Dealer system destroying remapped ECU's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you seem to be in a world you don't understand nor do you seem to understand the consequence of your actions...enjoy your journey into the unknown...and I hope others may still consider helping you..
Eh?? I feel like a naughty school boy now haha!

I've had plenty of vehicles remapped over the years on many cars. My original post was put on here as my ECU is the new breed which I was very difficult to remap due to its latest encryptions. I did plenty of research first to see who could successfully achieve it, without butchering it.

I also posted it on here to help others in case they came across the issue. As long as remap are available folk will have them done, new cars or not.

Every day we wake up we're going into an unknown journey my friend, so a remap isn't that important. It's the sharing of knowledge related to the topic which I was trying to achieve . No animosity here x

Eh?? I feel like a naughty school boy now haha!

I've had plenty of vehicles remapped over the years on many cars. My original post was put on here as my ECU is the new breed which I was very difficult to remap due to its latest encryptions. I did plenty of research first to see who could successfully achieve it, without butchering it.

I also posted it on here to help others in case they came across the issue. As long as remap are available folk will have them done, new cars or not.

Every day we wake up we're going into an unknown journey my friend, so a remap isn't that important. It's the sharing of knowledge related to the topic which I was trying to achieve . No animosity here x

Always good to share knowledge

I wasnt aware that ECUs can be bricked following a remap, although i known the MB Comand system can be inoperative if a fake DVD map install is run.

FINAL OUTCOME
Just picked it up from Dealer. Nothing was said or noted. All updates done successfully.

My courtesy car was a E350d so obviously my 250d will naturally feel more under powered when jumping straight in to it.

My honest thoughts..
The car feels less responsive from what it did. I believe the remap has been wiped. I'm ok with that.

The main question is answered from my original post

The software updates DO NOT destroy the new generation Mercedes ECU's as I was original informed by a local indie.

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge and gave sensible answers relating to the question asked. It's much appreciated. Hope it helps others in the future.
L

Just spoke with the company that remapped it.

They quoted 150 + vat to reinstall it :(

Just spoke with the company that remapped it.

They quoted 150 + vat to reinstall it :(
Ouch!!
I guess that's reflecting the amount of labour in removing the ECU and bench flashing.
Were it a simple OBD port flash ...

Yes labour for bench
OBD not possible..
Computer Says Noooo

Same file as before or I'd have to pay for a new one at 400

Once you by the file it's there for you should you need it again. It's just labour costs re doing it again.

If it was OBD job to quickly put it back on, then I've no doubt it's just a bacon butty treat for lads in workshop ;)

If the new Merc's weren't encrypted, I'd have some form of plug and play box. I've heard some can produce some decent figures. Much more user friendly I guess.

Mercedes may have the right to void your warranty. They do not have the right to steal your property. What you put in your car's memory is yours.

Mercedes may have the right to void your warranty. They do not have the right to steal your property. What you put in your car's memory is yours.
Does it work that way? An analogy might be, one 'buys' a piece of software (one never really buys software, just a license to use it) but then reverse engineers it to change a part of the functionality but still expect the developer (i.e. the MB dealership) to support it?

I don't. I expect them to void the warranty but the silicon is mine and what I choose to store on it is mine as well. I am not using their software and the ecu is not licensed to me. I own it.

I am not using their software
But you are, or were before modifying it. I don't know, just exploring the idea.
You certainly own the hardware (as one would own the PC) but the file used to control the engine etc do you 'own' that? Does changing that file invalidate the car's type approval?

I don't. I expect them to void the warranty but the silicon is mine and what I choose to store on it is mine as well. I am not using their software and the ecu is not licensed to me. I own it.
I would think that you own the hardware but the software is owned by Mercedes who grant you a license to use it for as long as you own the car.

Hardly. It is adaptive and therefore not fixed to a given checksum.

Adaptions are in a separate table to the map, the checksum for the map itself is consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom