Decent degreaser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jarnam

Car
W123 280 CE, Audi Q3 & A3, Mitsi L200
Part of my restoration is to clean the engine block as i go along, now my car has 32 years worth of oily gunk all over the block.... so to all the pros whats a decent degreaser that would eat through the oil etc

I am using POR15 marine degreaser. It has done a pretty good job so far.

I use hyper clean for degreasing, very good stuff and water soluble. You can get it at most factors such as Unity Auto Factors... I get it in a 25L drum but Im pretty sure smaller sizes are available.

- D

thanks for the replies, i will get a few of the ones named above and give it a shot

Acetone or isopropyl alcohol.

On here it seems they want the 'Laboratoir Garnier science' bit, i.e. branded formulas, not the actual organic solvents that are proven to work and cost much less.:doh:

I just use neat TFR, simple but effective.

Autosmart G101 - absolutely brilliant. Can be used neat or diluted at various strengths. Cleans everything from engines to bodywork /wheels to carpets. Can buy it in various sizes on ebay. Used by loads of detailers and non-caustic.

We use Bilt Hamber Surfex or AutoGlym Clean All, both of which are great value and very effective.

Has to be G101 all the time. I use it for everything, dilutes it works on carpets and has replaced all my household cleaners. Buy 5l drums for best value

To be honest any "brake cleaner" from a motor factor will do the job perfectly. Get a metal tray, semi-submerse the block, get a stiff brush and clean away!
Save some for rinsing down after.
Beware the fire risk, wear nitrile gloves and goggles.

To be honest any "brake cleaner" from a motor factor will do the job perfectly. Get a metal tray, semi-submerse the block, get a stiff brush and clean away!
Save some for rinsing down after.
Beware the fire risk, wear nitrile gloves and goggles.

Bilt Hamber HD Cleanse. It's cheap and has the advantage of being organic rather than chemical (which also means it doesn't smell terrible, smells a bit citrusy if anything). You can use it neat or dilute it down as required depending on which bit you do. Buy a garden pressure sprayer off e-bay with lance to get into all of the hard to reach places and a variety of hard to soft brushes.

Take care to not get any of the suggestions above (inc. this one) on polished paintwork or it will mark ......

Late to the party - but I find Fairy Power Spray works really well :D spray, leave for a while, agitate, rinse off - done!

Just use any cheap bodywash or shampoo from a supermarket. If it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - it's a great engine degreaser apparently;)

Get an ordinary domestic steam cleaner and some Cillit Bang. If that doesn't clean it nothing will.

They use Cillit Bang in Nuclear Power stations to clean up spills - that's good enough for me!

I use Loctite 7840, neat it has actually removed 20 year old baked on oil from machine tools without any agitation whatsoever, you can dilute it down to 16/1 and also use it all over the house, even in the kitchen.

Wonderful stuff, I get in 5L from RS components about £25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom