Deep cleaning interior plastics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
OK this weekend I'm going to attack detail and valet my mates newly purchased CLK W208.

The interior plastic surfaces on his have quite badly ground in dirt in the grain, I've never valeted one that has been this bad before. I had a brief look last weekend and all the usual products Auto Glym etc won't touch it, in fact nothing I have in my garage makes any impression on it. Does anyone know what the pro's use or has anyone cleaned similar and can recommend.

TIA

I'd look into isopropyl alcohol or neat Fairy Liquid and a microfibre cloth.

There are many aftermarket 'moisturisers' to recondition the surface but you really need to get into the built up grime before you do anything else.

Warm soapy water and a nail brush?

I have used Autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner to good effect before, lifted unbelievable amounts of muck out of the grain of the vinyl. Use a microfibre cloth to apply and remove with a fresh cloth.

I've got Isopropyl Alcohol never thought of using that as I thought it may be a bit harsh. Neat Fairy and microfibre or nail brush doesn't touch it.

Hi,
I have often wondered about using one of those small steam cleaners to clean the dash to remove all the years of silicone and ground in dirt on the dash of my AMG.
I have bought some Meguairs dash restorer, I trialled it on my Audi, I already thought the dash very clean or so I thought I rubbed it into a small area of the dash and you could see a definite line between what I had cleaned and what I had,nt, worth trying?
Fabric & Interior Care

Warm soapy water and a nail brush?

I have used Autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner to good effect before, lifted unbelievable amounts of muck out of the grain of the vinyl. Use a microfibre cloth to apply and remove with a fresh cloth.

Tried both those my first thought was AG VRC but does nothing :(

Carplan vinyl seat cleaner always worked one ground in dirt on old seats, not sure if its still available though.

Can I go and buy that (if so where) or is it ring up the Auto Smart guy?

Yeah, his name is Shaun.

I'll give him a ring tomorrow and order you a gallon? Can't remember how much it is though...

Yeah, his name is Shaun.

I'll give him a ring tomorrow and order you a gallon? Can't remember how much it is though...

Cheers Lee thats very kind, I can pop through and pick it up and straighten up with you. You've got my mobile haven't you, if not I'll PM it you.

Is this the stuff you dilute spray on and let dwell? or do you use it neat?

Thanks mate this is much appreciated :thumb:

Cheers Lee thats very kind, I can pop through and pick it up and straighten up with you. You've got my mobile haven't you, if not I'll PM it you.

Is this the stuff you dilute spray on and let dwell? or do you use it neat?

Thanks mate this is much appreciated :thumb:
No problem.

You can see it in action if you want, bring the offending car with you.

And yes, it's the stuff you leave on for maybe 30 seconds and then just wipe off.

Have a look at a product called Janitol, and its variants. We used it when I was in the car trade in the 70s, and it was very effective.

Baby Wipes, seriously, they work!

Are you sure it's dirt and not the plastic deteriorating? The stuff youv'e tried should shift just about anything - baby wipes will remove gloss paint if it's not 100% dry and cured.

Are you sure it's dirt and not the plastic deteriorating? The stuff youv'e tried should shift just about anything - baby wipes will remove gloss paint if it's not 100% dry and cured.

Yep it's ingrained black dirt in light grey plastic, the things I've tried remove some of it but not all.

Diluted traffic film remover and a nail brush will shift it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom