Death of our main laptop!!

Discussion in 'PC and I.T support/Advice posts' started by merc180k, Jun 13, 2010.

1. merc180k

merc180k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
    Folks,

Having resolved the slow responses on the notebook we have, I have now been hit with the main laptop seemingly dying on me!

The hard drive is fine (having tested on another machine) but when you turn on the laptop, the fan gives the initial burst, the hard drive whirs,.... but that's it!! The screen stays black, the fan then stops, the hard drive does no more, and nothing else happens.

Any ideas what could have happened to the laptop? It doesn't even boot to bios. Was working fine yesterday and seems to have died in the middle of the defender scan yesterday I think!! Ahhh!!!

All thoughts and ideas very gratefully received - save me the expense of buying a new laptop!!

Cheers
    Simon

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Any flashing lights or beeps on boot up--usually coded for boot errors. Sounds as if the bios is looking for some hardware which has failed and won't go any further. Might be something simple like the keyboard? Check the memory DIMMS are seated correctly

3. OP
    OP
    merc180k

Car:
    Hi mate,
    No, nothing unfortunately! I have tried again after a clean of the terminals for the memory and left for a minute - the fan is running but nothing else, no beeps, no screen, no flashing lights.

Any other ideas?

4. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    If you have 2 DIMMS remove one and try to boot. Then swap in the other DIMM instead. As a VERY last resort you could also get the BIOS back to basic DEFAULT factory setting by removing the POWER+backup battery for 30 minutes. You will lose your specific config for your computer tho and may need to boot from a floppy/cd. Its possible your CPU is fried tho.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    merc180k

Car:
    Tried that with the memory - even tried removing both. Will take battery off and leave as you say for 30 mins or so.

Tags: