Debadging a new car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TommyGunn

Hi Folks,

Been a lurker for couple of months and now signed up, first post. :)

I have a new E250 CDi Coupe Sport on order to pick up in the new year and the dealer mentioned in passing about some buyers having all badges taken off for new car delivery.

What is the purpose of this? Is this something I should be considering?

Ta.

Tommy

Last edited:
hi and welcome, some do some dont its all personal taste!

Hi Folks,

Been a lurker for couple of months and now signed up, first post. :)

I have a new E250 Coupe Sport on order to pick up in the new year and the dealer mentioned in passing about some buyers having all badges taken off for new car delivery.

What is the purpose of this? Is this something I should be considering?

Ta.

Tommy

A few of us were talking about just that the other day and I think the consensus was that it leaves a ''cleaner'' better looking rear to a car......especially the R230.

Mine has not been debadged and because i am not one for tinkering it probably will not happen.....but may be it should.

Mic

It definitely gives a 'cleaner' look to the rear of the car if that's what you want. Others do it to hide the engine size, for whatever reason. Lots of threads on here about it if you do a search. If you want it done, then get the dealer to do it before delivery.

I also like the clean look but I havent debabdged for 2 reasons.

1. I have the smallest engine possible (E200) and many on here think that people debabdge to give the impression that they have got a much larger engine than they have actually got. My case is made worse as my car has 2 pipes, one on either side which may pass it off as a V6. So I have left mine on to show that I am proud of my car regardless of the engine size. If I had an E500, I am sure the badges would have come off cause nothing beats that clean look.

2. I am pretty uselss at anything DIY and my car wasnt factory ordered.

I much prefer debadged cars as I think all the additional chrome saying it is a 300 this or an AMG that looks a little tacky, a little bit like the aftermarket badges from Halfords !!

A nice clean look to the back of the car is much better IMHO

I ordered mine debadged, not worried about the engine size, just wanted a cleaner looking rear end, have done the same with all previous cars.

When I had the 320 resprayed i didn't put the badge back on.

The number plate says "***220" so it looks like a 220 to people when they look at it.

Only I know that its actually a 320. :devil:

KJ

I prefer to debadge for the cleaner look. Letters are also just a muck trap IMHO.
Conversely I do like to leave the star on.

this subject splits opinion like few others!

I prefer a de-badged car - my current C220cdi is de-badged and all my previous BMW's were de-badged also - all bar the star / roundel in the middle of course.

I don't really like badges at all - I think the back of modern cars loook better with no letter stuck on them

My car came debadged from the dealer (with the claim that all 'execs/ special editions' were debadged anyway. But I actually returned to the dealer and asked themt o put the badges back on - even though my car is a humble C200 - because I actually liked the 'copleteness' of the look with the numbers, etc on the back. Without them the rear end looked a bit Skoda-esque - not knocking Skodas here btw! - and I'm proud of my Merc, 200 or not!

As mentioned, lots of threads on this.

Just to add that de-badging is a very easy DIY job, they are basically held on with double-sided tape which you can 'saw' through in a few seconds using dental floss passed behind the badge.

Then warm what's left on the car with a hairdryer, and you can roll it off with your fingertips or a piece of sticky 'gaffer' tape (no solvents etc. required) .

I think that the 'Blue Efficiency' badges need to be removed as they make the car look very cheap. They are more like something you would find on a Ford Fiesta than a Mercedes!

Personally I prefer the debadged look. Our CLK and SLK were ordered new without badges. The S124 has its badges and they are a real pain to clean around properly - will probably remove them when its comes back to the UK for service/MOT etc.

I wonder what the ratio is? Cars debadged with small / diesel engines vs cars with big petrol engines?

Just to add that de-badging is a very easy DIY job, they are basically held on with double-sided tape which you can 'saw' through in a few seconds using dental floss passed behind the badge.

I thought some badges had locating pins :dk: Would like to de-badge the boot on mine if it's that simple. Can anyone confirm if this is the case for a 2003 W211?

I thought some badges had locating pins :dk: Would like to de-badge the boot on mine if it's that simple. Can anyone confirm if this is the case for a 2003 W211?
Some old Mercs did have pins on the badges, but I'm sure the ones on a W211 don't. Try the dental floss - if there do happen to be pins it won't do any harm - the badge will just stay put!

The model and type designations are stuck on. The centre MB 3 pointed star has a central fixing with pins

The debaged look is often requested as some drivers like to hide the spec of their vehicle. All the badges are actually fairly easy to put on again (so long as you know the positioning) apart from the star badge which is always attached by three grommets. Also easier to polish & clean.

Thanks for excellent feedback and advice :)

I've looked at other threads (sorry, should have searched first!) and concensus seems to be split. I'm still not sure what to do but I must admit the car looks good debadged - see pics below

I do agree with Jules though, 'Blue Efficiency' badge is awful and it will be going for sure. :)

2hxye6g.jpg

2nis22q.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom