without a car for now, it is still parked at the dealer as i'm refusing to pick it up until the ombudsman has made a ruling.

In the meantime i'm looking at used Bentleys & Aston Martins to switch to when the car is fixed, done with such poor service.

All this over what should have been a sub £50 job for a local engineering firm :wallbash:

Not directed at you (OP) btw, but the dealership.

How is that done without damaging the taper seat the nipple has to seal against?
Carefully ;)

The bigger diameter bleed nipples that I've seen are shouldered with the regular diameter at the end, so you don't drill down or tap as far as the taper seat.

You could buy an NPT tap and drill set, possibly 1/8th for brake nipples ? shouldn't be hard to find out what size. The trick comes with having the skill to do the job without wrecking the caliper. But it's not that big a deal.

I can't help but thinking (as bad as this is for the OP) we are entering 'mountain out of molehill' territory . :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom