Dealing with conflit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Nipped up to the Petrol Station to put 1/2 a tank in the X5 (£75&!)

As I came out of the shop I noticed a ford Ka behind my car, with in turn a Mondeo attempting to pass the Ka. Unfortunately it was at such an angle that the attempt was doomed, and the nearside of the mondeo struck the Ka.

Queue chaos while the young girl screams Donny style what the f* are you doing. At one stage it appears that Mondeo man is debating a decamp.

My better side kicked in, and I attempt to calm the situation down, reassure the girl (who's in tears - first car, 17 years old etc.) that it's no big deal, these things happen and it can all be repaired.

None of this is helped by the smug driver of the Mondeo, who is not at all apologetically, and is blaming her for cutting him up - despite that he drove into her, and telling her it will only be £10 to fix - more like £100 in my opinion.

I made sure they exchanged details, and gave her my details as a witness...

What amazed me was her attitude at dealing with conflict. Very aggressive, to the stage that it's working against her, while the 50 year old bloke was winding her up further on purpose.

Had a thank-you from the girls friend, not so much from the girl, whom had not liked being told firmly to calm down. Still brightened up an otherwise dull day.

ETA - Where has my 'C' gone?!

Last edited:
Stolen while your attention was diverted with the crash for cash incident ...

Did you actually witness the crash as it occurred, or was your attention diverted to thr Mondeo/Ka only after hearing the bang?

Did you actually witness the crash as it occurred, or was your attention diverted to thr Mondeo/Ka only after hearing the bang?

Nope. Saw collision and was waiting for him to stop, when he did not.

From what I can work out (and what they both said), he had been queuing on the other side of the pump, and decided to reverse back to switch. In the mean time young girl had shot in behind him and got to the pump first.

He'd decided to squeeze through to get behind me without engaging any driving skill. He was blaming the girl for cutting him up, despite that he'd actually driver into her car.

Most filling stations have cameras now. Should be easy for the young (dare I say) lady with the Ka to sort out.

Too much Eastenders, Corry, The Only Way is Essex etc etc = the way I'm going to handle disagreements is to scream at you and go into meltdown

Aggression seems to be a starting point for many people today I'm afraid.

No it's NOT !!

But predictability maybe?

:) :)

Last edited:
Common courtesy......what did it mean again??

I have a 16 year old step daughter. Each day is a series of confrontations similar to that from the 17 year old mentioned in the OP.

All of this exists due to a lack of accountability or consequences.

I'm at a loss of how to deal with it now. If I'd have behaved in the manner she does when I was that age, I'd have got thumped and would very likely not have chanced it again.

I don't like where we are now.

If the bloke's as daft as he seems I would have reacted with anger too. Obviously he was totally oblivious, or uncaring, or both. In the circumstances psychoanalyzing the girl is unjust.

Clearly people's reactions to having their property damaged by a braindead, differ.

I have a 16 year old step daughter. Each day is a series of confrontations similar to that from the 17 year old mentioned in the OP.

Welcome to the world of teenage girls!......if it makes you feel any better you are not alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom