Death Rattle!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fandango

Occasionally, about once in every ten drives, when I switch the engine off, it continues to rattle and splutter for about 3 seconds before it dies.

This is completely random as far as I know, it sometimes happens after a long journey but also occurred recently while the engine was still cold.

There are no other symptoms, it drives beautifully - it's just an annoying thing.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Karl

Usally a sign of a worn cam belt... In your case not sure as i imagine you have a chain? So could be nothing, whats the mileage?

ADY1983 said:
Usally a sign of a worn cam belt... In your case not sure as i imagine you have a chain? So could be nothing, whats the mileage?

two possibilities with a diesel, either the fuel isn't switching off properly, or it's running on it's own engine oil. has the oil been changed recently? it could be diluted, does it smoke or use a lot of oil? I'd go
for the fuel stop solenoid not seating properly when you switch off.

I'd suggest its something to do with the fuel shut off valve. Its on the side of the injector pump, 3 pipes going into it (2 on top, 1 below), and a big electrical connector on the side.

Thanks Gents.

We dropped off the Mrs F's Peugeot for a service today and mentioned it to Stan the mechanic. He said: "Oh, I know..." and fiddled with some of the electrical connections. He thinks it may have been what Parrot said.
I'll see how it goes now, it hasn't happened again so far today...

The mileage is 120k, there's no smoke apart from full throttle, and even then not excessive. It is due for a service shortly and hardly used any oil since the last one.

cheers
Karl

If it is a Peugeot I'd put money on it being the stop solenoid, especially at that mileage.

Ditto.

The Mercedes can't really do this trick because as well as having a stop solenoid there is a return spring on the rack which takes the rack all the way to the stop position.
The Pug uses a rotary pump so this feature isn't available so a stop solenoid is a necessity.
Often the solenoids stick shut or partially open so cause staring problems. Best replaced if playing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom