Death of a Vito

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

supersim65

Car
2004 SLK200, 2011 C180 Sport
I have a W638 Vito, originally a van, since converted to a camper. It's been a pretty awful vehicle to be honest, having owned a few non-MB things in the past. But I've learnt lessons about buying off eBay and worked hard to re-attach all the parts that have fallen off, plus added a few nice extras like heated/cooled leather seats, a nice enough stereo, new cab floor, insulation throughout. It was all coming together. Sadly, my personal financial situation means I was looking to sell it later this year and get most of what I've spent back though.

MOT day was last Friday, and it failed because the rust underneath near the front wheel has started, and got so bad in one year that the jacking point has started to fall apart. It's still at the garage waiting for a thorough inspection and quote now, but I'm anticipating a potential bill more than the worth of the van. New floor section, new sill, new jacking point. I can't realistically see myself being able to afford it.

Anyway this thread is part venting, but also part asking. Has anyone got any ideas for getting back any of the value I'm about to lose? It needs new discs on the front, and some new tires. The rest of the van (rust on the passenger side notwithstanding) is a good looking camper with nice appointments. I can rip out a few parts here and there and stick them on eBay. But I haven't got the space to completely dismantle it and sell for parts. I just don't want to give it to a scrap yard for nothing at the end of it all.

As a 638 rust was likely to be the terminal disease.
Even as a 639 it would ideally be post facelift, so mid 2006. And even then no guarantee.

The engine should be of interest to someone, I'm assuming it to be a OM611 and used in many MB's.
The gearbox might be of interest but anyone taking a 2nd hand one from an older Vito may view it to be risky.

Imo you are better to eBay it with an honest description and save yourself a lot of time and effort, for what isn't likely to be a significant return.

First off it might be worth sticking it on eBay “as is” and seeing what you get because if you strip what you can (seats/beds etc) and then try and flog it you might be looking at scrap value.

Mercedes or not, the 638 Vito is up there as one of the worst vans ever made - Black Death and rust in places you wouldn’t think possible are two of it’s most infamous faults - in fact, I’m amazed there are any still on the road so in one sense you’ve got a rare beast!

How deep financially are you into it if you’re don’t mind me asking?

Imo you are better to eBay it with an honest description and save yourself a lot of time and effort, for what isn't likely to be a significant return.
Yeah I guess it's a good call. I'll probably pop my stereo out and maybe the leisure battery I installed. But I guess while it runs and drives (albeit without an MOT) it's worth selling as one job lot.

How deep financially are you into it if you’re don’t mind me asking?
I try not to think about it. I guess I got ripped off for about £3k when I bought it. The seller hid a LOT of faults and implied the quality of the work done to convert it to a camper was much more significant than it was. Then the high pressure pump went, taking anything made of rubber out with it because of the diesel spraying all over the engine bay. Which was probably another £1k. Then another £1k in the usual wear and tear (brakes/exhaust/CV joints/interior parts that have broken or were missing) and upgrades (seats, leisure battery, stereo, insulation, interior lighting) over the last two years.

one of the worst vans ever made
You know I have been buying second hand vehicles of many kinds, for many years, and this is the first time I CLEARLY did not do my research properly. Although to be fair the seller did do a great job of hiding a lot of issues, rust for example. Next time I buy anything I must remember to Google 'Is xxxx the worst van ever made?'.

You're now once bitten and wiser to what goes wrong with these .

Is it worth losing for another basic van in roadworthy condition , then swapping over all your camper van bits to make another camper ?

Then you could flog/scrap the rotten one ?

Is it worth losing for another basic van in roadworthy condition

If it's another 638 I would question how long it would be good for, is the work ott for the extra time the kit can be used?
Interesting is how swappable the kit would be to a 639?

If it's another 638 I would question how long it would be good for
Agreed. It might be OK if I had a ton of time and a workshop in my life. But there's also a growing part of me that, despite the financial despair, feels a little calmer knowing nothing is about to inexplicably fall off my van anymore.

Maybe I can convince someone else swapping the interior is a good idea, and they can buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom