Deep scratch removal ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redstev

Car
C180
Hi folks

Planning on giving the motor a good wash and wax this weekend.

Got a C class in dark graphite colour, noticed a few light scratches and one deep scratch on the bodywork.
Any tips on how to get rid of these ? Can you recommend any products to buy and how to apply.........

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Depending on how did the scratch is you will proberly need to hit it with 2500 wet & dry followed by 3000. Then knock out the sanding marks on a LC wool pad and 105. This should be able to sort the issue. Then just refine on a soft polishing pad with 205 to get it perfect:)

Planning on giving the motor a good wash and wax this weekend.

Depending on how did the scratch is you will proberly need to hit it with 2500 wet & dry followed by 3000. Then knock out the sanding marks on a LC wool pad and 105. This should be able to sort the issue. Then just refine on a soft polishing pad with 205 to get it perfect:)

Do you think that fits with the O/p description of a good wash and wax?

:confused:

Ok, even I'm confused by this, I'll bite...

Mike was just giving advice on how to remove a scratch, which is what the OP was seeking advice on :dk:

The O/p said he was going to hand wash and wax the car, not wet sand and machine polish it.

What products can he use as part of his hand application method to remove the deep scratch?

The O/p said he was going to hand wash and wax the car, not wet sand and machine polish it.

What products can he use as part of his hand application method to remove the deep scratch?

OP didn't mention hand anything :dk:

Anyway, I think Mike was just describing the best way to remove a deep scratch.

You're a funny fellow, Will :rolleyes:

:D

OP didn't mention hand anything :dk:

Anyway, I think Mike was just describing the best way to remove a deep scratch.

You're a funny fellow, Will :rolleyes:

:D

Precise is the word you are looking for.

Lets ask the O/p is he intends to hand wash and wax his car or whether he has access to and the ability to use a rotary machine.

His post shows a lack of clarity of this subject so by my best deduction, leads me to believe he is a novice at car cleaning and scratch removal.

To the O/p.

Are you a novice at car paint restoration or are you in fact a skilled "detailer" masquerading as a novice?

Precise is the word you are looking for.

Lets ask the O/p is he intends to hand wash and wax his car or whether he has access to and the ability to use a rotary machine.

His post shows a lack of clarity of this subject so by my best deduction, leads me to believe he is a novice at car cleaning and scratch removal.

To the O/p.

Are you a novice at car paint restoration or are you in fact a skilled "detailer" masquerading as a novice?

Lol

Precise, presumptions :dk:
Anyway, you know what I mean :rolleyes:
But I know what you mean too.
You just come at some strange angles :rolleyes:

Regardless of the OP's level of competency, Mike's suggestion is probably the best way to remove a deep scratch, which is what the OP was seeking.

:thumb:

Got a C class in dark graphite colour, noticed a few light scratches and one deep scratch on the bodywork.
Any tips on how to get rid of these ? Can you recommend any products to buy and how to apply.........

3000 grit wet and dry sandpaper, T-Cut and a decent polish should do it.

Try the T-Cut and polish first and if the scratch is still visible gently apply the sandpaper.

Im a little confused too,

The op said that he was going to give his car a good wash and wax.

Straight away, I can see the man is fullay aware of how to hand wash, dry it, polish and wax it.

As stated in his post, the question on what he was asking is, 'He has some light scratches and one deep one, anyone know the best way on how to remove them'

So I answered the ops question. Whether or not he has the confidents to do this, this would be the correct answer in how to remove the defect in question.

On ceremic laquer I also would not hand polish 3000 sanding marks. It will be easy to flat out with 3000 if its not that deep, but trying to remove 3000 sanding marks out of MB paint by hand will leave dull lines in the paint that are visable under most light sources.

So whatever the op is capible off, at least he now knows what the best method is to remove a deep scratch to leave a clear finish.

Kind Regards,

Mike

How then do you remove these scratches from the ceramic, is there a way to do this without repainting...?

Hi guys

Thanks for advise, I didn't intend to start a fight though.

I was only intending a wash wax and seal at the weekend, I don't have access to any pro cleaning kit and wondered if T cut or something like that would fix some of these scratches..
Thanks

Don't forget you'll also need a camera with at least a terabyte of memory to take pictures before,during and after .;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if he just took it to a car wash after this thread :D

Even if you had the correct kit if its a deep scratch then I wouldn't go sanding anything without seeking advice on if scratch has gone through the lacquer, you will do more harm than good. If you don't have any detailing experience best thing to do DIY is apply some water to the scratch if its deep (deep = can feel it with your nail), if the water masks the scratch then you could dry it and apply some clear lacquer with a fine brush (not the one that comes with touch up pots) to touch it up. The lacquer will take the edge off the scratch and not too drastic to correct if you decide to seek professional advice.

Hi guys

Thanks for advise, I didn't intend to start a fight though.

I was only intending a wash wax and seal at the weekend, I don't have access to any pro cleaning kit and wondered if T cut or something like that would fix some of these scratches..
Thanks

Ahem... ;)

Dieselman, I'm really sorry but at the end if the day the op plain and simple asked how do you remove a deep scratch. As a professional I can only answer with what is the best way to effectively remove a deep scratch. I can not say, ' yes use t-cut it'll fix your scratch'. Because in all honesty it won't. If I was the op I would want to know the ACTUAL way to remove a deep defect. Not a quick fix to mask to up for a month or two. Simples ;)

Stop bluffing Detailed.

The O/p is a novice and wanted advice on how he may remove the scratches on his car...by hand.
You went off into another universe to prove you can polish a car with a machine, but as I originally pointed out, that didn't answer the O/p's query.

Turn a novice loose with a wheel and he'll end up with more then a deep scratch:eek:

Depending on how deep of a scratch OP can use a clear coat scratch pen which will fill the scratch and with a bit of white polishing compound look better then what he started with.
Turtle Wax, Simoniz and a few others make the clear coat pen.

If it's deep and into the color coat the old school method would be using matching touch up paint applied with the end of a paper match or thin brush overfilling the scratch..let it completely dry and rub it out.

If the scratches are swirl marks then a hand polish will improve the finish

Ed A.

Last edited:
I do apologise for any correct information I've given. Put some pictures up of the scratch your worried about, it may be easier then I believe it to be:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom