Dealer refusing to update COMAND map.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rataxes

Car
E63s
Bought a two year old E63s last week. Prior to collection I asked the dealer to update the map and software on the car. Predictably they didn't.

The car is in my local dealer (MB of Bolton) tomorrow for a LSD oil change paid for by the dealer I bought the car off. I asked MB Bolton for the map to be updated and they point point blank refused saying they only do that during a service. I pointed out that the car has free map updates for three years and that as a new version is out and it's in for the LSD oil change I'd like the update. Again the answer was no unless I paid!

By the time the next service is due the three year period will have expired.

Apart from being very poor service from MB Bolton are they correct in what they are telling me?

Cheers.

Bought a two year old E63s last week. Prior to collection I asked the dealer to update the map and software on the car. Predictably they didn't.

The car is in my local dealer (MB of Bolton) tomorrow for a LSD oil change paid for by the dealer I bought the car off. I asked MB Bolton for the map to be updated and they point point blank refused saying they only do that during a service. I pointed out that the car has free map updates for three years and that as a new version is out and it's in for the LSD oil change I'd like the update. Again the answer was no unless I paid!

By the time the next service is due the three year period will have expired.

Apart from being very poor service from MB Bolton are they correct in what they are telling me?

Cheers.

As the map updates will occupy a bay for about two hours, they probably want you to book this in separately at a more convenient time. Why dont you call them up (or another dealer) and ask specifically for an appointment for a map update to be performed.

I agree ,poor service indeed as it should have been done as requested prior to picking the car up.

Does your car get an annual service or do the newer cars have condition based servicing as if it is annually then it can be updated at its third service which will need done before its three year warranty expires.

As far as i am aware the update can take a couple of hours and possibly that is why they wont do it when the car is only getting a diff oil change whereas during a service they have the time to do it then.

Kenny

You're not far from the Manchester central dealership, who've been outstanding with me. Their workshop is huge too, many many bays, so try giving them a call.

I wonder if my car maps will be updated during the service and preparation for collection. I asked for it, as next service will be out of 3 year period.

Had mine done by Ascot MB. No quibble, no fuss other than taking much longer than intended as I'd had never been done

Just had mine done last week by MB Whitefield. No problem though it was being serviced at the time and I did give them prior warning. I needed this doing then as it was my last chance due to the car now being 3 years old.

As Alfie states above, it does take some time and ties a bay up for a while, mine was there for nearly 4 hours, but there's no reason why they shouldn't do it if warned in advance. Shame the supplying dealer didn't sort it really.

Your experience with Bolton sounds very similar to mine when I last used them back in 2006. I'll never go back again.

No. They may not like it (for the reasons Alfie has given), but MBUK have been very clear that you are entitled to 3 years of free map upgrades from the date of first registration and that the upgrade is not conditional upon the car being serviced concurrently.

My local dealer, MB Oxford, when my last car was serviced, even went to the extent of advising me to book my car in again just before the 3-year update period expired two months later to have the next release of cartography loaded as it wasn't due to be released for another month.

Personally I'd cancel the booking at Bolton for the LSD oil-change and get it done at another dealer who understands the concept of customer service, and I'd ask them to update the map cartography when you book it in.

@PenelopePitstop: In the last two years I've bought used cars from MB Watford, MB Cheltenham & Gloucester and MB Solihull and in each case I've asked them to update the map cartography as part of the prep, and in each case it's been done without question or hesitation.

Asked MBMK to update mine when it was in having a new windscreen fitted last week. Done without quibble.

New version is out but seems like dealers don't have the disc yet.

4.5 i think.

My maps stopped working and I booked it in to get updated and was done with no problems.

Not sure if it was 2016 V14 though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom