Death by dangerous cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I worry about timid car drivers,who following the recent guidance won't attempt to overtake a cyclist without using a gap the width of a whole lane which often means a long wait if it's the one on the wrong side of the road. We've all seen it; car following a cyclist uphill at 5 mph The cyclist is probably thinking just get past before I have a heart attack :eek:

The idea that cycling is green on congested roads is nonsense if they are holding up all the other traffic.

I worry about timid car drivers,who following the recent guidance won't attempt to overtake a cyclist without using a gap the width of a whole lane which often means a long wait if it's the one on the wrong side of the road. We've all seen it; car following a cyclist uphill at 5 mph The cyclist is probably thinking just get past before I have a heart attack :eek:

The idea that cycling is green on congested roads is nonsense if they are holding up all the other traffic.

I worry about drivers who don't know the highway code ;)
That is not recent guidance. Are you sure you've passed your driving test?
Please see rule 163

Rule 163:
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
  • not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
  • give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)
At 5mph it is permissible to cross a solid white line if safe to do so.

Rule 129
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Last edited:
Will probably cop some flack here but as someone who never let there kids have a bike because I believe it to be too dangerous for adults let alone kids, maybe the time will come when bikes will be separated from other vehicles by law. Not advocating this just putting it out there.

The self-centred person in me... says that cyclists in congested city centres is a good thing.

One more person who leaves his or her car at home, and risks getting knocked-off by a van..... while I enjoy the safety and comfort of my car.

So less cars on the road means more room for me, while some other poor soul takes all the risk. All the better for me.

Not very charitable, I know.... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom