Debadging - it's OK on an old car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenmercedes

Car
W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
The 'how to' on debadging has been done to death, but just wanted to say I just did it on my 17 year old C240. Was a bit concerned at first that it may leave some sort of ghosting on the paint after so long being stuck on from the factory, but it all went perfectly. Took me about 15 minutes with a hair dryer, a plastic scraper, a solvent to remove glue residue, and a coating of wax to protect. I( know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine...

debadged caption.jpg

Looks much better.

It's possibly more of an issue on darker colours, where the exposed paint on the rest of the car may have faded fractionally.

Can we see some less zoomed in pics :)

Its all down to personal taste, its a sort of customizing thing.
I think any year car de badged looks ok

I think any year car de badged looks ok

Yes it does. I was just highlighting the point that removing the badge after 17 years in situ went without a hitch. I guess it's a good testament to the quality of the original paint job...

Good stuff - looks better IMO.

My de-badging was even better, as it was simply never re-badged after its full respray. :)

I only did it because the 280 isn’t a diesel or a more modern CGI so there was no badge on the right side, only the C280 on the left, so the otherwise perfect symmetry, down to the tailpipe out of either side, was spoiled by it.

My de-badging was even better, as it was simply never re-badged after its full respray. :)

I only did it because the 280 isn’t a diesel or a more modern CGI so there was no badge on the right side, only the C280 on the left, so the otherwise perfect symmetry, down to the tailpipe out of either side, was spoiled by it.

We want pics

lol I’m not sure I’ve got any before and after pics.

Here's an after...
IMG_1072.jpg

EDIT: Oh, I do, but this is before it went in for it's respray obviously, and you can see the reason why!

IMG_0482.jpg

The 'how to' on debadging has been done to death, but just wanted to say I just did it on my 17 year old C240. Was a bit concerned at first that it may leave some sort of ghosting on the paint after so long being stuck on from the factory, but it all went perfectly. Took me about 15 minutes with a hair dryer, a plastic scraper, a solvent to remove glue residue, and a coating of wax to protect. I( know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine...

View attachment 76006
I remember years ago that de-badging in Germany was usually to hide the fact that you had the top-of-the-range model. Sort of inverted snobbery.

So, if you saw a de-badged S-class, it was probably a 6.9.

My 300CE-24 is de-badged but hardly top-of-the-range!!

RayH

View attachment 76006

I'm personally not so keen on the 'before & after' badges , but it does look good.

I remember years ago that de-badging in Germany was usually to hide the fact that you had the top-of-the-range model.

Where my in-laws live (Leonberg, not far from Stuttgart) it seems very common, on all levels/specs. Some with big exhaust pipes and some with little ones :D

I must admit, debadging a car can be a really quick and easy way (heat gun and dental floss) to make the back end look really clean and tidy. That E55 looks great, especially with the number plate too.

I've kept my CLS63 badges on, I think it's earned it's AMG badge. On my E320 though, I got the badges off fairly quickly. That was 13 years old when I took them off and although there was a very very faint outline where the paint had faded around them, it was barely noticeable. You'd never know now and the car looks really tidy for it.

cM9MikU.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom