Dealer says B service, car says E service ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogbreath

Car
2005 E55K AMG
Asked dealer about prices when I was in there yesterday, he told me to go on My Service. So my car says E service in 1500 miles but when I put details into my service it says B service which it would do for £762:eek:
So who's correct ?
Lee

So who's correct ?

Both.

The letter used by the car isn't the same as the A and B used to designate minor and major services. It's an indicator of the likely amount of work.

It's a stupid and confusing system and this sort of confusion occurs all the time.

An 'E' reported by the car will nornally be a B service with a whole lot of extras.

Cheers Dryce
Yes that's probably correct, the service cost was £292 but the additional took it up to £762.
Best find a indie around here then....!

E would be an A service, 5th letter... ABABA

My car says B service is next but it's in for an A service tomorrow at MB, it's always one behind

They should replace the A and B service for C and E service. After all A is Cheap while B is Expensive.

E would be an A service, 5th letter... ABABA

With Assyst+ the letter represents the amount of work involved - so E would predict a notional 5 hours or so, F would be 6'ish, D would be 4'ish.

It doesn't have anything to do with the A or B service. The E could be an A with a lot of extra work or a B with a bit less extra work - dependent on service history, age, and mileage.

It's really unfortunate that car makers in general are so opaque about the underlying details of these sorts of things.

I think when seeing a letter further nearer H than A from the car just accept it as an indication of more expense - and if you check the ESS system you'll probably find that the reason is fairly obvious based on scheduled work due at longer intervals (eg. 4 years) or mileage (50 or 60K).

I was told that these service letters were a good idea at the time but didn't quite work; each letter denoting a different service requirement but it confused customers so MB reverted back to A and B with extras according to age and mileage hence my 2012 E class only alternates between A and B with added extras for age/mileage. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom