Dealer shutting due to Covid-19

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stubax

Car
GLC250
Was in Marshall's Bolton today where car was serviced, they are closing shop today due to Covid-19, if parts or service needed could cause problems.

Got a mail from Sytner (my favourite (!) Milton Keynes dealer), saying they're finishing off the last customer cars and then shutting down completely end of business tomorrow. I ssume warranties won't be effected by the lack of "on time" servicing this year..

For members who use MBS in Southampton, Cole announced they have closed as from today due to safety of both staff and customer.

All Arnold Clark branches are closing as of Friday.

New cars - last collection Wednesday

Servicing - to be put through by Friday evening.

Staff are to have the 80% Government grant topped up to their basic by the company.

All Arnold Clark branches are closing as of Friday.

New cars - last collection Wednesday

Servicing - to be put through by Friday evening.

Staff are to have the 80% Government grant topped up to their basic by the company.
Are they still doing services tomorrow after the PMs statement?

Lots (all?) Garages closing now.
What about those with cars needing MOT. Is this requirement to be suspended does anyone know?

John

Lookers are closing their doors too, including service and parts. I note that Mercedes-Benz South West will be closing for in-person sales but service and parts will stay open.

Are they still doing services tomorrow after the PMs statement?
As long as they can be cleared by Friday then I would reckon so.

Phone first

I have about £500 worth of parts from MB Newcastle ebay store ordered but seeing as I’m unlikely to get them fitted in the next few months I’d like to return them for a refund. Usually that would simply be a case of posting these back and waiting for the ebay refund... but is this still possible now? Anyone know is NEwcastle parts dept will stay open - they are Sytner I believe.

I had my 'E' service done on Friday with 250 miles to go on the counter... I thought best to get it in before the lockdown. Now, I'm not so sure that I shouldn't have waited as I'm unlikely to do another 250 miles in the next few weeks/months!

I have my car booked in for service and MoT on Friday at MB Peterborough. I’m guessing that’s not going to happen now. I’ll wait for them to contact me. My RFL is due on 1 April so it’ll be interesting to see if I can renew it without an MoT if it comes to that.

As I understand the rules showrooms must close but the workshop/parts department is allowed to stay open. Many have chosen to close for servicing and repairs but they don't have to.

^ This.

In HMG's guidance published here, whilst Car Showrooms are required to close, “garages” (which I interpret as workshops) are classed as an exception and can remain open.

Reactions: 219
Inchcape Oxford have sent me an SMS saying that "all workshop bookings for the foreseeable future are now suspended". Frankly, I don't blame them for closing even though they're not compelled to.

Spoke to the owner of the local garage in the village this morning and he has devised drop off and pick up protocols.
Daughters MOT (and Service) should be done tomorrow

Will leave car a while, wear gloves (anyway) and perhaps masks.
There is space to avoid us getting within 2m or more anyway AND can do this out back to avoid confined space pollution
I would have thought Cole would adopt similar, sensible procedures down at MBS, but then they do not actually carry out the MOT's, so less of a necessity in reality.

I will drop car off (opposite grocers) to do my shop, walk home as exercise and repeat the day after, - bona fide multi tasking - and will have a legally compliant car as the DVSA are still prevaricating and NOT making a decision on cars. It might be needed to work in a supermarket (now daughter is back from Uni - we got home at 2am from Bath.....)

Had a phone call this morning from PCS. They are also closing. The 124 was booked for a new set of tappets next week. Not going to be using it much anyway so no big deal really.

Well if your taking your car to a garage mind and clear all your disgusting snot rags out of it, mind and disinfect it before you drop it off. Garages should only be open for emergency work for key workers, (service is not an emergency) ie brakes grinding, wheel falling off and things equally as serious!
I work in a garage, we fix all the police and mod land rovers in this area and we have been told by them that we do not have to stay open for their emergency vehicles so we are shutting today, anyone thinking that they are more important than everyone else by still taking their car to a garage should really rethink their strategy as you are the problem! C,mon wise up people, i dont want to get ill from you just as much as you do from me!

Pirelli sent me an SMS today. My booking to switch to summer tyres on Saturday has been postponed. For now I’ll continue to use the winter tyres. It’s warm today too, the irony!

I've parked my car up.
I'm allowed out to exercise and shop.
I walk to the shop, 2 birds 1 stone.
I don't understand why people are using cars at the moment if they are in the lock down scenario.

I live two miles from the supermarket, imo this is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom