Dealer charging for diagnosing air con leak?

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by jayboy222, May 14, 2018.

1. jayboy222

jayboy222 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E63
    Hi

Took my car in for a B service at a Mercedes main dealer as I’m on a service plan, and while there they informed that they’d spotted fluid leaking under the vehicle.

They asked me if I was ok with them investigating and I said yes.
    Turns out it was air con leak from the air con condenser. I then gave the ok for them to fix as price was acceptable to me.

When I asked for the grand total they had added on £130 for diagnostics. I do understand why they have to add this on but considering I am letting them fix the issue it seems a bit much? Or am I being unreasonable?
    Thanks.

2. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, A8 4.2 TDI, BMW R100
    Given that they're getting the repair work, not waiving the diagnostics charge seems a bit cheeky.

Offering to investigate without letting you know the incurred costs upfront is plain old taking the piss.

Peter103 and jayboy222 like this.
  3. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    I've always had the diagnostic charge removed if I allow the dealer to do the repair.

Russ

jayboy222 likes this.
  4. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    £130 for diagnosis is extortion, if the leak was very obvious (fluid spotted leaking) ..... look where fluid is leaking from, swap that item out, (there wouldn’t have been pressure in system) vacuum and refill.

What did they charge you for part, fitting and regas?

jayboy222 likes this.
  5. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    As others said, it is not unreasonable to expect that the diagnostic fee is waved if you proceed with the repair. But then again it's not law, the garage could insist on charging separate diagnostic fee AND repair fee (as they have done).

I think your angle here though could be that you were not informed in advance that there would be a cost for the diagnostic fee.

I.e. rather than try and convince them to be nice and waive the diagnostic fee... dispute it on the grounds that it was not declared to you in advance and you therefore did not authorise it and should not be charged for it.

jayboy222 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    jayboy222

jayboy222 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E63
    Thank you all for the very helpful replies. I will certainly challenge and let you know how I get on.
    It’s a shame really as otherwise they’ve been great. Hopefully something that can just be smoothed out.

markjay, zipdip and brucemillar like this.
  7. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ( )
    As frustrating as it may be, if they don't waive/refund tge diagnostic fee, try to look past it, if it's otherwise been great, it would be a shame for that the taint the experience of owning such a fantastic car!

jayboy222 likes this.
  8. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Diagnosing an A/C leak is as simple as plugging in a scanner and reading codes. Leaks are not obvious so they would have had to spend some time looking. If they had to pay their mechanic to do so and it's perfectly appropriate for them to charge for the diagnoses.

The repair might have been the easy part.

Neiltodd likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    jayboy222

jayboy222 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E63
    Good advice Bobby and I agree, though the icing on th cake would be if they waived the fee!!
    When they sent the vids of the health check to me, I bricked it when the tech started talking about the suspension and brakes, but all was good!!

Bobby Dazzler likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    jayboy222

jayboy222 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E63
    Alabbasi - I do see your point but the gas was dyed green previously so shouldn’t have been too hard. As a compromise I’m thinking I’ll suggest we split the diagnostic charge.

11. zipdip

zipdip Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s320
    Well I do not use main dealers but I have never had a indy charge me for putting star on the car to find the problem as I always allowed the work to be done,I have even had one of them lash up a repair of sorts so I could use the car until the parts came in which involved him jacking the car up and crawling underneath and using a once only and all that while he was rammed out with work,and he never charged me for that quick fix.maybe we should start a list of main dealers who are starting this charging for diagnosis.

12. PeteTheOldGit

PeteTheOldGit New Member

Car:
    Merc C200 AMG 2014 W205
    If they had to recharge the system to check for the leak then its more than understandable them charging diagnostic charge , air con gas has shot up from £50 a bottle to over £300 in the last 4 months..

Bobby Dazzler and jayboy222 like this.
  13. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, MK1 Caddy, S500, etc
    I dont think its unfair to charge a diagnostic fee although I agree £130 is very steep, I would hope they will agree to at least halve that. They have still had to take the time to look into the issue in the first place.

Bobby Dazzler and jayboy222 like this.
  14. Denis O

Denis O Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL350 R230
    That's an hours labour at a main stealer and probably the minimum charge.

Best thing is to avoid the main stealer and you won't pay as much.

15. OP
    OP
    jayboy222

jayboy222 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E63
    Ordinarily I'd agree, but the service plan was great value for money.

16. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I think these things all come down to individual cases and people. Some Garages no doubt feel that they are being taken for a ride if? Everybody rocks up wanting a freebie. Some seeing the bigger picture in return business. My own Independent has always been very fare with me in cases like this and we have a good balance going on between us.

In his instance it does seem maybe a bit harsh and worthy of the discussion about return business. I mean what did he diagnose? Sounds like he took look and saw a leak?

jayboy222 likes this.
  17. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    If you factor in this came to light during a B service [ not an inconsiderable sum in itself ] and assuming the repair [ parts and labour ] was not covered by any service plan the revenue to the dealer would be considerable. It would under the circumstances seem churlish for them to also charge for a diagnostic. It might simply be that each job was raised under a different number and that nobody clocked their connection when adding them up. Its certainly worth politely querying the entire diagnostic charge [ not just a 50/50 split] and as Bruce suggests casually dropping into the conversation that depending on their attitude the allocation of your servicing needs in the future may need further consideration.;)

jayboy222 and brucemillar like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    jayboy222

jayboy222 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes E63
    So quick update as promised.

Either I misunderstood service agent or he didn't explain things very well, but the £134 was to diagnose and fix air con leak so didn't have to quibble in the end. They also supplied and fitted the Mercedes Me adaptor for free so overall was impressed and pleased with service. I had visions of the service plan meaning I wouldn't be paying any additional costs, but oh well, c'est la vie.

I can recommend Mercedes Loughton if anyone was considering taking their car there. I will defo take mine there again, but just hope I get something better than an A Class for a loaner next time!

19. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes
    I’ve never been charged for diagnosis when the garage has undertaken the repair in question.