Decisions, decisions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuit

Okay so here are the parameters... I'm approaching 40 and 6'5" and have for a long time wanted to have a proper car that's mine. We've got a Toureg for the family outings and that does brilliantly. I've got a bike for the adrenaline and the commuting but I want a blatant drivers car.

Basic requirements - a comfortable powerful drivers machine, that has more than two seats. Leather, toys etc in abundance. Second hand considered.

Timing- purchasing probably late 2009 or 2010.

Budget - war chest about 40k and I plonk funds in it quite regularly to keep it going, foregoing other luxuries on the basis that I will one day blow it on MY car. Given the timing could get the budget as high as 50k if I wait till 2010 and I dont get fired!

There are lots of cars that I've dismissed for one reason or another...

Astons - lovely but too small for a 6'5 bloke to sit in comfort.
Porsche - never liked them, any of them.
Ferraris, lambo - too flash. and probably too small too.
The big four doors S,E class- I've got a family wagon and whilst I might want the occasional four seat capacity its more coupe I'm after.

short list such as it is-

Merc CLS,CLK,CL

BMW M3,M6 (personal soft spot)

Maserati

Audi S5

New Jag (four doors I know but gorgeous)

I want to really take my time and choose a cracking car, test drive a short list, and end up in 2009/10 with a beast that I've spent eight years planning for.

Any ideas to help?

Biscuit

go for the CL its my dream car for now but definitely gorgeous

Bentley ?? Brooklands or Continental GT? MIGHT BE TOO EXPENSIVE THO?

The C63 is the closest you'll get to a driver's car from MB in your budget, though who knows what will be available in 2 years time.

M5 is your best bet - the M6 really not worth the extra money.

The SL, CL, Maser GranTurismo and Bentley CGT are lovely but just too heavy.

If it were my money I'd forego reliability and plump for a V8 Vantage, but then I'm not 6' 5"!

For £50k I doubt he's after an R129 ;) :D

Basic requirements - a comfortable powerful drivers machine, that has more than two seats. Leather, toys etc in abundance. Second hand considered.

SL has more than two seats, just depends how big your passengers are....:p

I was trying to save him money.....:D

Maserati is the car that I would choose... I drove one once, and it was exquisite

The 90s SL is acar i dream about owning.... love them....

Jaguar XKR?
Porsche Panamera?
Nissan GTR?

would you consider a classic - plenty of interesting supercars for that money (allowing for a sizeable maintenance and fueling regime...)

Ade

Many many thanks for all your ideas.(I would go down the list clicking the thanks button but this is easier)

SL was on the short list but they are numerous in west London and I think that wears down the desirability in my book. The tiny rear seats are a pain too I'd like to feel I could carry the mrs and one of our sproglets when the time came. ("Oi. No puking, no sweets, no chocolate, no milk, no toys, no talking, no crying and none of your crap music - and the same goes for you sonny!")

AM's are out I'm afraid. I spent a weekend in one and had to stop once every three hours for fuel and once every two hours to stretch. Lovely to look at and lovely to drive but I had to wave the white flag after the weekend and say I'd never own one.

Maserati is firming up on the short list.

Like the C63 idea - but stats007 is there an MB drivers car that I'm falling short of in budget terms?

Nissan GTR has tweaked my interest but if its Japanese design feel I'll be driving with one ear pressed to the roof liner? either that or popping out of the sunroof...:D

Wot about a Audi rs6 ?
V10 twin turbo ?
Should be about your price bracket in 2 years.
audi-rs6-avant-2-big.jpg

audi-rs6-avant-1.jpg

audi-rs6-avant-4.jpg

MB don't make that many driver's cars to be honest. The C63 is about as close as you'll get to an offering from BMW.

The new XKR is nice - they may even have an XKRR by then?

GranTurismo is gorgeous but you'll lose a pretty penny and expensive to maintain. A bit lacking in torque for the weight it has to shift.

Audi R8 may be cheap enough in 2 years?

Bently GT
M6 Convertible?
CL Merc? (new shape)
Audi S4 convertible
XKR Jag
CLK55 / 63 too new?

What ever you decide its great looking, I think its almost more fun than when you buy it...

For me as a fun car it would have to be a convertible.

Timing- purchasing probably late 2009 or 2010.

Budget - war chest about 40k and I plonk funds in it quite regularly to keep it going, foregoing other luxuries on the basis that I will one day blow it on MY car. Given the timing could get the budget as high as 50k if I wait till 2010 and I dont get fired!

The perfect everyday driver's/performance/super car. £40k will net you a good one end of next year, with all the toys. That 4.0L V8 at 8200 RPM is like nothing you've ever experienced. If you like your driving, nothing with this degree of versatility even come close to the E92 M3 :)

BMW-M3_Coupe_UK_Version_2008_1024x7.jpg

Seen a few New shape M3...

Just don't look that special even if the driving experience is great.

Perfer the old shape looked 'tuffer'

Image is also a problem, I thought long and hard before buying a 3 series and is why I didn't go for an X5 instead of the ML.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom