Decent alternative to hozelock attachments?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB James

Car
S-Class W222
Whenever I use my nilfisk jet wash, the hose attachments disconnect from the tap or the connection at the hose reel after a couple of minutes of use. Its the pressure from the nilfisk that causes it. Are there any stronger attachments I can use instead of hozelock? I'm also using the standard soft hose.

Hozelock are usually very sturdy. But they do get copied and those ones may not be as good.

But surely the pressure from the washer comes after the water has gone through the machine...not at the tap or hose reel?

Hozelock are usually very sturdy. But they do get copied and those ones may not be as good.

This. I had issues using some older cheap stuff, which was great for a normal hose, but couldn't cope with the pressure washer. Put the genuine item on it (yellow ones if it makes a difference) and it's been fine since.

But surely the pressure from the washer comes after the water has gone through the machine...not at the tap or hose reel?

Absolutely; I think it's the instant on/off which causes it. From full pressure going through the machine to zero as soon as the trigger is released, unlike a hose which is marginally slowed down first.

I'm using genuine hozelock gear. Like you say, I think its the instant pressure.
Sometimes the female attachment comes away from the male attachment on the reel. Sometimes the hose disconnects from the attachment. Either way it's bloody annoying when it happens. I might try the brass connectors. Perhaps I'll buy are more solid hose as well.

Hmmmm. My high-powered Nilfisk works fine with my Hozelock attachments.
Sounds more like your water pressure is too high? Does the connection "blow" when you let go of the trigger?
You can change the hose connection on the washer to a Hoselock one.
We always use Hoselock despite being in trade, due to compatibility issues with cross-branding (everyone has Hoselock!!).
You can get an upgraded female hose end connector - instead of the knurled compression fitting they have an elongated "skirt" - also seem a bit more robust and a more positive action. Try those?
But you do need to look at the condition of your male connectors at the tap and the washer.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes its the pressure thats too high. I think I'll try that new Hozelock end connector, thanks JohnnyBoy. Failing that I'll go with the geka ones.

We use hose lock connectors at work on 5000lph pumps that we drop into the river to power the pressure washers in areas where there isn't hose access. They never pop off ?

Yes its the pressure thats too high. I think I'll try that new Hozelock end connector, thanks JohnnyBoy. Failing that I'll go with the geka ones.
Can't you put a ballofix valve or a regulator in behind the tap?

the geka stuff has a much bigger hole than hozelock plastic fittings, which becomes relevant with long runs or low pressure.

Simple fix to the problem. I've done away with the hozelock reel which had about 10m of hose wrapped around. Cut off a length to go straight from the tap to the nilfisk. Pressure doesn't seem to build up so much and the hose stays attached.
Result and it didn't cost anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom