Death of my 300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
I was rudely awakened this morning by the sound of a car crashing outside my house . When I leapt out of bed and looked out the window I was met by the sight of a Toyota Corolla protruding through my garden wall and embedded into the side of my 300TE-24 :mad: Worse still , my car had been pushed across the drive and was sandwiched against the wall of my house .

My car looks certain to be a write off - such a pity that it survived a colossal mileage on the road only to be written off in the sanctuary of its driveway :(

To make matters worse , it seems that the Toyota driver was uninsured ; my neighbour overheard her admit this to one police officer while I was speaking to the other one - I confirmed this when reporting the matter to my insurer and the operator checked the database . Thankfully I am fully comp. When the woman's husband came to pick her up he seemed extremely 'shifty' and tried to persuade me to accept a cash settlement and not report the matter to my insurance .

Thankfully , out of every cloud ..... One of my friends has a nice Fintail 220S for sale , and that M104 will transplant nicely into it , watch this space .

21Aug-1.jpg

21Aug-2.jpg

21Aug-3.jpg

_IGP9288.jpg

_IGP9289.jpg

_IGP9291.jpg

_IGP9301.jpg

Jeepers, I think you are right in your guess that it's a write off. What a sad way to go.:(

:eek: Ouch that must have hurt, what a sad way to see the car go :(

Hope everything gets sorted out quickly, lucky the other driver didn't do a runner. BT, iIs the house okay?

Oh no! That's a real pi$$er!

I just goes to show, that no matter how much you look after something, there's always somebody around to f**k it up for you :(

PJ

Gutted for you. You almost hit the half millon also..... best of luck with the replacement.

Thanks for asking , yes the house looks OK ; it's a 150 year old cottage with 3 ft thick stone walls , not a mark as far as I can see .

it will buff out. bit of turtles wax and nobody will know.:D

now the real question is. how on earth did that car end up parked in yours?

accidents are not to seek, but it doesnt make it any the less a nuisance and an annoyance when it happens.

scumbag said:
it will buff out. bit of turtles wax and nobody will know.:D

Yep - I'll just need to get one of those super-polymer thingys to hold it together :D

Pond life !!!

I hate uninsured drivers ....... if cought on a random stop they should be shot at the side of the road ....

Totally gutted mate. I hate to see any Merc with damage due to accidents, more so with a W124 such as yours. The transplant will be interesting though.

A nasty start to the week....

Pontoneer said:
To make matters worse , it seems that the Toyota driver was uninsured ; my neighbour overheard her admit this to one police officer while I was speaking to the other one - I confirmed this when reporting the matter to my insurer and the operator checked the database . Thankfully I am fully comp. When the woman's husband came to pick her up he seemed extremely 'shifty' and tried to persuade me to accept a cash settlement and not report the matter to my insurance .
Did the husband think the police would ignore the fact that the driver was uninsured?

That is really really bad luck. How did that happen? Can't see how the road goes outside your house - I suppose it must bend somehow for this to happen. There is really nothing I can say that might reduce your absolute disappointment at this turn of events - I know it hurts - badly. Don't forget to take your nice badges off the front.
Les

Sh*t man, that's a real 'Bummer'. You must be really pi**ed, I'm sorry. :(

I would agree with you about the 'write-off', which is a shame. I noticed above all else that the roof-line is kinked, which is a major I think. Lucky you weren't working on it at the time, like jacked-up & underneath.

Good luck with the 220s. Sorry man.....
:(

Pontoneer said:
I was rudely awakened this morning by the sound of a car crashing outside my house . When I leapt out of bed and looked out the window I was met by the sight of a Toyota Corolla protruding through my garden wall and embedded into the side of my 300TE-24 :mad: Worse still , my car had been pushed across the drive and was sandwiched against the wall of my house .

My car looks certain to be a write off - such a pity that it survived a colossal mileage on the road only to be written off in the sanctuary of its driveway :(

Thankfully , out of every cloud ..... One of my friends has a nice Fintail 220S for sale , and that M104 will transplant nicely into it , watch this space .

:eek: Woah.................that's really unlucky. My sympathies - it's insured of course, but I should imagine you were quite attached to it. What a shame :(

On a lighter note, I wondered if there were any additional photographic perspectives of the damage you hadn't yet considered..? Can we get any of the roof, for example?

Sorry......;)

PJH said:
A nasty start to the week....

Did the husband think the police would ignore the fact that the driver was uninsured?

I did think it quite funny when he tried to fob them off with the insurance for the scruffy mark 1 Passat he turned up in saying " I can show you the insurance for that if you need to see a certificate "

Needless to say , the officer declined .

I was surprised they did not arrest her after she apparently admitted having no insurance - maybe Plodd can advise what is the normal proceedure in a case like this ?

BearFace said:
:eek: Woah.................that's really unlucky. My sympathies - it's insured of course, but I should imagine you were quite attached to it. What a shame :(

On a lighter note, I wondered if there were any additional photographic perspectives of the damage you hadn't yet considered..? Can we get any of the roof, for example?

Sorry......;)

Thankfully , since I only bought it in February , I wasn't all that attatched to it . A bit disappointed having put a fair bit of work into it but that's as far as it goes , and to tell the truth I was getting a hankering anyway to get something a bit older and more interesting .

Yes , the back end is distorted into a sort of parrallelogram so that the tailgate no longer fits the aperture , sits over to the drivers side now , so the whole roofline has shifted right at the back end . Maybe I'll take some more pics tomorrow .

As for the road , yes there's a bend about 100yds away , she lost it there , hit the neighbour's fence then came over for an unwelcome visit .

Another car crashed there 3 days ago , about a dozen in the last 3 months , lost count over the 5 or 6 years we've been here - but this is the first one to come in our garden . Have written to MP's , MSP's , councillors , highways agency , Amey ... all to no avail . My pics will be in the local rag (again) this Wednesday .

We've had 3 cars in our sceptic tank in the last year , too :devil:

Terrible end to such a great car matey, but then I am biased, !:(

I hope your premium doesnt go up because someone could'nt be bothered to insure themselves.

All the best

I think you should lay a memorial plaque for the car and grant it official Family Car 'Hero' status. Think what might have happened had it not caught the full force of that runaway vehicle.

Not only did it serve as your faithfull transport, keeping you, your friends and family safe and comfortable on these crowded roads, but it also willingly laid down it's life to protect you al from an unguided road-missile heading straight for your hearth and home.

It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Sorry to see your (or indeed any) car in such a poor state :(
Pontoneer said:
maybe Plodd can advise what is the normal proceedure in a case like this ?
you might have read my earlier comments on another thread, it's a £150 fine on average, and it can take a year to go to court. That's it! :(

Pontoneer said:
I was surprised they did not arrest her after she apparently admitted having no insurance - maybe Plodd can advise what is the normal proceedure in a case like this ?

As long as she could verify where she lived and who she was, then it is not lawful or necessary to arrest her.

She will have been reported for summons and will be getting her court date in the post within 6 months.

Uninsured drivers are the scourge of the roads, but the systems currently being put in place between police and insurance companies is making it much easier to hammer these people.

At least no one was hurt, other than your poor 124.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom