Dealers ruined GTechniq Coating!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

npuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
My car was in at the main dealers today. It was only in for a firmware update so I wasnt expecting them to wash it, if they said they were going too I would have told them not too, but when I collected it I was told it had been washed. :mad:

On Saturday gone it had been valeted and the valeter had applied GTechniq on the plastic trim parts, I assume the C4 restorer.

I dont know what they have done or used but the finish on the parts that had C4 applied has now turned patchy and it looks a right mess. :( See attached pictures. I only noticed when I got home.

What shall I use to remove the GTechniq from the trim or can C4 just be reapplied to the trim?

Do you think I could claim the cost to sort it from the dealer? I assume they will just say they didnt know the GTechniq was on there and I didnt tell them not to wash it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 12072011005.jpg
    12072011005.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 12072011006.jpg
    12072011006.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 255
Last time MB washed mine it looked the same, but after a couple of normal washes it was back to looking normal. I put it down to the chemicals they use to pressure wash it, they are soon diluted in a short time.

Russ

Not the same as it is only on one side of the car where the protective coating the GTechniq leaves behind has been removed. Seems they noticed whatever they used was ruining it and didnt use it on the other side.

In that case, I'd ask them nicely if they can help get it restored to the condition it was in before they washed it.

Russ

Nice ?

I'd go back and ask them wtf they have done to your car.

Sorry to hear about the marks left on your car afterbeing washed by a dealer, but it does not say much for GTechinq if their product is so easilly affected.

Nothing to worry about from a personal point but it's a bit like lending your mate a vehicle for the day and then opening the boot when he gets back that had carefully stacked eggs in it before he took it.
Would you bill him for the cleaning?
A bit unfair in the circumstances, no one knew about the gtechnic stuff and what would have happened next time you washed it anyway?

JMO!

I've just this morning dropped my wife's off at the local Chester dealer, it's about half a mile away from us and the car was cleaned by me before I dropped it off.

On collecting it, it's been cleaned??? Could they not see it was mint anyway?

Apparently it's been hoovered also so not all bad :)

So what would have happened if it rained? Personally I'd be having a word in the valeter's shell like for applying snake oil

OK, so many people having a pop at the product but ...

Why is only one side affected ?

I doubt that the other side was just left dirty so the dealer must have changed tack on the washing procedure.

Did they use neat TFR and high pressure initially ?

In any case, the question must be asked ...

GTechniq stuff is top stuff. It wouldnt be affected by regular washing products or a jet wash. It seems they used a strong TFR on it.

It seems they used a strong TFR on it.

My thoughts too.

Beggars belief they would even consider using it on a recently valeted car ...

I was about to get some C4 to restore the windscreen gully on my car. I think I may reconsider!

According to the application blurb, C4 creates a permanent bond with the plastic surface. If it can be so easily affected by what in all likelihood was a quite cursory wash, something is not right. As there are many good reports on this product, I would suspect your valeter didn't prepare the surface correctly?

Either way I don't think you can blame your dealer. I would query this with the valeter.

I'm surprised the C4 has lifted like this, they must have used some real nasty strength stuff in the wash bay - only way is to get the c4 reapplied.

I agree that they washed it, saw they were affecting it and thought...oops

See the crap & chemical strength of products that wash bays use people + the fact it's probably some poor soul on min wage who does not know about real car care ....

I'm surprised the C4 has lifted like this, they must have used some real nasty strength stuff in the wash bay - only way is to get the c4 reapplied.

I agree that they washed it, saw they were affecting it and thought...oops

See the crap & chemical strength of products that wash bays use people + the fact it's probably some poor soul on min wage who does not know about real car care ....

Perhaps English is not his first language and his reading skills may not be up to much. "See Mixing Instructions" may mean diddly squat to him.

I would suspect your valeter didn't prepare the surface correctly?

I saw the surface being prepped and the C4 applied myself as I wanted to see how it works so I wouldnt say it is a surface preparation issue. It was prepped and applied as recommended by GTechnique, the valeter uses their products regularly on customers vehicles so it is not like it is the first time he has used it.

Sorry to hear about the marks left on your car afterbeing washed by a dealer, but it does not say much for GTechinq if their product is so easilly affected.

My thoughts too - a read of GTechniq website and prep instructions says the product should last around 2 years with no special maintenance required.

From the photos it looks like a coloured coating; why have a thin coating applied to plastic which lasts two years? Can it be easily removed?

It seems to me to be a lose lose product. Either it can be easily stripped off in which case you see rapid failure like here, or it starts to slowly fail after a longer period of time in which case you have an awkward mess to deal with.

From the photos it looks like a coloured coating; why have a thin coating applied to plastic which lasts two years? Can it be easily removed?

It seems to me to be a lose lose product. Either it can be easily stripped off in which case you see rapid failure like here, or it starts to slowly fail after a longer period of time in which case you have an awkward mess to deal with.

ah but in both cases it is probably a win win for the manufacturer as you need to apply more product to keep up the appearance.

I specifically tell the stealers not to wah my car...
I have seen one if the valeters going about scrubbing everywhere with the same mitt... and then pressure washing the car to within an inch of it's life :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom