Decisions decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
It's getting towards the time when I could do with something bigger than the Cupra. At the moment I have the usual suspects shortlisted:

530d/730d Sport (can't get on with SE interior)
E320cdi
(and an Accord Tourer as an outside choice at a cheaper price)

I don't mind whether it's saloon or estate, as high a spec as possible. Heated seats, nav and Xenons a must.

E320's seem to be far more plentiful than BMW's, and better value with it. A lot of the BMW are pretty poverty spec. Any compelling reason for getting one of the others over a W211? My understanding is that it went a long way to restoring the standards after the 210's dismal showing.

The silver 320 estate Jay has in stock is especially tempting at the moment (aka$h's saloon would have been perfect but its already gone :doh: )

No, none, £ for £ the MB 211 is the best buy of the large execs. A 730d is too slow, tried one too gutless. A 530d is a compelling car, but the benz feels nice to drive and great to wash a way miles in fun and comfort.

hmmm a 730d would be a worth competitor against a E320 CDI as it has pressence. Drive them all and see what you think

Tried the 730d already, and I get what you're saying Steve, it was comfy but you could feel it didn't really want to hurry anywhere...ironic really as the 211 isn't far off the same weight. It's also a different league in terms of potential running costs, and the SL is already expensive enough!

The E60 seems to have quite a cramped cabin, the B-pillar is quite claustrophobic (a trend they've continued with the E90, I barely fit in!).

I guess it's pointing towards the 211, but my concern is the surprise bill round the corner. I've run an E39 530d in the past and that was ok for running costs, main thing being suspension bushes going sloppy at about 70k.

All old mens cars, consider a Focus.

That's not really bigger now, is it? :rolleyes: Plus the auto diesels couldn't pull the c*ck off a chocolate mouse

I'm 6'2, with long torso, a prop forward body frame, and dodgy knees and hips. I've spent the last ten years tearing about like my hair is on fire in a succession of hot Japanese imports. My other car is an SL.

An old man's car will do fine :D

Last edited:
That's not really bigger now, is it? :rolleyes:

I'm 6'2, with long torso, a prop forward body frame, and dodgy knees and hips. I've spent the last ten years tearing about like my hair is on fire in a succession of hot Japanese imports. My other car is an SL.

An old man's car will do fine :D

Think of the women, last thing a young bloke needs is some old battleship of a car.

Young? :D

That's what the SL and the Ducati are for. Anyway, thinking of women is what caused me all this grief over the past few years ;)

A Focus diesel estate is hardly a recipe for success either

Last edited:
I had a 730d Sport in a funny green colour as a company car in 2003 / 2004 - what an engine, what an interior - a really great car I did 70k miles in 2 years, a truly briliant car - you must drive it.

The 211. You can't go wrong with a late one.

The 211. You can't go wrong with a late one.

Can't quite stretch to a late one chap, looking at 04/05. This is effectively the 3rd vehicle behind the SL and Ducati.

Young? :D

That's what the SL and the Ducati are for. Anyway, thinking of women is what caused me all this grief over the past few years ;)

A Focus diesel estate is hardly a recipe for success either

Any diesel estate is not going to attract the fairer sex....

Can't quite stretch to a late one chap, looking at 04/05. This is effectively the 3rd vehicle behind the SL and Ducati.

Still a decent motor, all the engines are up for the task, but the 270/320 probably more suitable.

Funny how tastes are different. I went on a test drive in a 730d around Edinburgh and stetches of the A1. Agreed the cabin is nice, but it was a tad slow and overall I did not feel it was a real wafter. The 211 320cdi covers ground more effortlessly and quicker and using less fuel and is still almost as spacious.

Still a decent motor, all the engines are up for the task, but the 270/320 probably more suitable.

Funny how tastes are different. I went on a test drive in a 730d around Edinburgh and stetches of the A1. Agreed the cabin is nice, but it was a tad slow and overall I did not feel it was a real wafter. The 211 320cdi covers ground more effortlessly and quicker and using less fuel and is still almost as spacious.

I was all set to trade the E for a 730d, but couldn't get the price in range of what I wanted to pay - I really like the BMW (probably due to the obscenely huge Alpina wheels) which was black, with cream leather, and looked long, low and purposeful. Interior is nice on the 7 as well, and much cheaper than an equivalent S (but not nearly as smooth)

I would add that this car will have 2 main purposes - the winter commute to work, and a motorway bashing load lugger. This includes a 1000mile non-stop run to Italy with 4 6' people in the car, plus a bootful of beer on the way home.

I was quite distressed to find many of the 730d's I was looking at didn't have Xenons. Pretty poor on a car of that ilk if you ask me.

Last edited:
I would add that this car will have 2 main purposes - the winter commute to work, and a motorway bashing load lugger. This includes a 1000mile non-stop run to Italy with 4 6' people in the car, plus a bootful of beer on the way home.

I was quite distressed to find many of the 730d's I was looking at didn't have Xenons. Pretty poor on a car of that ilk if you ask me.

211 Estate definitely then. They have air suspension in the back and can carry more beer than anything else in their class...

211 Estate definitely then. They have air suspension in the back and can carry more beer than anything else in their class...

This is good. Peroni is £1 a bottle (660ml) where my dad lives, leading to the consumption of 97 bottles in 6 days between me and my mate on the last trip out there :D

when i was looking for a E65 7 series i looked at the 730d.... i'm into my gizmos and toys so wanted a really high spec car.... couldnt find one in the diesel.... all poverty spec (for a 7er anyway). i ended up with a 735 which was fantastic. struggeld to get over 25mpg on a run though and was about late teens around town....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom