Dealer can't reset service indicator and want £109.80 to investigate...Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have to wonder why MB are still stuck with the maps being stored in the vehicle ?

It is a long time since I moved from the Tom Tom on my Palm Treo , where the maps were on an SD card , to the Tom Tom iPhone app ( back on the 3GS IIRC ) where the maps are not on the device and just accessed over the air , same with Google maps etc , so always up to date .

The other benefit was that I only had to buy the app once , and each time I upgrade my handset , the app goes onto the new one , as well as remaining on the old one ( even when rebuilt for another family member ) hence I now have around half a dozen instances on different devices .

MB bring out new Comand versions with each model range , they could easily move to an off air mapping system . Also with newer cars being ‘connected’ software updates should be user downloadable overnight .
With the original Vodafone 3g KOM Module introduced in 2013, downloading maps data in real-time would have been impossible. I suppose it will work in most places with the newer 4g (or 5g, when/if MB introduce this).

Certainly with my old iPhone 3GS it could take a few moments for maps to load in some places , but I can’t remember ever not being able to get a signal .

More recently, with 4G being the norm , maps have loaded instantly , and I’ve used it all over Scotland without any problems , just a few weeks back it allowed me to locate Fire Stations I hadn’t previously visited in Blairgowrie, Kirkmichael, Glenshee , Braemar , Ballater , Banchory , and a few others . At no time along that route did I lose navigation. I’ve also used it north of Inverness , on Arran and all the way down to Campbeltown without problems .

Didn’t know the ferry would cost most.

A quick question... A diesel in the IOW, do you get any DPF issues?

The ferry costs are a joke were talking somewhere between £45 - £75 each way on a bad day and if your really lucky about £65 day return with vouchers booked well in advance...
DPF was my worry when buying but 5 years in at les than 5k miles per year...so far so good...wanted a petrol but the deal started out as a pcp...then I decided to pay the final value fee...as I could not find anything better...just love the car....just wish I could sort the service reset issue for no cost...

"Sir we have sold you a fine looking car. It is complicated and will break due to our inability to design it correctly. When there is realisation that the car has broken it will be deemed to be your fault and so we will charge you for the repair, although the truth is it isn't actually a repair as when fitted it was never going to work correctly so it didn't break as it was always faulty.
I do hope this doesn't affect your confidence in Mercedes to produce a reliable vehicle."

The world has gone frickin bonkers and in all the prancin' about the eu does why is a customer still expected to pay for the manufacturers f' up?

The ferry costs are a joke were talking somewhere between £45 - £75 each way on a bad day and if your really lucky about £65 day return with vouchers booked well in advance...
DPF was my worry when buying but 5 years in at les than 5k miles per year...so far so good...wanted a petrol but the deal started out as a pcp...then I decided to pay the final value fee...as I could not find anything better...just love the car....just wish I could sort the service reset issue for no cost...
It could be worse, it's even more expensive when booking from a mainland address. Little consolation I know.

Update...Had a response to the email...telephone conversation today...Lots of sympathy....'lets get it booked in and see what we can do for you'....conversation went along the lines of....'yes there is a fault with the software....the car is 5 years old...if you had a rough running engine...and we could fix it with a software update...would you be happy to pay the £109 to fix it'...'er well yes'...they attempted to reset the indicator using the Mercedes...plug in diagnostic....usually its works...they tried several times...then tried the steering wheel buttons method...all to no avail...
They are prepared to update the software...keeping the cost as low as possible...£109 divided into 10 minute sections...aiming to fix it for ½ hours labour...I will get another loan car...as they are going to fit it in and work on it in between other jobs...to keep the cost as low as they can....If the fix does run over the hour then I will only have to pay the £109...
Not really happy but what can I do...they have always been good and did my torn seat and non working exterior door handle lights last year for ¼ of the price...so I've booked it in on July 13th...Fingers crossed...I'll keep this thread updated...wish me luck!

Try doing the reset yourself again. The issue is that it won't let you reset it if its only been a couple of days. Mine wouldn't either. I kept it going for around 20-30 days and reset it myself and no issues.

Another question.

If the car is in the dealership for a ( paid for ) service , and sitting in one of their service bays , plugged into their system , why isn’t the car scanned and any applicable software updates carried out as a matter of course ?

This should be routine , and should not incur additional cost since it can be done while the car is being serviced anyway .

This is exactly what should happen during a service.

During a recent repair at a dealership they did agree to do this for me at zero cost - it was on the proviso that no coding or operator input was required.

So I was able to get the DAB module and TCU updated whilst they had the car for other work.

I liked that they did it with minimum fuss. I did appreciate it and will likely use them again!

Reactions: 219
Sounds familiar, take a look at CalMac fares .

Update...Had a response to the email...telephone conversation today...Lots of sympathy....'lets get it booked in and see what we can do for you'....conversation went along the lines of....'yes there is a fault with the software....the car is 5 years old...if you had a rough running engine...and we could fix it with a software update...would you be happy to pay the £109 to fix it'...'er well yes'...they attempted to reset the indicator using the Mercedes...plug in diagnostic....usually its works...they tried several times...then tried the steering wheel buttons method...all to no avail...
They are prepared to update the software...keeping the cost as low as possible...£109 divided into 10 minute sections...aiming to fix it for ½ hours labour...I will get another loan car...as they are going to fit it in and work on it in between other jobs...to keep the cost as low as they can....If the fix does run over the hour then I will only have to pay the £109...
Not really happy but what can I do...they have always been good and did my torn seat and non working exterior door handle lights last year for ¼ of the price...so I've booked it in on July 13th...Fingers crossed...I'll keep this thread updated...wish me luck!
At least it isn’t a Friday !

Might be swear words:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I couldn’t watch all of that , never heard the term before either .

What I would say is that most of these shopkeepers are far too lenient.

When I ran my hifi shop many years ago I wouldn’t allow that sort of abuse to my staff and simply threw such customers out , telling them they were unwelcome and not to return .

That is the only way to deal with people like that . If they refuse to leave when asked , you can call the police .

I remember a colleague in another shop ; he was a big guy , and once saw him physically throw an undesirable out the door into the street .

I know, bit of a tough watch isn’t it?

Reactions: 219
"Just tried to do the reset myself...ignition on position 1 press phone call button and ok at the same time...ignition on to position 2...scroll down to assist plus...select service reset...confirm by ok...and it says unable to reset."
I had a similar issue with my w211.
I reset it as above (albeit accessing the menus in a different way for the w211) BUT there is one more step: before selecting service reset/ok, I must confirm the oil change which is in other items, iirc, listed as service 13. And voila! Works ok but needs a little patience and trial and error!

This is a common fault on certain c classes and e classes (W205 and W213 )that have there fifth service , it’s a glitch in the powertrain control unit which reqs a software update , there was a service measure for this not long ago

Well Blow me down with a feather...Just had another go at resetting it and it worked...cancelled the dealer visit...just need Brentford to win against Charlton tonight and WBA to not win against Derby Tomorrow...I'll be even happier.

Attachments

• 20200707_145705 (2).jpg
    20200707_145705 (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Well Blow me down with a feather...Just had another go at resetting it and it worked...cancelled the dealer visit...just need Brentford to win against Charlton tonight and WBA to not win against Derby Tomorrow...I'll be even happier.

Sounds like that Percy fella' did well for yer.
He's a useful chap that Mr Verance.

For the life of me I can't understand what an Arab Sheikh was doing as a revolutionary in Cuba though. But even he had to try again.

Sounds like that Percy fella' did well for yer.
He's a useful chap that Mr Verance.

For the life of me I can't understand what an Arab Sheikh was doing as a revolutionary in Cuba though. But even he had to try again.
Please explain.... as I'm not on your wavelength...sorry for being a bit of a thicko

Please explain.... as I'm not on your wavelength...sorry for being a bit of a thicko

Apologies, not many can tune in to my planet.

I was referring to that guy PercyVerance,

and if at first it's not happening you tried again like that Arab Sheikh Gavara, in Cuba, with the violin player Fiddle Castro.

It's cool out, I'm gonna' get my coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom