Deals on MacBook Pro/Air

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian_Mac

Evening all

I know it's a bit of a long shot but has anyone seen any good deals on a mid-range MacBook Pro or even the 13" Air lately?

After 6 years of faithful service my current laptop is slowly giving in with the Wifi the latest part to stop working.

If I can find a good deal a Mac could be quite tempting.

Thanks

Do you know anyone who is a student or works in a school/university? Apple educational discounts are quite good...

Check the Refurbished section on the website - there's a reasonable discount for refurbished items and they carry the usual warranty. You can use the discount to upgrade to three-year AppleCare

Nick Froome

the new i phone is being launched tonight

Not sure if it's something to get excited about with an all new i5 or whether it'll just be a 4s for those with shallow pockets.

iPhone 4s it is but the important bit is that iOS5 will be available as a free upgrade to those with iPhone3GS and above.

Hello

I work in education, if you find someone local to you then the discount will be quite good. You also get the 3 year uplifted apple care for free.

A210AMG said:
Hello

I work in education, if you find someone local to you then the discount will be quite good. You also get the 3 year uplifted apple care for free.

Spinal said:
Do you know anyone who is a student or works in a school/university? Apple educational discounts are quite good...

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who works in the education sector. A good friend of mine often works in the States so I'd be tempted to ask him to bring one back but it's sods law he's going to be based in the UK for the next 6 months or so.

bolide said:
Check the Refurbished section on the website - there's a reasonable discount for refurbished items and they carry the usual warranty. You can use the discount to upgrade to three-year AppleCare

Nick Froome

I've checked the refurbished section on PC World/Currys and by my calculations the difference in price between new & refurb seems to be about £150. I guess £150 is better than nothing. PC World are advertising older models with £200 off but they are still then around the same price as the current models.

AFAIK the warranty is country-specific - but check to make sure

It'd be interesting to see how much cheaper they are in the States. If you pay duty & VAT on the way in I would think it'll end up being quite a bit more expensive

Nick Froome

A210AMG said:
^ What model is it you want?

I'm looking at the 13" Air & Pro models. I don't think my budget will run to a 15" Pro and a 11" Air will be too small screen wise.

If I get time I'm hoping to pop into Apple Bristol this afternoon to have a nosey round there.

I'll also ask about the warranty and whether it covers a unit purchased abroad.

Prices on the education site

These are for the standard unit no upgrade but would come with a 3 year warranty. Don't know how they compare to normal apple prices I havn't looked. Prices in vat and delivery

13-inch : 128GB Mac Air

• 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    processor
  • 4GB memory
  • 128GB flash storage1
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • In Stock
  • Free Delivery
  • £945.60
-------------------------------------
13-inch: 2.3 GHz Mac book pro

• 2.3GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i5
  • 4GB 1333MHz
  • 320GB 5400-rpm1
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Built-in battery (7 hours)2
  • In Stock
  • Free Delivery
  • £859.20

It'd be interesting to see how much cheaper they are in the States. If you pay duty & VAT on the way in I would think it'll end up being quite a bit more expensive

All our Macs were bought in the States (half a Nassau usually goes to Miami for weekend shopping :bannana: ). I did asked at Apple store on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach (where I have business and personal accounts), if there will be any restrictions on warranty when I go to live in the UK, was told not for any laptop or iPad, and probably not for iMac. Apple TV however, will have country/region specific warranty, or so I've been told.

Didn't have to pay any VAT, as both MBP17 and MBA11 were bought just over 6 months prior to coming to the UK. There's no tax or duty on computers to bring to the UK. Worked out about 35% cheaper than then UK prices :bannana: Would expect the ratio to be somewhat less now due to exchange rate changes since mid-summer. Also, when comparing prices, remember that in the States they do not include sales tax in the quoted price :wallbash: ... so, for example, in Miami it would be 7% on top of advertised price.

I've purchased from the Apple Refurb store and the Apple Education Store over the years.

The primary 'problem' with buying refurbished (even with AppleCare) is if something goes wrong Apple will attempt to repair the Mac. However, if bought new with AppleCare, and something goes wrong, you will get a new replacement Mac.

Notwithstanding, handsome discounts can be had for anyone that has the good fortune to visit a UK airport during their travels via Home | Dixons Travel

I've purchased from the Apple Refurb store and the Apple Education Store over the years.

The primary 'problem' with buying refurbished (even with AppleCare) is if something goes wrong Apple will attempt to repair the Mac. However, if bought new with AppleCare, and something goes wrong, you will get a new replacement Mac.

Notwithstanding, handsome discounts can be had for anyone that has the good fortune to visit a UK airport during their travels via Home | Dixons Travel

Having bought my fair share of Apple kit (around 2000 laptops, 900 desktops and a handful of servers) over the years I found that their applecare depends on who tries to repair it.

I can't say I remember an instance where apple replaced a unit with a new one as the first try - it would always be a "replace this and see what happens" first.

M.

Nick Froome

I normally buy from here when in California, 8% sales tax on top of these prices:

Fry's Electronics |

I know it's a bit of a long shot but has anyone seen any good deals on a mid-range MacBook Pro or even the 13" Air lately?

As said by another poster - Dixons at the airport do a 'VAT free' price - even if you're travelling domestically. Limited variety/stock so best to phone and organise a few days before travel.

Another alternative is John Lewis - they will normally offer their own 2 year warranty. They also occasionally do deals (small discount and/or accessories thrown in) as models are run out.

Costco sometimes have the odd Mac - but be careful on pricing as they might be older spec.

Personally I feel they're all way too overpriced these days. Actually I'll be blunter. Given the internal hardware spec I think Apple are taking the p$ss big time right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom