Death by dangerous cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unsure why it would not work Bruce?

CCTV is widespread, dashcams are common and many cyclists wear cameras for their own purposes so there is a good chance that evidence could be available let alone witness testimony or am I missing something?

It's a technicality.

A bit like how use of mobile phone became a separate offence. It was always considered illegal, but prior to that offenders were prosecuted under the more-generic Driving without due Care and Attention.

So Death by Dangerous Driving will simplify future prosecutions in cases where people are fatally hit by cyclists. But it's not actually introducing a new concept as such.

It will also allow for longer sentences (up to 14 years, instead of 2 years).

I wonder if you kill a cyclist who is cycling dangerously would this Law also apply..?

There needs to be more rules (or better enforcement) for cyclists ---

There needs to be more rules (or better enforcement) for cyclists ---

In some cases should that not be upon or against cyclists, some of the cyclists I have seen in Bristol and Cambridge appear to think the road belongs to them! :wallbash:

Flack Jacked on and digging Trench as deep as possible:p

There seems to be a glut of kids who ride their bicycles solely on the back wheel down the roads, often either completely oblivious to, (or uncaring) to lines of cars behind them, or the danger they are posing as they weave and wobble about.
They need their bikes impounded until they (a) pass a proficiency course and (b) their parents come to the station for a chat about the danger their offspring pose.

Cycling will always be free-for-all in this country.

No point in wasting time on discussions about the merit of registration plates, permits, mandatory insurance, administration, compulsary helmets, or adhering to the Highway Code.

For one, it's the new green option, with significant parts of london's road space converted to two-way cycling routes. Any attempt to add bureaucracy to cycling will be set-upon as an anti-green measure.

Then there's the practical element of enforcement... or rather the imprartical side of it. Cameras obviously won't help, and if you think London's cops are going to have any luck chasing kids on bikes around council estates.... not likely.

So we are where we are.

Yep, add an electric motor and the world is your oyster. The ultimate TLVF weapon! :):)

The one thing that really annoys me is those idiot cyclists that ride across a Zebra Crossing thinking they have the same right of way as a Pedestrian, of which they are intended for!
Especially the ones that ride along the pavement in reckless abandon then dart across the crossing without even looking!!!

Seen quite a few occurrences of this on videos. Don't they realise that some real damage can be done to modern bumpers! Idiots!

The one thing that really annoys me is those idiot cyclists that ride across a Zebra Crossing thinking they have the same right of way as a Pedestrian, of which they are intended for!
Especially the ones that ride along the pavement in reckless abandon then dart across the crossing without even looking!!!

Seen quite a few occurrences of this on videos. Don't they realise that some real damage can be done to modern bumpers! Idiots!
The issue is that cyclists are much faster than pedestrians, and drivers just can't react and stop fast enough for cyclists, even if they do drive slowly and look out for pedestrians.

The thing that gets me... is those cyclists who wear dark cloths and ride an old bike with no lights at nighttime, jumping red lights.... I see (just) one every other week. Scary.

I am less concerned about the lycra-clad go-pro equipped riders on £1,000 lightweight bikes - they tend to have all the right safety gear. But it is annoying to see (some of) them bang in anger on the roof of a stopped car because they think the driver didn't see them two junctions earlier. And of course they have the protection of their go-pro...

I'm all for appropriate penalties for dangerous activities by road users (including incidentally negligent pedestrians) but I can't help but feel the proposals are a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The only time my car came into actual physical contact with a bike was at a traffic light, when a middle aged lady decided to rest her bike on my front left wing. I got out of the car and pointed to her the (tiny) paint scratch. She gave me the look of 'I can't believe you are fussed about a tiny paint scratch' but then just said 'I didn't touch your car' and cycled off.

If it gets really bad MJ just keep a paint ball gun in your car with your own special colour so you can tag them and report them to the cops.

I am less concerned about the lycra-clad go-pro equipped riders on £1,000 lightweight bikes - they tend to have all the right safety gear. ..
I’m not less concerned about these - I call them HDAU (head down a**e up) cyclists. The latest thing seems to be the forward handlebar extension that they rest their forearms on to make them more streamlined. The fact that they couldn’t get to their brakes in a hurry seems to have escaped them....Fine on the track, but not on the road.

I think .. and I don't care what cyclists think on here. BUT there should be more laws to make cyclists toe the line a bit. Insurance for a start, Similar to the above a friend of mine had her coupe written off all because the cyclist was texting at the time (A witness saw this) hit her in the front wing and bounced over her bonnet.. and not even a sorry, tried to make out that she'd pulled out on him, but again witnesses saw that he was texting.. but nothing could be done as there was no insurance. Hence car written off..
As a Long distance coach driver, they have a law unto themselves and you have to drive at the top of your game - I was held to ransom by two idiots on cycles that decided to use the bus lane and rode two abreast. Following the advice of a MIAM instructor, I gave a sort sharp toot of my horn..instead I got "The Bird" back to me whilst they continued on their way. Again I tooted lightly and they dismounted the bike to have words, no helmets, no hi viz vests etc.. "We have rights, law 67 so go F**k yourself" I pointed out that it was never under dispute, however you are supposed to move over into single file and allow me to pass.. Nope! Not according to them I wasn't.. then of course there was the fact that they were riding in my lane and again met with more abuse..I pointed out that he was on CCTV and can be charged with threatening a bus driver.. and "Bring it on" ..so no, I think there should be more laws to enforce them how to be have, I'm all for it.. its overdue..

Reactions: 219
Kamikaze cyclists don’t really concern me too much, it’s the MAMILS in full Lycra outfits that they wear that offends me more.

If it gets really bad MJ just keep a paint ball gun in your car with your own special colour so you can tag them and report them to the cops.

I have been advocating the use of a Paint Ball Gun for years, you would be issued with it, the Paint Colour would be exclusive to you and if used against another Road User the Police would be allowed to stop them and they could explain when and why they had been "Paint Balled" if all kept to strict rules the bad, inconsiderate an illegal Road Users would soon disappear! :D

I have been advocating the use of a Paint Ball Gun for years, you would be issued with it, the Paint Colour would be exclusive to you and if used against another Road User the Police would be allowed to stop them and they could explain when and why they had been "Paint Balled" if all kept to strict rules the bad, inconsiderate an illegal Road Users would soon disappear! :D

Not as quick as the stupid Cnut who shot me with a paintball gun.:wallbash:
WTF are you thinking?

Everyone just needs to be more respectful generally.
I’m guessing this has all been as a result of one stupid person walking out in front of a cyclist whilst on her mobile phone.
I just watched the news where they were covering this topic and it was generally pedestrians obliviously walking out in front of cyclists which is something I see every single day in London. Last week I was called the stupidest person on the planet for not giving way to someone who wasn’t looking and wanted to cross the cycle lane by Waterloo station.
I have also had confrontations cycling over the crossing by Waterloo despite pointing out it is a Toucan (I didn’t know what it was called either) including to a police officer :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom