Dealers charge for rattles!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kam09

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350cdi coupe sport obs black
I purchased an e350 coupe sport last weekend it's 61 plate and the last owner took out a T1 warranty which literally expired yesterday.. I rang the dealers (Nottingham inchcape) and they are saying they will charge me £114 to have the car for the day to check for rattles which I know is a common problem! They have also said if found within hour cost reduced by half..
Is this fair guys??

Would they charge if you just asked them to check it out at the next service?

lewyboy said:
Would they charge if you just asked them to check it out at the next service?
Next service due December but these rattles are doing my head in so can't wait that long! I've looked online and where the noises are coming from others have stated very similar issues in the past..

That depends as I had my last E63 checked whilst in for a service and they waived the charge.

I purchased an e350 coupe sport last weekend

Did you buy it privately?

Why not just phone up and pay to extend the Tier 1 warranty?

Rory said:
Did you buy it privately?
No bought from independent dealer who have given me 3 months warranty .. So will speak with them also..

SPX said:
Will look in to this but surely it should be covered anyway as we are talking about 1 day being out of t1 ..

SPX said:
How much would it cost for renewal ? 4 year old car..

I purchased an e350 coupe sport last weekend it's 61 plate and the last owner took out a T1 warranty which literally expired yesterday.. I rang the dealers (Nottingham inchcape) and they are saying they will charge me £114 to have the car for the day to check for rattles which I know is a common problem! They have also said if found within hour cost reduced by half..
Is this fair guys??

Why buy it if you know it RATTLES ????

Will look in to this but surely it should be covered anyway as we are talking about 1 day being out of t1 ..

Don't want to sound a doom merchant but why would it be covered after the warranty has expired?

If the dealer has to claim on the warranty then they must seek authorisation from MB warranty. They will look at the date and say sorry, it's not covered, unless they are feeling generous. The dealer could have a look at their own cost/time but it could be something loose which requires no parts so they will not make any money. I agree it is one day out of warranty but these are the reasons why thye may be reluctant to pay. Either take out T1 or see if they will give you some goodwill as it is only a day late. Also check if the fault has previously been fixed under warranty

If the car is out of warranty and they are going to charge you, why not take it to an Indie.
I can highly recommend The MB Center, Little Tennis Street, Colwick, Nottingham 0115 9506050. They charge £55.00 per hour. Speak to Andrew or Phil.
I have no connection with them just a satisfied customer who trust them with his R107 and 129 and soon W113 Pagoda.

Paul

If the car is out of warranty and they are going to charge you, why not take it to an Indie.
I can highly recommend The MB Center, Little Tennis Street, Colwick, Nottingham 0115 9506050. They charge £55.00 per hour. Speak to Andrew or Phil.
I have no connection with them just a satisfied customer who trust them with his R107 and 129 and soon W113 Pagoda.

Paul

So if it takes 3 hours it'll cost more than the main dealer?

I can't see why a dealer who you didn't buy the car from, on a car that's out of warranty, could be expected to investigate and fix rattles under warranty. Who's going to pay them for their time?

In fact, the MB Tier 1 warranty doesn't even cover rattles - unlike the manufacturers 3 year warranty which covers everything, the Tier 1 warranty is an insurance based product administered by Mondial. It covers mechanical/electronic failures and specifically excludes interior trim, bodywork, seals etc (basically, anything that could rattle).

As far as I believe, the only hope of getting rattles fixed for free on a car outside of it's manufacturers warranty is through goodwill, and you're not going to get this from a dealer you didn't buy the car from. The dealer could of course try and get this on your behalf from MB UK so that may be worth a shot.

You don't think that the main dealer will charge for 3hrs if that what it takes. Then you don't know MB Nottingham. I will not let them anyways near my cars.

So how many hours and at what rate per hour will the dealer charge.

I would guess the dealer has stated a charge to look at the problem - but not a fixed charge to fix it?

Rattles are a nightmare for dealers and traders: they take an age to diagnose, owners are rarely happy with the end result, and the only real cost is time (so no margin on parts) which customers don't want to pay for (because time is free, init).

Your best bet is to take it back to the trader you bought it from and ask them to sort it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't terribly helpful. Personally I would start building a relationship with whomever will maintain it, as they may be helpful if you're a good customer.

Good luck with getting it sorted :thumb:

Liquid silver said:
You don't think that the main dealer will charge for 3hrs if that what it takes. Then you don't know MB Nottingham. I will not let them anyways near my cars.
your not wrong there!! They are awful, the only genuinely nice person their is the lady on reception the rest of the staff their are a bunch of tossers! No way are they getting a penny from me..

Palmball said:
I can't see why a dealer who you didn't buy the car from, on a car that's out of warranty, could be expected to investigate and fix rattles under warranty. Who's going to pay them for their time? In fact, the MB Tier 1 warranty doesn't even cover rattles - unlike the manufacturers 3 year warranty which covers everything, the Tier 1 warranty is an insurance based product administered by Mondial. It covers mechanical/electronic failures and specifically excludes interior trim, bodywork, seals etc (basically, anything that could rattle). As far as I believe, the only hope of getting rattles fixed for free on a car outside of it's manufacturers warranty is through goodwill, and you're not going to get this from a dealer you didn't buy the car from. The dealer could of course try and get this on your behalf from MB UK so that may be worth a shot.
Well according to the muppet on the phone at mb Nottingham main dealers he said t1 does cover rattles and that cos I'm a day out still have to pay up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom