Decent W124 E320 Sportline Cabrio but how much?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Seems like a decent car but how much???

1994 Mercedes E320 Sportline Convertible Cabriolet - 113,000 Miles - Blue/Black | eBay

Minimal history as age old story of its lost but I have it somewhere. Leather isn't in great shape. One key it seems with cracked headlight and sun visors. If you are going to pop it up prospectively for silly money it needs to be with full documented (supported) history and spotless.

I bought one of these a few years back as a project that needed some work. Finished up easily as nice as this and half the price. Have prices marched on that much? Seems rich to me.

No - prices haven't marched on that much.

It has far too many Barry Boy "modifications" that are wrong for the car and with or without them the vendor is a dreamer.

I thought the same...I would expect it to be not even hundreds but thousands. They were quite popular.

I’m sure the chap that owns it is a member here, German flower pot (Gfp)?

It has far too many Barry Boy "modifications" that are wrong for the car and with or without them the vendor is a dreamer.

What's Barry on that?!!!

I thought the same...I would expect it to be not even hundreds but thousands. They were quite popular.
There were less than 1400 124 cabs sold new in the UK, approximate figures less than 800 with 220 engines, and less than 600 with 320 engines. Even if the seller means 41 Sportline 320s, I'd be surprised if there weren't more.

I think the 124 cab is an acquired taste for some reason, and they are difficult to photograph to do them justice. Despite the lower numbers, they don't seem to be enjoying the success of the 129 in the appreciation stakes. The seller would have been better off spending some of his money on sorting out the upholstery, which looks more at home in a sub £10k car.

I am sure that has been advertised previously on there but around half that price, within the previous 6/8 months. I maybe wrong, as if it wasn't, there was one exactly the same that was!

Glad everyone thinks the same. I've seen some very nice examples at this or similar money but they had more right to be there it seems.
I like them & think they are great cars. Sometimes wonder if I should have kept mine but it was a stepping stone into something else at the time.

It's laughable to think that any prospective buyer would pay out good money for a car without driving it first. I can't imagine he'll be getting too many enquiries, to be honest.

if you lot dont mind id like to address a few points raised and you are right to raise them

"age old story of its lost but I have it somewhere"

well its probably in the loft mixed up with all the xmas stuff or its been throw away, i had a superb set of old receipts for it as both the last owner and me kept every single receipt, each one in an A4 clear sleeve and the whole lot in a A4 ring folder in chronological order, i still have some of it but as i cant get in my loft (ive been sat down since 1991) and its full of boxes i dont have anyone who can spend a day looking through it all but if you are passing feel free to come find it for me

---------------------

"Leather isn't in great shape"
&
"The seller would have been better off spending some of his money on sorting out the upholstery"

i have made a few posts on here over the years for a mobile leather cleaner as i want the job done properly and not just to let my local car cleaner have a go at it but as yet i have not found a mobile cleaner and i can not get in the car let alone drive it somewhere or even get anyone else to drop it off, there is nothing wrong with the leather it just need cleaning

"It has far too many Barry Boy "modifications" that are wrong for the car"

it has 1, the grill and i will give the old grill away with the car if they want it, other than that id like to know what you have seen thats no 100% factory other than the locking wheel bolts?

---------------------

"Only 41 convertible E320 W124s came to the UK? Really?"

it was a topic using a site i think called 'how many left' that listed the exact number of each model made for the uk market and how many were still on the road on this merc site or the other merc site many years ago and refers to the w124 e320 convertible sportline edition (which im sure you know has the sportline steering wheel, gear selector, smaller turning circle & side badges)

---------------------

"A quick look at his feedback shows that's not true."

i listed this last april and then my daughters mother asked me to list her fiesta last summer, then when i relisted my car this month i didnt edit the listing, but the point of me saying that was to show im not a trader as we all know traders sell on ebay and pretend they are not traders

---------------------

"It's laughable to think that any prospective buyer would pay out good money for a car without driving it first. I can't imagine he'll be getting too many inquiries, to be honest."

this is to stop 'test pilots' wanting to turn up and drive my car, once i get someone to come see it (i had 2 last year) and you can see they are seriously interested in the car i did let them both drive it

why didnt they buy it i hear you ask, well the rear window was stuck & the battery and alternator needed changing so thats why only one of them made me an offer and the other wanted to part exchange his audi but as i cant drive i said no

---------------------

also ive had 4 offers for the car, £10,000 last summer, the bloke with the audi and £12,000 & £15,000 in the last month and spent 30 mins on the phone to a bloke this week talking about it

obviously you list it for more than you want

im in no hurry to sell the car and its not like its going to go down in value any time soon, it sits on my drive way with the fitted cover on it, gets started up once a month and reversed off of the drive then back on again the other way around

ive poked holes in peoples listing in the past so im fine with that i just thought id put some of the comments straight

"It has far too many Barry Boy "modifications" that are wrong for the car"

it has 1, the grill and i will give the old grill away with the car if they want it, other than that id like to know what you have seen thats no 100% factory other than the locking wheel bolts?

The wheels.

also ive had 4 offers for the car, £10,000 last summer, the bloke with the audi and £12,000 & £15,000 in the last month and spent 30 mins on the phone to a bloke this week talking about it.

If someone has offered you £12k or £15k then snatch their hand off.

My W124 cabrio (only an E220 but in a better colour, far better condition and with half the mileage) took a while to sell and went for half of what you are asking.

Good luck with the sale.

the wheels?

ah, the sportline alloys are awful

these are the same wheels that the amg kit came out of the factory with on my last coupe

and blue/black is the best colour

far better condition, there is nothing wrong with it other than the sun visors

Last edited:
the wheels?

they are w124 amg alloys the exact same as the ones the car left the factory with ffs, what are you on about

The car isn't an AMG and the wheels are not standard for it.

and blue/black is the best colour

Azurite blue is recognised as the most in-demand colour for these cars.

far better condition, there is nothing wrong with it other than the sun visors

As has already been pointed out, the seats are rather less than perfect......

Last edited:
You may be able to take care of the seats yourself, I think Bruce Miller did and reported good results with these products.

E-Class (W124) | VOLICO.de - von Liebenstein Consulting | Your contact partner for leather and interior paints for Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche

If you have a fitted cover I'd be very interested in it if it is in good condition and the new owner is a little tight with the offer....

Yup. It’s true.

I set about my mushroom (coloured not mouldy) Sportline interior using this paint and lacquer.

The colour match was (this is true) so good, it was difficult to see where the paint was going onto the seats.

But the results were good enough for the Benz on the Green judges and Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine.

Tip: if you are simply cleaning the seats? Remember you are cleaning a PVC lacquer and NOT leather. Mahoosively expensive and exotic leather treatments will simply make things smell good as they do not penetrate the protective PVC lacquer that is applied at the factory. A good general purpose PVC cleaner will produce great results. I used a white cream cleaner that was mildly abrasive. It took a lot of time and effort but produced the desired effect. This is the drivers side bolster “after” being cleaned, rubbed down, painted and lacquered.

838f9a0a6a165dd9e3296bda9346b7fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that your personal circumstances prevent you from getting the car up to scratch, but for the money you're asking, it must be worth paying someone for their services? I'd start with your friend who will drive the car and ask him/her to get up in the loft and find the records you say you have, otherwise they are worthless words in the advert, which detract from your credibility as a seller.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, buyers aren't really interested in those words when looking at pictures of overpriced cars, and for the money the upholstery really lets it down as it looks uncared for. As you say, these cars are few and far between, so why would a buyer waste their time and money coming to see a car that isn't well presented (hence 30 minute phone calls)? Again, for the money, most people would want an unmolested example, and the add on AMG kit would take it out of this category. As revered as an AMG kit is, it's not an AMG model, so you will lose the purists on a car like this.

I hope I'm not being unfair about your car, and I'd love to see you get your asking price for it, but from a buyer's perspective I think back to when I bought mine and the miles I travelled and time I wasted looking at cars whose owners had unrealistic expectations. There is another one currently for sale by the third owner for £13995 @90k miles, so if £15k is on the table for you, I would think that's a good offer. Good luck with the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom