Decision time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex4638

Car
GLB AMG35
Well the lease is just about up on my C63 507 estate, so it’s time to decide if I keep the car or trade for a new AMG C63 estate.

My take on this is:

I’ve had a test drive in the new car and my thoughts were its quick, the exhaust note was great, it handled well, the interior was very classy, it has all the configurability and more you could ever want. So on paper and on the road it’s appears to be the better car.

So it's a done deal? Well not quite.....

The 507 does have a couple of Aces’ up its sleeve – the steering feel, the lovely alcantara steering wheel and the no nonsense just get in a drive approach, and of course the engine. Compared to the new car it feels faster, more alive and engaging.

I suppose it’s all about why you buy a AMG car, for me it is about the reward I get from driving the car at 7/10ths along my local A & B roads. I don’t agree that making a car faster and more complicated automatically makes it better to drive. Do I need a car faster than my 507 and with multiple suspension settings? At the time I bought the 507 there were other cars that were faster, with better gear boxes and had all the multi-configurable options. But I choose the C63 and the appeal of the 6.2ltr engine and more straight forward dynamics.

For me, this reasoning hasn’t changed, so the 507 will be staying!

Good choice :)

Did you get as far as discussing terms on the new car?

Peter DLM. I did look at the costs in some detail and best I was quoted was 7.8% discount on the OTR price for an AMG C63 estate - iridium sliver, 19" titanium alloys, ash trim & premium pack. Which I thought was an excellent deal.

But the cost difference between re-financing the 507 Vs new car pcp was £400/month :eek:
Also the balloon payment on the 507 was around 20% less than I would have to pay to buy one 2nd hand.

This did influence my decision but it was not the deciding factor.

I like your logic
I also tend to agree about the older cars having more of a thoroughbread feel to them

I didn't decide to keep mine - drove the new S and I just felt the needle had been moved on in every area, including speed which is primarily down to the turbo torque.

I'll miss my 507 but time moves on.

Also agree, about value, the 507 has held its value really well so financially it makes sense - I'm trading mine in but there is money in the car still which is nice.

I'm undecided on the new C class shape.
I just get the feeling it doesn't lend itself well to a sporty/menancing look C63's usually have. Interior is much nicer but at the same time, I hate the screen which looks like an ipad just stuck on as an afterthought.

I will need to decide what to do by 26th December this year. I can of course repay the so-called guaranteed buy back amount, part exchange using any equity left in the car or just give the car back to the dealer.

My buy back is £25.5k. The car is worth somewhere between £29-35k today (and probably falling), so I should do something more positive than hand it back to a dealer. But here’s the problem: Where do you go to from a 6.2 litre V8 Estate with loads of annoying technology that eventually grows on you until you are dependent on it? How could I possibly trade down to a turbo-charged eco-car, even if does have more power, economy and a better gear box? It’d be like getting off Concorde and getting on an Airbus. It’s just not what I had in mind.

Let’s hope that somewhere they are experimenting so that the very few of us who like wildly impractical supercars that can transport dogs, are not left out of the recovering global economy.

(from my blog)

I'm undecided on the new C class shape.
I just get the feeling it doesn't lend itself well to a sporty/menancing look C63's usually have. Interior is much nicer but at the same time, I hate the screen which looks like an ipad just stuck on as an afterthought.

I think new C Class looks better in estate guise...the rear of the saloon looks a bit like a dog taking a sh*t. I didn't like the stuck on iPad at first either but have got used to the look now...and actually really like it!

Electric V Hydraulic power steering?? One of the down sides of getting a car to park itself!

I think you have made the right decision.

My C63 is due to return to Merc in two months. I would have seriously considered keeping her if she were not vanilla flavoured (no options).

I did ask Merc how much to buy, and they quoted me £35,500ish. Not a bad price, but at that price I could buy a better specced C63.

I did buy some 19" AMG Black alloys though, and these will come off and the original 18" alloys will go back on. If I did go for a 205 C63S, I would hope the W204 alloys would happily go onto the W205.

The 507 edition is a bit special, and destined to be the next M3 CSL in my opinion.

I don't think it will be the next CSL - because the BS is already the halo model. The 507 is the next best C63 after the BS of course but it's more of a special edition than a serious factory reworking like the BS or CSL. The way I looked at it was I won't keep my 507 for years and years so if I fancied a change, no time like the present. I have had my 1988 Audi quattro for over 10 years so I'm not adverse to keeping cars if I think they are real special. All imo of course and the 507 is a great C63 edition that wi be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom