Debadged or Different

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Hi all, I'm a newbie to MB and to this forum so please xcuse this as a dumb question if it is one. I would like to know why some E Class cars say KOMPRESSOR on the offside of the bootlid and others do not?? I have found this to be the case with similar models of similar age and cant understand why. What does KOMPRESSOR mean and are there indeed differences in these cars or are they just debadged? If they are debadged then why does the owner choose to keep the actual model badge on nearside of the bootlid? The example I have is that of 2001 E240 cars. Can someone please educate me? :confused:

kompressor is german for supercharger :D

An E240 will be a V6 normally aspirated engine.

The E200 was available in a supercharged version, and just standard.

There was never an E240 kompressor so if you have seen that combination , I reckon the owner has stupidly added a badge (or maybe, cleverly added a supercharger!!)

Lots of different engine variations!

S.

Last edited:
Thanks Sym - I did see E240 KOMPRESSOR on a 2001 model and did wonder whether this was legitimate. In fact I was tempted to go out and buy one too (a badge I mean :D ) ..... but didn't!!! I guess those that know..know right?? Does everyone consider it to be a big NO-NO????

Driving along the M4 elevated section today, near Brentford/Chiswick, I saw a silver W202 (with a £100 'private' plate!) badged (and not particularly perfectly!) as a CLK 320 KOMPRESSOR!!! :crazy:

What the hell does this guy think he is doing, and who the hell is he trying to fool (anybody who would be impressed with the 320 part would also be aware that it was quite obviously not a CLK!) :rolleyes:

Just about the worst badging I have ever seen (at least the 316 M3 reps and AMG badged W202s are based on the correct chassis!)

Very Sad!

Cheers,

Will

Herbie said:
In fact I was tempted to go out and buy one too (a badge I mean :D ) ..... but didn't!!! I guess those that know..know right?? Does everyone consider it to be a big NO-NO????

A relative of mine who was a regular customer of Malaya in Bromley (now closed) bought a brand new S320 a few years ago but asked the Sales Manager to badge it as an S500 before he took delivery. He did it with no questions asked. If a member of MB staff is willing to do this then I can't see any reason why anybody else shouldn't be able to do the same :D

As you rightly say though, the guys in the know will spot a dud quite easily :)

I once had an BMW Alpina B10 and some git nicked the 'B10' badge from my bootlid. When I ordered a replacement through Sytner BMW in Nottingham I had to provide my chassis number and proof of ownership of a genuine Alpina before they would supply me with a replacement badge.

I'm not sure if an MB dealer would require the same for ordering, say an AMG badge? Mind you there's enough of them going on eBay anyway so I guess nobody would be getting these from the stealer anyway.

Will said:
Driving along the M4 elevated section today, near Brentford/Chiswick, I saw a silver W202 (with a £100 'private' plate!) badged (and not particularly perfectly!) as a CLK 320 KOMPRESSOR!!! :crazy:

What the hell does this guy think he is doing, and who the hell is he trying to fool (anybody who would be impressed with the 320 part would also be aware that it was quite obviously not a CLK!) :rolleyes:

Just about the worst badging I have ever seen (at least the 316 M3 reps and AMG badged W202s are based on the correct chassis!)

Very Sad!

Cheers,

Will

Will - I saw the same car about a month ago with the same badging on the A41! Its got to be the same guy? Surely there can't be two people doing the same 'mod'? ;)

High-Lo said:
I'm not sure if an MB dealer would require the same for ordering, say an AMG badge? Mind you there's enough of them going on eBay anyway so I guess nobody would be getting these from the stealer anyway.

I don't think they stop you , they are just VERY expencive.

I must be honest guys - I don't really understand all this stuff about W*** numbers - I am buying a E240 Elegance Aug 2001 - this is Y plated and twin headlamps as opposed to the oval style :( . Can anyone quickly list the types etc. - specifically E class.

Also is it common for the dashboard digital clock to become faulty? I mean digits that dont show on staring the engine (no faults without ignition tho.) - can anyone advise of similar problems and how they were resolved please?

just to be clear folks - I dont mean when you 'stare' at the engine - I mean when you start it!! :rolleyes:

Will said:

Very Sad!

Cheers,

Will

Will - I too have seen this "big joke" many times - it is a facelift W202 (silver) - elegance and has a private plate that is cheap and begins with "T1M**". Am I correct ?

Flash

Flash said:
Will - I too have seen this "big joke" many times - it is a facelift W202 (silver) - elegance and has a private plate that is cheap and begins with "T1M**". Am I correct ?

Flash

We'd better be careful Flash - The "big joke" could be a member :)

Herbie said:
I must be honest guys - I don't really understand all this stuff about W*** numbers - I am buying a E240 Elegance Aug 2001 - this is Y plated and twin headlamps as opposed to the oval style :( . Can anyone quickly list the types etc. - specifically E class.

Do a search on "List of Model codes" and you will find a full list from a previous thread.

High-Lo said:
We'd better be careful Flash - The "big joke" could be a member :)

Apologies - I did not mean to intend to direct it personally at the owner but the badging is just hillarious...

If I have caused any offence to anyone then I sincerely apologise in advance and take it back...

Flash

fuzzer said:
I don't think they stop you , they are just VERY expencive.

Yeah.

I hear Brabus badges can be got more cheaply ......... :rolleyes:

That was a "cheap" jibe.

he he @ Pietre :D

Funny how this subject always keeps coming up and how there are those that like to badge and those that stick with the real thing and those that go into stealth mode :cool:

pammy said:
Funny how this subject always keeps coming up and how there are those that like to badge and those that stick with the real thing and those that go into stealth mode

Stealth looks nice, in my opinion, unless you really have something worth bragging about : ;)

Stealth mode is good until you get asked "is that a real Brabus" and you then mutter "NO! I can only afford the wheels". But debadged makes the hot hatches think twice about traffic light grand prix.

As I've said many times before - I always prefer the subtle approach - wolf in sheep's clothing and all that - or the truth :D Nice to see Brabus/AMG when it's real :rock: :cool:

Herbie said:

Also is it common for the dashboard digital clock to become faulty? I mean digits that dont show on staring the engine (no faults without ignition tho.) - can anyone advise of similar problems and how they were resolved please?

I am very much like you, but it sounds like a W210. The very latest number for the E-class is 211. 'W' represents the saloon (wagen) 'S' Estate or something like 'StationWagen'

I would love to know all the other numbers???

Does anyone have a link please??

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom