Decisions SUV`s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think any of the maintenance costs were down to the remap. I bought it with 60K milies and FSH.A Full annual Service + MOT, New discs and pads all round, new wheel bearing, battery, Aircon regas, and a few other preemptive jobs to as it was my Daily Work vehicle and needed to be 100% reliable. Costs were down to it being a big heavy BMW SUV.
The remap completely transformed the car. It was much more responsive nicer to drive, and just as quick as my colleagues X6 40D. The same basic engine with different turbos and ancillaries powers the range with different power outputs up to the triple turbo X5 50d.

The final nail in the coffin was leaking swirl flaps, which is a common issue. The leaking oil saturated the glow plug controller so that would have been over £600 with new glow plugs.

I also have an X6M which I have owned for two years now with a 650bhp remap. In contrast, although I only do about 2000 miles a year, that has cost me virtually nothing in maintenance. Just rear pads and an Oil Service.

My ML has probably been the best all-round car I've ever had, and is by far the most economical.

It's also by a long way the best looking SUV out there, the X5 and particularly the Porker are too ugly lo live, let alone tell people you paid your hard-earned for one.

I've had no "enforced" big-bills at all, but did change the shocks because it was getting a bit wayward (at 90K miles) on bumpy roads. That lead to some additional expense in the suspension department, but that was my stupid fault for breaking things...

With a Brabus tuning box, the 0-60 comes down to around 7.3 sec, so reasonable go when you need it, and the handling is not at all bad considering the height of the centre-of-gravity. It's still surprisingly chuckable, at least it was this morning around the Reigate one-way system!

If you go for the much better looking W164, rather the later model, you will be rewarded with more cash in your pocket to offset its generally less civilised nature. Still a Mercedes, though.

I hope the choice will be as easy for you as it was for me.

When they are back open, Mercland have a couple of ML's that fit your bill.....

Was on there looking for a friend who needs a second car during this current place that we're in as he is putting too many miles on his (nice) station and weekend car now the trains are too intermittent (and he fancies the nice white ML on there as a Multi purpose solution to multiple needs he is man mathing up....)

I’ve had a couple of L322s, never owned an Amazon but have had a drive of one and it felt bigger to me, might just be how it felt but would say marginally wider and maybe a tiny bit longer, they’re definately a big car though, more GL sized than ML!.

Compared to the L322 they are stone age - separate chassis, solid axle and very understressed engines. The 4 speed auto still has separated ECU. As Lee mentioned, it makes them feel very different to drive by comparison.

To be fair if I ever did get another Range Rover I think a 4.4 TDV8 would be the one I’d go for, last of the L322s so got most of the bugs ironed out by then, the 4.4 doesn’t suffer the same issues with turbos blowing that the 3.6 did and it has the ZF 8 speed which again doesn’t seem to suffer the same issues as the earlier 6 speed did(sadly I had this issue in my RRS)
Still will have the potential to cause problems though but to be fair stuff like the air suspension isn’t nearly as costly or as common as people think to sort.
The last of the L322's are - relatively speaking - unbelievable value for money in my opinion, the 4.4 TDV8 is a brute!
For the OP, finding a SWB Landcruiser in the first place is very hard work and they go for very strong money, if you wanted a SWB have you considered a MK4 Shogun?, there are more of them around and could be had well in budget, build wise they’re not quite up there with a Landcruiser but they’re not a million miles off, very tough and dependable too, only thing is the 3.2 DiD engine really does sound like a tractor!.
Landcruiser owners I know swear by them so I always give that credence.

@KennyN have you thought about a pickup? Easier for the tip runs etc? Plus you'll be looking at something a lot newer like a 2013 VW Amarok or a (my personal favourite) 2015 Mitsubishi L200?

@KennyN have you thought about a pickup? Easier for the tip runs etc?

That would depend on local regs, our recycling centre treats pickups - even privately owned - differently. You need a separate permit and it's much more limited.

You could get a really low mileage Lexus RX400h your budget, or if you want more toys & tech the later RX450h, low tax, reliable, very comfortable

My ML has probably been the best all-round car I've ever had, and is by far the most economical.

It's also by a long way the best looking SUV out there, the X5 and particularly the Porker are too ugly lo live, let alone tell people you paid your hard-earned for one.

I've had no "enforced" big-bills at all, but did change the shocks because it was getting a bit wayward (at 90K miles) on bumpy roads. That lead to some additional expense in the suspension department, but that was my stupid fault for breaking things...

With a Brabus tuning box, the 0-60 comes down to around 7.3 sec, so reasonable go when you need it, and the handling is not at all bad considering the height of the centre-of-gravity. It's still surprisingly chuckable, at least it was this morning around the Reigate one-way system!

If you go for the much better looking W164, rather the later model, you will be rewarded with more cash in your pocket to offset its generally less civilised nature. Still a Mercedes, though.

I hope the choice will be as easy for you as it was for me.
I agree, the W164 is a handsome thing.

full

full

Compared to the L322 they are stone age - separate chassis, solid axle and very understressed engines. The 4 speed auto still has separated ECU. As Lee mentioned, it makes them feel very different to drive by comparison.

The 100 Series I'd agree, the 200 Series not so much but then you're looking at £25k for a 2008/2009 one of those, compared to £5-6k for a 2008 L322.They are that tough,they are that reliable but unfortunately,especially when comparing to a similar age L322, they are that expensive, and not quite as nice to drive on the road.

The last of the L322's are - relatively speaking - unbelievable value for money in my opinion, the 4.4 TDV8 is a brute!

Landcruiser owners I know swear by them so I always give that credence.

Yes they are exceptional value, a friend in the trade has seen some go through at auctions at £7k ish!, at that money I'd be very tempted by one myself!, if I got another Range Rover it would be as late, low mileage L322 as I could get for my money, I'm not convinced the L405 is better built or even worth the extra outlay to be honest.

I've had L322s a L320 Sport and a Landcruiser, loved the L322s, hated the Sport-it was the one that cost me a fortune! and loved the Landcruiser, if I'm being honest no, they're not as nice to drive as a Range Rover, the seats aren't as comfortable, the interior not as plush or well thought out but they're still pretty nice and for the extra piece of mind when it comes to reliability, yes I'd have another.

The 100 Series I'd agree, the 200 Series not so much but then you're looking at £25k for a 2008/2009 one of those, compared to £5-6k for a 2008 L322.They are that tough,they are that reliable but unfortunately,especially when comparing to a similar age L322, they are that expensive, and not quite as nice to drive on the road.

Given the budget the 200 was instantly out the window, as you say they're another world in price, even now. Which is annoying, as having had a Colorado and a 100-series, I'd really like one!

Given the budget the 200 was instantly out the window, as you say they're another world in price, even now. Which is annoying, as having had a Colorado and a 100-series, I'd really like one!

Agreed!, I’d love a 200 series too, but let’s face it an L322 could lunch it’s gearbox, blow its turbos and air suspension and still come in absolutely miles cheaper when it’s all fixed.
I do love the 200 series but it’s far too expensive for what it is.
I’ve always quite wanted an 80 Series before they climb in value too much.

Lots of varied replies , thanks.

Dont fancy a pickup truck as there is no real requirements for one.

Lexus RX is a bit of a Marmite looking vehicle as is the Toyota, although possibly the best as far as reliability and toys go.

Porsche was a curve ball consideration possibly due to the current pricing and "badge"

Tax on the ML is £570 , tax on the X5 is £325 (same as the Subaru)

Touareg , possibly

Luckily there is a garage just 200m from my front door that i walk pass daily that has every car that i am considering ML / X5 / Cayenne , they even have a few Toyota`s / Shoguns unfortunately they are obviously closed at present.

Used Cars and Vans Glasgow, Used Car and Van Dealer in Hillington | SR Motor Company Limited

K

ML W164 Tax is £555, just paid it...

How come the X5 gets away with less, is it really a lower-polluter?

The Government could PAY the Tax for me but I still wouldn't want one. The neighbours would want a Council Tax rebate for a start....

Quite like the Alloys though...

If only the "Road Tax" amount you paid gave you an equivalent quality of road......my local roads would be red-carpeted for the amount I pay!

......my local roads would be red-carpeted for the amount we pay!

Ditto , £480 for the BM , £325 for the Forester , £145 for the wifes Juke , Luckily £30 for boys Fiesta , if i tax the bikes it will be another £200 ish.

If i decide to go for the ML it will be almost £1k for my cars to do 3- 4k miles a year , luckily car / bikes are my only "vice".

K

Lexus RX is a bit of a Marmite looking vehicle as is the Toyota, although possibly the best as far as reliability and toys go.

Porsche was a curve ball consideration possibly due to the current pricing and "badge"

Touareg , possibly

Luckily there is a garage just 200m from my front door that i walk pass daily that has every car that i am considering ML / X5 / Cayenne , they even have a few Toyota`s / Shoguns unfortunately they are obviously closed at present.

Used Cars and Vans Glasgow, Used Car and Van Dealer in Hillington | SR Motor Company Limited

K

Don’t think you could go too far wrong with any of them to be honest.
I’d not rule out a 4.4 TDV8 Range Rover either, they’re the most well sorted of the bunch and like SPX said earlier, fantastic value for money at the moment.

Touareg , possibly

K
I know that place ; they had a Thistle Green 350SLC , with green velour interior that sat on their forecourt for YEARS .

Touareg , possibly

K
That garage looks to have some nice stock. What are they like deal with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom