Decisions SUV`s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The reason I mentioned Jeep Cherokee I had one on hire for work in the USA (2018) and was really taken with it I am no fan of 4x4 SUV (but I never turn down a free upgrade !) and I realise I spent 3 weeks with it in the country it was designed for so my opinion might be skewed a little ,but the thing really grew on me and was a great drive. It had a petrol V6 3 litre (or something) engine and seemed quite well screwed together for an American car.

No idea what engine is available here in the UK - a crappy diesel no doubt - but one of these a few years old can't be too expensive over here.
Jeep 2.jpg

Jeep.jpg

I’d much prefer a W164 ML63 to a G-Wagon of this vintage.

Got to agree with this , especially the one in the pics a few post up.

That garage looks to have some nice stock. What are they like deal with?

No idea as i have never delt with them , a few observations though.

Never really seen anyone buying / browsing their stock.

Loads of cars that never seem to move on , Alpina / M BM`s , Porsche`s , Lotus etc which i accept are quite niche but you would think eventually they would have shifted or been moved elsewhere.

Passed earlier on today and noticed a nice looking CL63 , in black.

Dont know if they still have the AMG GTc as they had one a few weeks ago , but i cant imagine handing over a six figure sum to what is essentially a back street garage.

K

Reactions: 219
Got to agree with this , especially the one in the pics a few post up.

No idea as i have never delt with them , a few observations though.

Never really seen anyone buying / browsing their stock.

Loads of cars that never seem to move on , Alpina / M BM`s , Porsche`s , Lotus etc which i accept are quite niche but you would think eventually they would have shifted or been moved elsewhere.

Passed earlier on today and noticed a nice looking CL63 , in black.

Dont know if they still have the AMG GTc as they had one a few weeks ago , but i cant imagine handing over a six figure sum to what is essentially a back street garage.

K
That place has changed hands ( or at least trading name ) a few times . Certainly that C107 lay there for many years .

No idea what engine is available here in the UK - a crappy diesel no doubt -
This bad boy...:D
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pity it's not an LWB.

Although , if you actually want to use it for its designed purpose , SWB has better angles of attack and departure , also less likely to be caught on summits .

There was a nice AMG one , at twice the price .

I was trying to stick , sort of , to the OP's stated budget .

Sadly , G-Wagens seem to have rock solid residuals .

I’ve had a play in a Jeep GC Red Vapour and it was a riot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only been seriously off road in a fire brigade Land Rover ; towards the limit sideways at around 45 degrees tilt ; going over edges where you couldn't see the bottom over the bonnet , fording rivers halfway up the doors - very capable vehicles : I like them .

I imagine G-wagens have very similar capabilities , but have only been on tarmac in them .

A while ago a friend of mine was an RAC man. He said one of his commonest winter jobs was pulling X5s out of ditches.

Hope this helps.

^^ I seem to remember Jeremy Clarkson and the two other kids trying to get up a hill in 3 4x4's years ago (I think an MB was involved) the X5 was useless.

A while ago a friend of mine was an RAC man. He said one of his commonest winter jobs was pulling X5s out of ditches.

Hope this helps.

^^ I seem to remember Jeremy Clarkson and the two other kids trying to get up a hill in 3 4x4's years ago (I think an MB was involved) the X5 was useless.

A colleague told me of a long traffic queue in a Swiss mountain village during ski season. When they got to the front of the queue it was being caused by an X5 on UK plates that was struggling to move anywhere and was blocking half the road...

A colleague told me of a long traffic queue in a Swiss mountain village during ski season. When they got to the front of the queue it was being caused by an X5 on UK plates that was struggling to move anywhere and was blocking half the road...

UK prediliction for buying a SUV and then choosing oversized alloy rims and rubber band low profile road tyres.

UK market may not even offer the smaller rims on some models.

UK prediliction for buying a SUV and then choosing oversized alloy rims and rubber band low profile road tyres.

UK market may not even offer the smaller rims on some models.
Yes, some immense sizes on X5s - like 315/35 r20 I think? Nothing wrong with that for those who like it, unless they try to drive in snow and ice!

Reactions: 219
I've only been seriously off road in a fire brigade Land Rover ; towards the limit sideways at around 45 degrees tilt ; going over edges where you couldn't see the bottom over the bonnet , fording rivers halfway up the doors - very capable vehicles : I like them .

I imagine G-wagens have very similar capabilities , but have only been on tarmac in them .

I too would rate the Landrover as a real hoot off road. Drove several 110s in quite extreme conditions.

However, on the road they are utterly dreadful.

We also had a 4x4 Bedford truck. That would go places that the Landrover couldn't, mainly because of its superior ground clearance!

The best compromise between off road and on road is a Landcruiser as far as my experience goes. But you are far better off with a road car for the road.

Many decades ago at work, I had to tow a large generator with a V8 Land Rover. Apart from it probably being against the Geneva Convention, motorway service stations were barely close enough together to prevent it running out of petrol.

Many decades ago at work, I had to tow a large generator with a V8 Land Rover. Apart from it probably being against the Geneva Convention, motorway service stations were barely close enough together to prevent it running out of petrol.
I used to SO much want one of these, loved them when I was a kid, but there’s no way I could stomach the 12mpg reality...

Attempting to drive without chains where they were mandatory ?

It is indeed the tyres and not the car. Expecting a very wide, very low profile, very stiff, ultra high performance summer tyre to perform in snow and ice is barking mad.

Yes, some immense sizes on X5s - like 315/35 r20 I think? Nothing wrong with that for those who like it, unless they try to drive in snow and ice!

Winter tyres are available in these silly-big sizes, and they work a treat whether fitted to an SUV or a supercar.

I too would rate the Landrover as a real hoot off road. Drove several 110s in quite extreme conditions.

However, on the road they are utterly dreadful.

We also had a 4x4 Bedford truck. That would go places that the Landrover couldn't, mainly because of its superior ground clearance!

The best compromise between off road and on road is a Landcruiser as far as my experience goes. But you are far better off with a road car for the road.
I had a TD5 110 as my 'company car' for a couple of years , once you master them , it is easy to terrify people by throwing them round bends and across roundabouts with alarming amounts of body roll ; biggest drawback was the turning circle reminiscent of the Titanic .

The driving position , making it obligatory to roll the window down and stick your elbow out , was also a drawback .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom