Dedicated Luggage for R231 SL400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoristheBounce

Car
EQC 400 4Matic AMG in Brilliant Blue SL400 AMG Sport in Polar White
Hi All,

I'm about to order the luggage set dedicated to the SL400 (R231) model.

Has anyone some they would like to sell please?

Cheers

Nev

Are you looking at the cks performance roadsterbag set? I hear that it is good quality but I cannot quite bring myself to spend that much and we are going to make do with a few large soft bags.

Bought two of these which fit behind the seats pretty well, feel decent quality and are currently £16 each! Tripp Black 'Ultra Lite' Large Holdall

I also balk at the price of the cks bags, I either use 1 large suitcase or two overhead cabin cases which fit nicely, then, if need be, squishy bags to fill the gaps. Can get a surprisingly large amount in.

I'd also warn against bespoke luggage sets. After 45 years of convertible ownership, and having had lots of friends who've spent serious dosh on bespoke bags for their latest two seaters, the squishy generic bag has to be the best way.

Buy some to fit your car, for sure, but the soft bag will always "bend" to your level of fill.

For the weekend away, it's only half full, for the fortnight it's full to the gunwales.

Be particularly wary / sceptical about a nifty bespoke bag behind the seats: it's an invitation to be stolen wherever you park the car, the shape's an inefficient liability if you want to use it for trips without the car, and hopeless for storing the snacks, drinks and paraphernalia on a European tour.

Doesn't need to be JD Sports, Louis Vuitton or Giorgio Armani can provide R231 style.

(Harry Metcalfe is fun on packing for European trips, taking pleasure in popping two Brompton bikes into the boot of a Testarossa on a 2,000 mile trip to the Riviera, swopping them for two crates of wine for the return journey.)

Well,

I already have the behind the seat case from CKS which is excellent, I'll just close the top if I have to park up with it in place, no big problem.

With up coming journeys imminent I have just invested in the full range for the boot, yes I baulked at the price as well but there isn't anything out there as good at fitting in the space allowed with the roof down.

Having received the behind the seat case yesterday I was impressed with the quality and couldn't see myself pulling up outside a five star hotel in the South of France with a ruck sack, so bit the bullet today and ordered them. :eek:

I'd also warn against bespoke luggage sets. After 45 years of convertible ownership, and having had lots of friends who've spent serious dosh on bespoke bags for their latest two seaters, the squishy generic bag has to be the best way.

Buy some to fit your car, for sure, but the soft bag will always "bend" to your level of fill.

For the weekend away, it's only half full, for the fortnight it's full to the gunwales.

Be particularly wary / sceptical about a nifty bespoke bag behind the seats: it's an invitation to be stolen wherever you park the car, the shape's an inefficient liability if you want to use it for trips without the car, and hopeless for storing the snacks, drinks and paraphernalia on a European tour.

Doesn't need to be JD Sports, Louis Vuitton or Giorgio Armani can provide R231 style.

(Harry Metcalfe is fun on packing for European trips, taking pleasure in popping two Brompton bikes into the boot of a Testarossa on a 2,000 mile trip to the Riviera, swopping them for two crates of wine for the return journey.)
Harry Metcalfe is always fun and measured and interesting - I want his life!!!

Well,

I already have the behind the seat case from CKS which is excellent, I'll just close the top if I have to park up with it in place, no big problem.

With up coming journeys imminent I have just invested in the full range for the boot, yes I baulked at the price as well but there isn't anything out there as good at fitting in the space allowed with the roof down.

Having received the behind the seat case yesterday I was impressed with the quality and couldn't see myself pulling up outside a five star hotel in the South of France with a ruck sack, so bit the bullet today and ordered them. :eek:
Glad it is of a good enough quality - sounds tempting - to Mike's concern about it getting nicked, that shouldn't be too much of an issue on the upcoming Scotland tour - we will be lucky to get the top down at all looking at the forecast! Does it have a little cut-out where the rear storage box in the centre console hits the rear bulkhead - that is higher than the two shelves on either side in mine - or does it just sit on top?

Glad it is of a good enough quality - sounds tempting - to Mike's concern about it getting nicked, that shouldn't be too much of an issue on the upcoming Scotland tour - we will be lucky to get the top down at all looking at the forecast! Does it have a little cut-out where the rear storage box in the centre console hits the rear bulkhead - that is higher than the two shelves on either side in mine - or does it just sit on top?
Yes I think you are going to need your wellies rather than sun hat.

Regarding the hump in the middle; what they do rather than making the case an odd shape is put a bit of Velcro on the bottom of the case at either side of the hump and there is a removable Velcro padded piece of case material (a bit like a sausage) which attaches to the bottom of the case which then makes it sit higher than the hump. These just pull off when you take the case out of the car.

Not ideal but it works and means the case is nice and square, its actually more a usable size than I thought it would be.

Yes it’s snowing up here !!!!

Are you looking at the cks performance roadsterbag set? I hear that it is good quality but I cannot quite bring myself to spend that much and we are going to make do with a few large soft bags.

Bought two of these which fit behind the seats pretty well, feel decent quality and are currently £16 each! Tripp Black 'Ultra Lite' Large Holdall
Thanks for the heads up on these. Just ordered a pair and received an introductory discount so only £28.80 today.

Ideally love the help you can find on this forum!

I purchased a nice grey hold-all on wheels from Aldi a few weeks back. From memory it was around £15 and it fits comfortably inside my boot with the top down. This leaves plenty of usable space behind the seats for items required on a journey.

Enjoy your trip to sunny Scotland, there plenty to see.
As for the weather, unless it’s raining you can have the top down anytime, you just turn up the heater as required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom