Dealership targets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Hi guys (& gals)
I've been absent for a while, not been tracking the threads as I'm only an Audi owner now!
I'm about to help my (pensioner) father buy a new car. He is in no particular hurry (any time in the next 6 months) to buy a new car. He is considering a Nissan Note, a Renault Modus, a Honda Jazz, or possibly an A-Class.
I am aware that dealers have targets to hit within a sales period, does any-one know what the dates are of these sales periods so that I can help him get the best possible deal.

Ends of quarter are typically good times to bag a bargain, ie end of Mar, Jun, Sep and best of all Dec.

Oh, and remember the new Jazz is out in the Autumn, so make sure you don't end up paying top prices for the current shape.

Honda don't offer much of a discount on the Jazz, so if you have to pay top-whack it may be prudent to do so on the new model.

My parents have a Jazz - bought it last Autumn. They like it so much they're thinking about placing an advance order for the new shape.

Gotta say it is a great car.

My parents have a Jazz - bought it last Autumn. They like it so much they're thinking about placing an advance order for the new shape.

Gotta say it is a great car.

I think Honda are pricey and the cars are overrated.

The Jazz is not a bad car and the CVT auto is very smooth. (Forget the 7 speed flicky paddle simulation waste of time mode). But the internal switches are cheap (the stereo is hideous) and the price can be obscene.

The driving position and pedals in the Jazz can be a bit awkward for some. I find the angle of my ankle is quite uncomortable unless I push the seat back - and I'm not tall.

The visibility out of it can be a bit poor as well depending on your stature.

My choice out of the bunch would be an A if money was no option or try and get a deal on a Note or Modus if price is an issue.

Thanks for your quick replys, people.
I will see my father next saturday, so any input in the mean time would be appreciated.
Looks like we need to polish up his Skoda Fabia ready for a dealership tour towards the end of March.

(the stereo is hideous) and the price can be obscene.
We have a Jazz (53plate) which I think is marvellous but we would have renewed it by now if they hadn't fitted that horrendous stereo a couple of years ago.

I'd like it to be cheaper, but it compares well with Yaris etc. Daughter has a 5dr Mitsubishi Colt which is remarkably similar looking to Jazz but cost £3K less. I think that was very good value, but you can see and feel where they saved the money.

A-Class is often on Drivethedeal at very good prices.

A Classes are difficult (therefore expensive) to work on - it's probably not a good idea to own one without some kind of warranty or ServicePlus coverage.

Last edited:
WE just had a Nissan Note 1.6s automatic as a loan car. -
Basic, and very ugly, but does everything it is meant to do, and was surprisingly nippy !

Father-in-law (70 something) liked it more than his Merc 1998......

If you see my other post "We are now a Mercedes family" you'll see what we've just bought at a considerable saving for a 5 month old A-Class. Otherwise there are currently PCP offers on A150 Classic SE, A170 Elegance, A180CDI Avantgarde which are much better than you can get from the online lease companies.

Honda don't offer much of a discount on the Jazz
True, but like all car makers they "pre-register" sometimes so there are deals to be had. A few years ago I bought a 30 day old "used" Jazz with zero miles on the clock for a lot less than the retail price. Only downside is that you have to take what is available in terms of colour and model (they had what I wanted anyway), and you are shown as being the 2nd owner rather than the 1st.

WE just had a Nissan Note 1.6s automatic as a loan car. -
Basic, and very ugly, but does everything it is meant to do, and was surprisingly nippy !

The 1.6 auto is also quite good on economy too.

I reckon it's way better than a 1.6 auto Fiesta or a 1.4 auto Polo.

True, but like all car makers they "pre-register" sometimes so there are deals to be had. A few years ago I bought a 30 day old "used" Jazz with zero miles on the clock for a lot less than the retail price. Only downside is that you have to take what is available in terms of colour and model (they had what I wanted anyway), and you are shown as being the 2nd owner rather than the 1st.

If the OP is after an auto then the availability of prereg's is few and far between. When Honda ran out the Civic before the new model came in there were a lot of delivery mileage prereg autos available as well as manuals. So this might be the case with the Jazz.

I don't have any problem with being the second owner of a car and it's made no difference when it comes to selling/trading in.

I don't honestly think much of Honda's vaunted quality. They put the cheapest bits of board in the boot and they feel flimsy. I have a particular thing about the tacky feel of their switchgear. They may be statistically reliable but I suspect that part of that reputation is down to a given number of the owners being pretty undemanding.

I really enjoyed our Jazz, had no problems with it at all. The flip-up back seats were excellent, and even driven hard it averaged high 40s mpg. Only downside was that dealer servicing was very expensive.

I don't honestly think much of Honda's vaunted quality. They put the cheapest bits of board in the boot and they feel flimsy. I have a particular thing about the tacky feel of their switchgear.
Obviously you're entitled to your view, but I feel the Jazz is very well put together, almost to the point of being over-engineered. If you want to see cheap and flimsy then look at Colt.

In fact the one thing I don't like about Jazz is the ride, but now we have a Colt too in the family, the difference is apparent - the Colt flexes, where the Jazz is just rock solid. Ours is a fairly early one (53 reg) - I've no doubt that as time has gone on Honda, like any manufacturer, would look to save money. In fact I think most Jazz production is now in China, where ours came from Japan. I have seen comments that the China built cars are just as good as the Japanese ones.

Ours was an 03 reg. Jazz, IIRC some people found the suspension a bit firm and it was revised the following year. I didn't mind it personally.

Ours was an 03 reg. Jazz, IIRC some people found the suspension a bit firm and it was revised the following year. I didn't mind it personally.
They changed it mid 03 - and switched the cassette player for a CD at the same time. The general opinion is that the suspension mods are undetectable.

They changed it mid 03 - and switched the cassette player for a CD at the same time. The general opinion is that the suspension mods are undetectable.

Maybe the suspension is why they had to fit a cassette first time round..

Hi everyone, I thought I'd asked a simple question regarding best time to visit dealerships for discounts.
However, I'm really gratefull for the progression of this thread and the discussion on the merrits (or otherwise) of the cars under consideration.
It's likely that I will be taking Dad shopping in Easter week (end March) and I'm keen to open his eyes to the choices available.
He probably doesn't want another Skoda.
He has awkward access to his garage so a small car is essential.
Parking sensors would be a bonus.
Auto should be considered.
He has a dog (retriever) so hatchback is essential.
Obviously air con, electric windows, remote central locking & other creature comforts are essential also.
I think he will go for a new (or pre-registered) car for security of 3 year warranty.
Anyone like to add other car choices for us to view?

PS: anyone inerested in a W plate 2000 Skoda Fabia 1.4 Comfort approx 33,000 miles, full service history?

Last edited:
B class at the end of the quarter would be my recommendation - should be able to drive a hard bargain on one of those. Not a big seller but seems to tick most of the boxes that you asked for.

Obviously you're entitled to your view, but I feel the Jazz is very well put together, almost to the point of being over-engineered. If you want to see cheap and flimsy then look at Colt.

Granted. Don't get me wrong - I actually quite like the Jazz as a package but I think that Honda are a bit overrated and as a result they charge too much (and get away with it).

It's worth remembering that the Jazz is sold as a cheap car in other markets. (And in a booted saloon form in SE Asia). It's not really the up market mini that Honda make it out to be in the UK market.

As regards build I get to drive various small autos from hire companies. These cars are not treated kindly but are generally young and in good condition. In terms of squeaks and rattles the Jazz is right in the middle of the pack. Nothing special I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom