Declaring SORN on a New Keeper Slip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I have a small problem... and am getting really annoyed at the DVLA.

I have two new cars, both with the tax disc expiring on Wednesday. I don't intent to re-tax either for a few months while I get one ready...

That said, how do I declare SORN on these?

The new keeper slip has a 12-digit reference number, not an 11-digit one as needed by the online tax system. So the online system can't be used (I tried).

So next, I goto my local post office, and try to declare SORN. They couldn't do it either. I can get a new tax disk, but I cannot declare them SORN with only the new keeper supplement.

So in desperation I call the DVLA. A helpful message tells me that their 270 lines are busy (do they really only have 270 lines for all of the UK?). After 30 minutes of trying and holding, I get through.

"Sorry sir, as your name is not the same as the registered keeper, we cannot declare it SORN for you. We can send you a form V890 to fill out, or you can download it online - but you're still liable to be fined between the 1st of October and when we process the form. Or wait until you have the V5, and then declare SORN, but again, you're liable to be fined".

I mean... seriously?!

So I have to apply for SORN, but they won't let me do so...

M.

How can they fine you if you aren't the keeper - or am I missing something?

He is the keeper...they are new to him, the V5 has been sent off, and all he has is the new keeper slips.

Exactly... so on Wednesday, the old keeper will be "technically illegal" as he will still be on the system as the keeper, and with the car untaxed/unsorned. Which means he'll get a warning letter (which he can do nothing about, as he won't have the V5 anymore to declare sorn with).

Then, when I get the V5 in 2-4 weeks time, the cars will have technically been unlicensed for 2-4 weeks. The old keeper would have gotten a fine, which he'll redirect to myself as the new keeper.

What a wonderful world of VOSA.... not a happy bunny. Much easier before all this malarchy.

M.

There should time allowed to buy road tax... or in your case, SORN. New owners are in the same boat when buying new cars from 1 October 2014.

I am sure new owners will have to wait for the new V5 as well in order to purchase road tax or declare SORN.

Major774 said:
There should time allowed to buy road tax... or in your case, SORN. New owners are in the same boat when buying new cars from 1 October 2014. I am sure new owners will have to wait for the new V5 as well in order to purchase road tax or declare SORN.

Exactly, you can just see the issues now.
"Sorry can't tax it as its already taxed (by the previous owner) so as the new owner you can't tax it sir!" Computer says no!

Reminds me of when I bought my rest flat, couldn't get the BT line activated as the existing line hadn't been ceased by the previous owner. Took a week to sort that out lots of calls to the estate agents (on my free line). Hope the DVLA have tested their mechanics of this process a little better!

That's ridiculous.
It's all a rouse to make you pay a months tax. They want you to tax it then relinquish 5 months of it when you get the v5 back. Perhaps you can do less than a month at a time with this new system but either way they've got you to ransom.

I've had more than a few run ins with vosa and when they stop being able to give answers to your reasonable questions they just call in the law.

Makes me mad.

-t

That's ridiculous.
It's all a rouse to make you pay a months tax. They want you to tax it then relinquish 5 months of it when you get the v5 back. Perhaps you can do less than a month at a time with this new system but either way they've got you to ransom.

I've had more than a few run ins with vosa and when they stop being able to give answers to your reasonable questions they just call in the law.

Makes me mad.

-t

VOSA and the DVLA are two separate entities, there is form available to declare SORN before you receive the V5 as stated in the first post and the DVLA would have no defence for fining someone who followed their own procedures.

There should time allowed to buy road tax... or in your case, SORN. New owners are in the same boat when buying new cars from 1 October 2014.

I am sure new owners will have to wait for the new V5 as well in order to purchase road tax or declare SORN.

As I read it, if you have the new keeper slip then that is all you need, as previously, to purchase VED.

VOSA and the DVLA are two separate entities, there is form available to declare SORN before you receive the V5 as stated in the first post and the DVLA would have no defence for fining someone who followed their own procedures.

My bad, I meant DVLA. Never had an issue with VOSA.
-t

Except the kind lady on the phone explicitly stated that I was liable to be fined for the time the car was untaxed and un-sorned until they processed the form V890...

M.

Except the kind lady on the phone explicitly stated that I was liable to be fined for the time the car was untaxed and un-sorned until they processed the form V890...

M.

I am sure that, if tried, could be challenged, it takes them so long to do something it will almost certainly cross over in the post:thumb:

M.

Like most min-wage call handlers - they read a script but never take a minute to comprehend what it is they are actually saying.

Just download and fill in the V890, don't worry about the "theoretical" possibility of being fined for no declaration in the few days posting/processing the forms, it never happens (I believe, but not 100% sure, DVLA unofficially give 6 weeks grace for things like this anyway).

The saga continues!

The new V5 arrived today, but my name was misspelt. This has previously happened to me (most people see Michele but read Michelle), and I usually just call the DVLA, give them the change and they do it.

So I call the DVLA, but they "Cannot do this on the phone sir. Please fill out section 6 (New Keeper or new name/new address) and send it back to the DVLA."

Again, I ask if I should/can sorn the document with this V5, and am told that I should SORN it with this V5, but that after they change my name, that I may need to SORN it again.

So, by that logic, if I were to tax it, would I need to tax it again I ask? The lady isn't sure.

I'm starting to really HATE this...

M.

EDIT: Just opened the online taxing system, and it seems like they've made a change..
https://www.taxdisc.service.gov.uk/
It now has an option to tax the car with the new keeper supplement...
but the SORN system:
https://www.sorn.service.gov.uk/
does not...

Both in BETA... since when is it acceptable to put a BETA system instead of the live one?

Last edited:

Both in BETA... since when is it acceptable to put a BETA system instead of the live one?

When all the grief, hassle and penalties lie entirely with the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom