Dealing with speed cameras.. Need a device.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanielMBScott

Car
Mercedes C220 AMG Sport Coupe
Hello,

So on previous cars I did not have sat nav built in so had my trusty tom tom which warned me of speed cameras when I ventured out of the local area.

After just one day of having the merc I got nicked as command does not show cameras!

What's the best device out there? Can i have anything built in? I have a 2014 C class Coupe with Command. Thanks!

A change of driving style.

Ah hahahahahahaha!!! [emoji1303]

I was going to say open your eyes!!!

To answer the OPs question use Waze sat nav it reminds you.

Last edited:
Command will do user downloaded speed cameras on 2014. Search the forum for details.

Hello,

So on previous cars I did not have sat nav built in so had my trusty tom tom which warned me of speed cameras when I ventured out of the local area.

After just one day of having the merc I got nicked as command does not show cameras!

What's the best device out there? Can i have anything built in? I have a 2014 C class Coupe with Command. Thanks!

I find the speedometer works quite well in avoiding speeding fines ..sorry...could not resist.

Police will pick on the easy targets in this country.... I found out unfortunately. Anyway, if you have command try Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras, there are instructions on the site.

Also additionally Target Blu Eye, it will alert to patrol cars, unmarked, camera vans etc when they have the radio on which is generally true. It will also alert to other emergency vehicles.

Police will pick on the easy targets in this country.... I found out unfortunately.
You'd think so, but the Nissan gets surprisingly little attention; despite the whale-tail rear wing and all the bulges in the bonnet.

I was about to get upset about getting pulled-out before the ferry home from the IOM, only to discover they'd put me in with the enthusiasts cars including a Jensen Interceptor.

Hello,

Dan, I use this method for getting speed camara POI's onto my Command system. I get a 'bong' when I am 10 or 15 seconds from a fixed camera. It does not work with mobile camera's, obviously.

Mercedes-Benz POI Loader - Generator for custom COMAND APS POI files

I get my 'google earth' POI's from here...

SCDB.info - The Worldwide Speed Camera Database

With so many 'revenue generating' speed camera's out there, it is nice to have some warning. In addition, it keeps me more alert to my speed and minimises the risk of getting stung by a mobile camera.

I have a 2012 c class coupe but my command does not bong or anything. Is this right

Hi,

Thank you for the recommendation. I have gone ahead and done this, paid the 9 euros and loaded them on. Thanks for the help!

Dan, I use this method for getting speed camara POI's onto my Command system. I get a 'bong' when I am 10 or 15 seconds from a fixed camera. It does not work with mobile camera's, obviously.

Mercedes-Benz POI Loader - Generator for custom COMAND APS POI files

I get my 'google earth' POI's from here...

SCDB.info - The Worldwide Speed Camera Database

With so many 'revenue generating' speed camera's out there, it is nice to have some warning. In addition, it keeps me more alert to my speed and minimises the risk of getting stung by a mobile camera.

I only just got my new ML, and was wondering how I would get on without my Tomtom - this is perfect, thanks

What do you need the first site for? The scdb site says you just copy the files onto an SD card?

I only just got my new ML, and was wondering how I would get on without my Tomtom - this is perfect, thanks

What do you need the first site for? The scdb site says you just copy the files onto an SD card?

The first site is used to convert the file into the correct format for Comand to view/use.

Stages:

1. Download the .kmz file from SCDB
2. Rename it as .zip
3. Unzip it. At this stage, you will get a .kml file rather than a .kmz file.
4. Open up the MB POI loader application.
5. Select the .kml file and set your preferred time period in settings.
6. Hit the 'start converting' button. The app then generates a .gpx file for you.
7. Copy the .gpx file to an SD card but put it in a folder called 'PersonalPOI'.
8. Put it in your Comand SD card slot. On my car, Comand automatically imports the POI's.

Just be mindful that Comand bongs at you when you are within a certain time period (mine is set to 15 seconds) of a POI no matter if it is on your route or not. This can be annoying if you live in an area with lots of these camera POI's. I live near Junction 10 of the M25 so I get lots of this. By the way, you do not have to have an active route in running in navigation, it works all the time.

If you can get the POI's in a custom mercedes .gpx format to begin with, you can, as you say, simply copy the file to the SD card and avoid the above process. Let me/us know if you find a reliable site that provides such please although I am happy to pay 9 euros a year to use the SCDB database.

Further, I have used this process on an E-Class from 2013 model year onwards so no idea if it will will work on earlier model Comand systems although I am aware that the application has been around for much longer. Perhaps check with Mercedes-Benz POI Loader - Contact first.

Hope that helps.

I think it's silly to rely on any device, no matter how accurate, there will always be changes and you may get caught out when the device fails to warn you. Just rely on your instinct and pay more attention to the road would me my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom