Dealership tried to screw me.. advice on what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Revvd

Car
C63 Coupe
Bit of a long winded story, so I'll condense it to the key points:

I bought a 2011 BMW M3 a couple of months ago from a main dealer (won't name and shame yet). I decided to get it up on a ramp, mostly out of curiosity as to what it's like underneath. To my horror it was raining oil from both the diff and gearbox, and had clearly been doing so for some time judging by the mess and lack of oil left in the box and diff. Leaving me to question how this even got through their Approved-Used checks unnoticed.

I contacted the dealer who agreed to take the car in and fix these leaks, which somehow took them a week to do, but they did it in the end.

Shortly afterwards the gearbox was throwing up all sorts of serious error codes and fault codes. I sought a bit of advice from some indy garages, who said they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Anyway after trying to contact the dealer (and them avoiding me for a week), I had to take matters further, and so contacted the directors of the group. This soon provoked a response, after threatening legal action to recover my money, and making it all as massively public as possible.

To cut it short, they eventually agreed to take the car back, and refund me the full amount I paid for the car in the first place, in exchange for keeping quiet about the whole thing. Which I have done.

TODAY THOUGH, I notice the car is STILL registered in my name (as confirmed by a call to DVLA this morning) as they have not done the online version of the yellow slip they promised to. On top of this I have lost out on a another month's road tax, but more worryingly, this vehicle is still somewhere in my name, potentially picking up all sorts of tickets and fines.

I've emailed the dealer, and of course had no response. They don't seem to take this seriously.
I am now at a loose end with how to sort this properly. I'm not bothered about preserving the peace any more, I'll absolutely bury them if needed. I just want it sorted and for others not to go through the same thing.

HELP! How far can I take it in order to get the message across?

Thanks

PS: - Since bought the C63 instead which has been a joy to own, and the dealer service was second to none.

I believe that bona -fide dealers don't have to register 2nd hand cars in their name as this would lead to a large increase in registered "owners" . As such the car will still be registered to the last owner till its sold again. Provided you have evidence that ownership/possession reverted back to the dealer at a certain date - the refund and associated paperwork- you should be OK.

From memory, you can just let the DVLA know that the car was sold to a trader, you can do this online and give the dealer's details - end of story. You'll get a letter in the post a couple of weeks later confirming the car is no longer yours. Hopefully you still have the V5C or reference number?

You managed to sort-out the main issue and get your money back, no need to get worked up about this last minor issue....

From memory, you can just let the DVLA know that the car was sold to a trader, you can do this online and give the dealer's details - end of story. You'll get a letter in the post a couple of weeks later confirming the car is no longer yours. Hopefully you still have the V5C or reference number?

You managed to sort-out the main issue and get your money back, no need to get worked up about this last minor issue....
Absolutely right. I PXed a car a couple of weeks ago. We notified the DVLA online while I was at the dealership. I got a notification slip in the post a week later from the DVLA confirming that I was no longer the owner or registered keeper.

It should be taken out of my name and put into a trade name, as per normal, so I get the remaining tax back on it. Like when you used to send off the yellow slip to say it's gone to trader. It can now be done online, but they haven't bothered doing that at all.

The most infuriating bit is they don't return calls, emails or anything, so leaves me worried as to where the car is and what's happening, as my name is attached to it.

Mountain/Molehill

I've condensed the story to the key points. There have been a fair few hours worth of phonecalls, emails and chasing this to get anything done. And has taken so much messing around, just to sort out. And now I see it's not actually sorted yet. The issue is that whoever I try and contact does absolutely nothing about it.

Do I need the V5 reference number to give to DVLA and get my name removed from it, or do they just take my word for it, based on the reg etc?

Revvd said:
It should be taken out of my name and put into a trade name, as per normal, so I get the remaining tax back on it. Like when you used to send off the yellow slip to say it's gone to trader. It can now be done online, but they haven't bothered doing that at all.

You could do it yourself if you have the relevant info required from the v5.

I believe that bona -fide dealers don't have to register 2nd hand cars in their name as this would lead to a large increase in registered "owners" . As such the car will still be registered to the last owner till its sold again. Provided you have evidence that ownership/possession reverted back to the dealer at a certain date - the refund and associated paperwork- you should be OK.

I'm pretty sure this is the case. - Mine came from a dealer, but there's no mention of that anywhere in the registration history.

When I partX'd the other car, they said they send off the yellow portion to tell the DVLA it's now in the motor trade.

Having said that, I had to request the new V5 myself because it never came... so maybe half the dealers don't know what they're doing with a new system?

When I sold my car I filled it in online , end of... got a letter saying I didn't own it any longer. you should then get tax automatically cancelled and refunded.

dealerships will not register the car.

OP - You can SORN a car online at any time , whether or not you sell it to AN OTHER .

You could have come straight home from the dealership and SORN'd the car , and any VED refund would have come back to you .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom