Decisions,decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Car
Currently looking
Well I keep drooling over Mercs especially having had one for my hols and loved the sense of occasion when sitting in it and driving it.

Well after speaking yet again to swmbo she says "just get what you want".I thought I knew what I wanted but now I have no idea.

I love the W124 coupes,saloons and wagons.I also think the 190`s are cool too.The W202,W210 & W211`s are nice motors too but seem to rot and seem to suffer with reliability issues.

So what do I use my current car for.I do a total of about 7 or 8000mls per year which includes commuting to work,shopping trips,family holidays.I dont want to spend anymore than 3k though.

This is a kind of brain dump but feel free to comment.

Apologies to trapperjohn for the flakiness.

Possibly a 2.3 or 2.516V given your miles but not sure what you would get for 3K maybe a bit of a rough one so not the best idea..

The coupe 124's are nice but as an only car with kids its a pain getting them in / out all the time of the back?

So a 300 TE 2V or 320TE W124 estate would be on my list. Gret looking car and pleanty of room for kids / holidays etc

£1k buys a reasonably nice 190E 2.0 or even a 2.6 if you look out well. A 2.3/2.5-16 is not what you want on a £3k budget, it'll be a rolling restoration and a bit of a headache unless you're handy with the spanners.

Again, 124 estates are great cars and would be easily within budget for a reasonable one.

Family holidays, shopping trips - sounds like a 124 estate to me :)

Will

Possibly a 2.3 or 2.516V given your miles but not sure what you would get for 3K maybe a bit of a rough one so not the best idea..

The coupe 124's are nice but as an only car with kids its a pain getting them in / out all the time of the back?

So a 300 TE 2V or 320TE W124 estate would be on my list. Gret looking car and pleanty of room for kids / holidays etc

I guess you were talking about 190`s when you mention 2.3 or 2.5 ?
We have one 8yr old child and a couple of small dogs but to be honest we have a 2nd car so this does not really matter so much.The W211 E320CDi we had on holiday swallowed a weeks luggage for two adults,one 16yr old and one 8yr old.

Last edited:
No worries macp. Enjoy the hunt. 124 Estate will do it for you. Mine is my people carrier. My limo. My gardening buddy. Trips to the builders merchant - bring em on. Went down the recycle centre today with a load of garden stuff, back seats dropped & a little trailer on too. (That saved me hiring a skip) It just sits up and asks for more, bit like a border collie (tho not as fast!!) Perhaps more like "the little engine, that could". (Children's Favourites many years ago with Uncle Mac, The Light Programe I do believe) The only problem will be which engine? How many pots? 4 5 or 6 Diesel or petrol. Best engine for me is the 220. Air Con - No Air Con. Oh wheel size too. 15" or 16" I have never gone bigger than 16" and 16" do it for me. They do make the car a little smoother and "fill the arches better" Let us know what you end up with. Make sure its an auto tho. Cant be ****d with all that clutch stuff and waggling a stick about anymore. Good Luck.

It`s not easy to find a rustfree w124 for that money but if you decide about w124TE,there is a member here under the name BOLIDE.Hi might be able to help you find the right S124.

Get a W124 saloon or estate, you will never ever look back! Be prepared though, nothing will compare if you ever decide to change :rock:

IMO the E280 facelift is the pick of the bunch!

What sort of mileage would people consider to be high for these older cars?
Especially petrol cars? I think i get too hung up on higher mileage cars whereby some people dont mind cars with 150K +

Especially petrol cars? I think i get too hung up on higher mileage cars whereby some people dont mind cars with 150K +

I've had a few Merc's over the years, I would buy on condition not mileage. My 1st 124, an E280 had 115k when I bought it in 2003 and that was a 1994 vehicle. I sold it 2 years later at 165k, had the Diff mount, diff seal and a gearbox seal done, that was all! I would buy one tomorrow with 500K on it if the condition and service history was good! :thumb:

I`ve got 156k on my E320 witch is going to have full respray and all the rust sorted.I`m sure i`ll do another 156k without any prob :thumb:

It`s not easy to find a rustfree w124 for that money but if you decide about w124TE,there is a member here under the name BOLIDE.Hi might be able to help you find the right S124.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an S124 ?

Sorry lost my thanks for the useful post ?
Thanks all

I have also seen a few nice looking C240 & C230 sports.Whats the opinion ?

Excuse my ignorance but what is an S124 ?

Sorry lost my thanks for the useful post ?
Thanks all

A w124 estate is s124 the coupe is c124.:thumb:

They will feel slow next to you're T5....

I hear you but for me its not all about speed as long as they dont feel ridiculously underpowered. Im think of the BMW E46 318i with the 8v 1.9 litre engine which was woefully slow.I used to own one.

I like what Mercedes stands for and I like the quality (certainly of the older cars).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom