Dealer service prices and quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony1044

I just thought I'd highlight something.

Our local dealer has closed (Mansfield) and an advert appeared in our local newspaper about Lincoln offering to take on Mansfield customers, with money off vouchers and services from £169.

So I dropped them a mail as (what was mine but is now the the wife's) ours needs a service B.

The mail thread follows verbatim (even down to [lack of] line breaks:

In resonse to my initial query, which included my lack of feedback from the original dealer to send me a stamped service book (I've called three times to the promise of a return call and not had a single one - they're in Harrogate, from memory. I also got nowhere with Mansfield):

Thank you for your interest, you query has been passed onto myself at Lincoln (service manager) to see if I can help.[/font]
Firstly if you let me have you Chassis number of the car, I can look at the national history database and see what I can find. You are more than welcome to any history that is on there. This would be more than adequate to prove history.
Secondly, a service book is just a book with a stamp in it and in real terms means nothing. We can order you a duplicate book for your vehicle, but we are prohibited from filling it in with service done by other dealers. I am sure you agree this is not good practice. What is more important is the VAT receipts which are also a valid confirmation of service.
I hope this clears the matter up and look forward to hearing from you soon.
Kind regards
Steve kirk

To which I replied:

Thank you for such a speedy response.

In terms of going forwards the vehicle came with no vat receipts for service, so the printed history would be more than welcome, thank you.

Could you tell me how much, given your current offer to Mansfield residents, a Service B would be please? If it’s an acceptable price we can go ahead and make arrangements to book it in.

We would require your collection and delivery service and a courtesy car as well please.

Thank you in advance.

Tony.

And received the following:

Price for Basic ‘B’ service would be £299.00 inclusive of parts,labour,oil + vat. No extra charges for environmental disposal, service wash, collection & delivery & loan car.
There may be some extra service items due on the car dependent on age, mileage etc which you will be notified of on arrival of your vehicle.
All oil used is fully synthetic and includes screenwash. Should you wish to go ahead, I will pass these details onto Jo, who co-ordinates all our booking and she will confirm day’s, times etc.
Thanks

Me again:

That is awfully high. I was hoping that you might honour the discount for vehicles over 3 years old.

I think I’ll be taking it to an independent – I have been quoted £189 inclusive for a B Service by the one on Nottingham. I only held off to try and get the service book.

Considering the age of the vehicle though, I’m not prepared to pay that much just for a service.

Thanks anyway.

Now it gets a bit interesting. He may have some valid points, but I thought his tone turned a bit aggressive about it, but that could just be the nature of email:

As long as you are aware that going out of the dealer net-work will not only affect the residual value of the car, your recovery supplied by Mercedes Benz & jeopardize any good-will future payments towards bodywork etc. Many people are not aware that these entitlements are with-drawn and somewhat disappointed when they find this out.
I am aware that price is an issue for many people, and the Fixed price offered is less than our competitors at Inch-cape, JCT & Drayton group.
The company you mention is known to me, and is cheaper, but is cheaper for a reason, you may find out this out when taking you car in. they have no Qualified Mercedes technicians (up-to-date), no ability to read indepth fault codes, no ability to down-load soft-ware upgrades on to your car (free of charge in Mercedes Dealerships) and needless to say what they actually do for the money they charge. On top of this they are not a recognized Mercedes ‘approved’ repairer.
However, we recognize that there is a market for this type of servicing, but have a duty of care to let you know that there is more than just ‘price’ when it comes to a service & value for money is sometimes in the things you don’t see and may take for granted.I wish you well and am always available should you change your mind or have other motoring needs which we can help with.
Many thanks

Trying to stay diplomatic / not misinterpret the tone and not tell them to stick it (and notice at no time did I mention an Indy's name even though there are at least three in Nottingham that I've been made aware of on here):

Thanks for the reply.

The top and bottom of it is that it’s a seven year old car. It’s also a second car and all of the mileage that we do as a family is covered in my “workhorse” which I also use for business.

My wife, on the other hand, covers around 1,500 miles a year and to date you are the third Mercedes dealer who has offered to help with the service history, the other two being the original dealer in Harrogate and the Mansfield dealer. Neither have come through, so it’s very difficult for me to see any added value.

I am very curious though about the numerous postings on the Mercedes owners club forums that I have seen where people claim that Mercedes drop their prices by 1/3 for cars older than three years as an incentive to stop the migration to independents.

Thanks again for the information.

And the final response from Mercedes (beyond their receptionist mailing me to arrange to book it in...)

You are absolutely correct in what you are saying. This year Mercedes Benz UK have required the dealer network to re-align their prices in-line with Market conditions and be open and transparent with a fixed price service. This is because it was made so complicated as each service was different for each model/engine and therefore a different price for a C180 coupe to C180 saloon & again different for an estate.
Before we re-aligned our servicing costs, a normal ‘B’type service would have been £400.00, the price you have is the new ‘Fixed’ price which is ‘Fixed’ for all ages of cars. We now do not differentiate between a car of 1 year, to a car of 10 years old for the fixed price’ service. It is the same price regardless.
We do however, lower our hourly rate for repairs on older cars. Ie 4-7 years & 7-10 years.
Many thanks
Steve kirk

So in other words, there is now no reduction in price for servicing older cars, and sorry MB but I ain't shelling out £300 for a service on a 7 year old runaround.

Contrast that to Ford from whom myself and immediate family have bought over a dozen vehicles in the last 10 years:

Negotiated a good price on an '04 Mondeo.

They have, under the 90 day warranty done the following with NO arguments (some before I bought it, and some after):

Replaced the rear light cluster which was cracked;
Replaced a leaky door seal;
Replaced the solenoid that locks the gearshift in Park;
Changed the bonnet release and front facia;
Replaced the rear brake disks, pads and handbrake cable;
Adjusted the steering wheel because there was a slight scraping noise;
Replaced the Sony in dash 6 CD changer stereo because it stopped recognising discs;
Repaired a tear in the leather in the drivers seat;

All of which makes me happy that I stuck with the same dealer, and will continue to do so.

So far, my dealings with Mercedes dealerships leave a bitter taste. Their idea of customer service seems to be to constantly lie about calling me back, to expect me to pay over the odds for servicing for a 7 year old car and accept it because it's the marque and to get quite aggressive when I say I'll take it to an indy.

And I wish it were just one 'bad egg' but the above covers three main dealers.

Peace

Last edited:
Tony1044 - I might just be reading this differently, but I thought the dealer was pretty straight with you and was just pointing out the pros and cons of staying or not staying in the MB network. Not sure where he was being agressive - I just saw him saying - come to us if you want, don't come if you don't want to. £299 incl of everything didn't seem like the end of the world to me either. Just my 2p's worth.

Try a different dealer - same group or otherwise - and you may well be able to negotiate a better deal. Service quality may vary too.

Find a good Service Advisor, and service quality and cost problems go away.

I have to say that the dealer seemed pretty reasonable, stating you get what you pay for.... I think in any othe rmarket though he wouldn;t have come back to you 2/3 times!

Why not give them a chance?

Tony1044 - I might just be reading this differently, but I thought the dealer was pretty straight with you and was just pointing out the pros and cons of staying or not staying in the MB network. Not sure where he was being agressive - I just saw him saying - come to us if you want, don't come if you don't want to. £299 incl of everything didn't seem like the end of the world to me either. Just my 2p's worth.
I agree with you. And the price for a B service seems very reasonable IMO. Given that basic servicing is a few pence per mile, it always baffles me that so many want to drive the cost down, when our lives depend on good servicing.

A 'B' service on my E55 came to over £800, so that seems cheap.
(I did have bits done though, but think actual service was around £400)

I have to say that the dealer seemed pretty reasonable, stating you get what you pay for....

Apart from the specific comments about the indy which IMO overstep the mark and if I were his manager would be unhappy about on two counts - firstly that they were made and secondly that they were put in an email.

Also Lincoln to Mansfield is a good 45 minute drive over some annoying roads. Pick-up and drop-off worth a fare bit. Still the dealer seemed to miss the point slightly, without the prevous service history I suspect a new service is worth very little in terms of residual value's

I agree too - very proffessionally pitched responses from the dealer

tony1044 -positive and informative post- cheers:)

with regards to fixed price service costs 'including parts'- would the price include supply and fix of glow plugs? or would these be additional items under the B service for say a E300 TD? :confused:

Sounds very reasonable to me as I don't think the Indy will collect and deliver your car and provide a courtesy car for £110 + vat!

Well personally I thought the bits about the indy were unjustified and aggressively toned, but I caveated it by saying I could have misinterpreted the email, however, I've read many a horror story about main dealers.

As for trying to drive costs down - well why not? If you don't ask, you don't get and if you're personally happy to take everything at face value and believe you get good value, then you do.

Personally, I am more inclined to ask nicely and usually with some success, but not always. However once I settle on a price, then even if someone else comes along and says they bettered it, I am still happy because I feel that I paid a fair price and got good value.

I am not some numbskull that misinterprates the difference between good value and cheap, but I will question things like the viability of paying so much for such an old car. It's already lost 2k since August, the wife loves it and won't be getting shut of it any time soon so what value is there in keeping up a dealer service?

When the car becomes, say, 10 years old (and given the low mileage my wife clocks up, that's a realistic figure) who will really give a toss about it having a full dealer history? It'll be a 10 year old bottom of the range car...so it might add another couple of hundred quid on...be generous and say £500...3 x 300 quid services to add 500 quid onto the resale value....let me do some maths here...yep I would be losing 400 quid over the next three years. And that's being generous about the difference it'll make.

And it's not a case of not being able to afford it either - I can. That's why I cook homecooked food for my family from high quality, locally sourced, organic food wherever and whenever possible.

In terms of the roads from my house to Lincoln, they are actually quite good - I know this from personal experience from working there for two years, but granted it's still an 80 mile round trip.

Hawk your comment baffles me - how do you 'depend' on good service? You may trust that you are getting good service, and you may believe that a good job is being done on your car, but read some of the horror stories on here and it's clear to me that some dealers are useless.

What I really wanted to highlight was that service-wise, there is now no difference between a brand new car and a seven year old car and for me, personally, spending £300 on a service on a car that old, that will do next to no mileage just isn't a worthwhile investment.

Add in todays financial climate and I must admit, I'm surprised there is no negotiation - getting a customer through your door the first time is the biggest battle. Keeping them thereafter costs on average 7 - 8 times less. I know this because of all the figures I'm getting rammed down my throat at work to ensure my own team keep existing customers happy.

Also agree with above.

Ask them how much the service will be with you supplying the oil.

Tony,

From my point of view it would cost me £5 (petrol) in each car to take it to my nearest independant. It would cost me £5 to return to work dropping the wife off, it would then cost me £5 to pick her up to collect the car. Then another £5 per car to return home.

Thats £30 of petrol.

How much value do you put on the time it would take to drop off and collect the car? For me it would be at least an hour and a half, almost 2 hours out of my day. Being self employed that would mean me losing some income. And then she's stuck at home without a car so that's a little bit of a headache for me.

I don't think the £110 difference is all that bad when you consider the other factors involved.

Saying all that i'd not trust my cars to a main dealer anyway!

I absolutely agree with you Tony1044

When I fell out with BMW on my then 5 year old 520i, I serviced it myself for the next 5 years - which basically involved oil and filter once a year, spark plugs and air filters every other year.
One year I went mad and left it into an Indy with specific instructions for all fluids and v-belts to be changed. Cost me £230.
Only the steering lock broke - and £70 paid for that.
I saved a fortune.

And I never scratched the paintwork and denied it or broke the door lock and tried to charge extra to fix it.

Basically if you are keeping the car until it is worth less than £1000 then the next buyer will be pleased if it even has a manual.

If your tyres and brakes are Ok and it passes the MOT every year then what more can you want.
Save your money for people that want to earn it.

What I really wanted to highlight was that service-wise, there is now no difference between a brand new car and a seven year old car and for me, personally, spending £300 on a service on a car that old, that will do next to no mileage just isn't a worthwhile investment.

I wanted to pick up on that point, because, of course, there's another way of looking at it, and that is the blackmail that used to go on if you had a 0-3 year old car still in warranty. You had to pay the full service B price which was typically £450.

What MB have done now has done a significant "favour" to buyers of new MB's by reducing their servicing costs when before they had no real choice but to pay up. Of course this now takes away the scope to discount servicing on older cars because the standard price is now at the discounted level.

All dealer servicing is poor value - I just booked my daughter's Mitsubishi Colt in for it's 2 yr service at a dealer who advertises full services for £99. Their quote was £287 (eventually settled on £220, + £10 for courtesy car, if needed). When I queried this they said they could do the £99 service but they couldn't stamp the service book. I had exactly the same conversation with our local Honda dealer for wife's Jazz.

To be honest, with a 7 year old car, I don't know why you're even calling the dealer - what the point? They're never going to be cheaper than an indie (otherwise the indie's would go out of business) and the indie will probably do a better job. The other problem you'll have with a dealer is that they will "find" more work that needs doing so the actual bill could end up significantly higher.

Like others, I'm astonished that the dealer will both collect and deliver and leave a courtesy car over such a distance. But who do you think is paying for that? No way an indie has the cost structure to do such a thing.

Last edited:
If you are only doing such a low mileage then buy an oil filter from MB, keep the receipt, change the filter and oil yourself and make a note in the service book. Thats about it - the rest wont need looking at until about 3 or 4 years time at the earliest. Then get the other fluids changed at an indi.

Whats that in ENGLISH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom