Dealing with Tailgators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
So how does every one do it? Driving home today in slow dual carriageway traffic ... a numpty in a van was so far up my backside he may as well have been in the back seat! In that sort of traffic there's no where to go. Gets right on my wick!

Go even slower so there's a few car lengths in front of you or put your windscreen wipers on.
That's what they usually do to me:D:D

Go even slower so there's a few car lengths in front of you or put your windscreen wipers on.

Lol!

Got to try that!!!!!
Today at traffic lady in a Puegeot, checked on parking sensors....they were red!!!!!
Where these people are rushing to?!?!?

I'm an advocate of "the closer you get, the slower I go" too.

Unfortunately they will eventually get so frustrated that they attempt to overtake where it's not safe, and potentially risk your safety in the process.
So if I'm feeling amiable I just wind them up for a little while, then release them when it looks safe for them to make a move.

A couple of months ago driving along the A130 towards Chelmsford two cars went roaring past me doing in excess of 90 mph in front was a VW polo and behind a C4 Citroen right on his boot lid,until the VW used his ultimate weapon he had the rear washer pointing out with some sort of green fluid in the bottle,six times he squirted the C4 which had to seek a layby to clean it off,certainly livened up a dull drive home.

I used to have a renault van. Dropping a couple of cogs and flooring the pedal produced an excellent smoke screen.

These days, I just allow extra space in front of me and wash my windscreen...

2653823235_26f235e12b_z.jpg

I get it, Lew, even if nobody else does...

Keep the windscreen washer on, soaks their screen.

I'm an advocate of "the closer you get, the slower I go" too.

Unfortunately they will eventually get so frustrated that they attempt to overtake where it's not safe, and potentially risk your safety in the process.
So if I'm feeling amiable I just wind them up for a little while, then release them when it looks safe for them to make a move.

This is true,whether they over or undertake.
But is there anything more frustrating than seeing everyone filtering into the space left by the driver infront of you in traffic??:(

Keep the windscreen washer on, soaks their screen.

Good idea that. You could even divert the headlamp wash on a 211 up to a special hidden jet just inside the bonnet vent. That would produce a significant amount of water.

Just a thought :dk:

squirt.jpg

:D:D

This is true,whether they over or undertake.
But is there anything more frustrating than seeing everyone filtering into the space left by the driver infront of you in traffic??:(
Unfortunately using distronic can have this effect too. - Since it leaves a sensible gap between you and the car you're following, other drivers decide to use it... resulting in the dashboard beeping about being too close to the car in front.

I just pray they have good brakes. I know if they don't it will be their fault, but my car would be a write off.

ps I get the alligator picture, even though this looks more like a crocodile to me...

Last edited:
I just pray they have good brakes. I know if they don't it will be their fault, but my car would be a write off.

ps I get the alligator picture, even though this looks more like a crocodile to me...

I just knew that someone would come up with this.

I have no idea of the difference really, I once ate croc/alli in a South African restaurant just so I could ask them to make it snappy and I still have no idea which it was.

Well why not just move out of the tailgator's way?
None of us are policemen to enforce traffic laws, if they are in a rush just let them go when it is safe to do so.

Don't give me the right thing to do stuff.... intimidating an offender and doing things to distract their sight of vision in a high risk environment is a crime too as you are performing the act with malicious intent.

Last edited:
Well why not just move out of the tailgator's way?
None of us are policemen to enforce traffic laws, if they are in a rush just let them go when it is safe to do so.

Don't give me the right thing to do stuff.... intimidating an offender and doing things to distract their sight of vision in a high risk environment is a crime too as you are performing the act with malicious intent.

Actually , some of us on here are .

Actually , some of us on here are .

Doesn't matter... you still cannot do anything but move over or bring them to a controlled stop and prosecute them.

Going slower and pulling stunts like using your windshield wipers is just not professional because it has been done with malicious intent to intimidate individuals.

It will also not hold up well in a court of law unless you have evidence, word of mouth facts from an off duty officer has only limited validity in the eyes of the jury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom